GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS300 2jzge Engine Stuttering (suspect coil)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-16, 12:24 AM
JoshDray
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy GS300 2jzge Engine Stuttering (suspect coil)

Hey all, I recently picked up a 1998 gs300 with a 2jzge, a while ago I accidentally dropped a screw under the front coil pack and had to take the front coil pack off to get it out. When reinstalling it I broke the 2 pin plug that went onto it so i just placed the pins onto the connector while I waited for a new plug to arrive from Japan.

Meanwhile the engine would stutter around the 2400-3200rpm (sounded like it was redlining) mark when the engine was warm and put under a decent load, it would only do it occasionally and thought it was the plug. I would put my foot down about 1/4 of the way and it would stutter in low rpm's

I installed the plug two days ago and the problem has gotten worse and as I was diagnosing it, I broke the HT lead retention lead clip on that coil, and now that's coming from Japan (yay)

Now the stuttering has gotten a LOT worse so in an attempt to fix it while the new clip is coming from Japan I ziptied it down to secure it.

That was last night and i took it for a drive and it still did it and also on the way to work this morning and on the way home.

When I got home it sat for about 30 minutes and took my step dad for a drive to show him the fault and it wouldn't do it? I got it to do it a few times but nowhere near as bad, decided to let it idle for 5 minutes to build up some more heat and took it out by myself and it did the tiniest stutter when I put my foot down in about 10 minutes of thrashing..

Anyone had anything else like this?? Makes me seem to think coils but I've looked over it very thoroughly and cant see any kind of tiny fractures or cracks

Any help would be MUCH appreciated, thanks in advance