GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Upgraded sound system SUBWOOFER ISSUE

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-16, 07:26 PM
mizike
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgraded sound system SUBWOOFER ISSUE

I have put alot of sound systems in my cars and NEVER have I had a subwoofer sound SOO BAD as it does in this 2002 LEXUS GS300 TRUNK. I even removed the factory sub to allow a hole type port or slot for sound to go into the cabin. I didnt want the crazy heart pounding bass I usually have so I just bought a 10 inch JLw6V3 High OUTPUT box and sub with 600 watts RMS going to it which should be AWESOME. If I open the TRUNK the bass sounds amazing and just like it should, soon as I shut the trunk, 80 percent of the bass is gone, just gone. UNREAL. I have never had a trunk do this much and its a ported high output JL sub. I have owned many companies of subs and JL has always been solid but overpriced, I used this because it fits right in the back area of the trunk between the humps which keeps my full trunk space available. ANY IDEAS? Do I seal up the FACTORY SUB HOLE? Is it as simple as changing where the sub fires? This is the sub I have and box and as you can see GREAT reviews and I had no doubt, because JL builds great products they are just expensive. I only went with JL because this box takes up no room in my trunk which is what I need. In my SAAB the bass was SICK but I lost over half my trunk with the size of the box and one 12 inch sub. I just need this sub to sound like it should and how it sounds with the TRUNK OPEN LOL, which is so odd. Like the bass is cancelling itself. I just dont know a solution. THANKS FOR ANY TIPS from people that have systems in their LEXUS TRUNKS. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1369331...9746345&awdv=c
Old 11-11-16, 09:40 PM
fifan74
Driver School Candidate

Maybe a signal issue with your head unit or rca. Possible the crossover is not set correctly. I have a single 10 alpine type 4 with only 300 rms and I see high 130's on the meter on my audiocontrol epicenter and I never listen to it for long these days...getting old.
Old 11-11-16, 10:35 PM
mizike
Rookie

Default So

Do you have the same car and trunk and do you have the factory sub removed? My crossovers are correct. Wattage is fine and no clipping. I tried to reverse the phase but no help. Rca is not an issue because i have two amps and tried both sets. Same bass response. Trunk open bass sounds awesome. Running just a bass test tone sounds pretty solid as well. Normal music bass response is,horrible with the trunk closed. So all my connections are fine. Getting 12.9 to 14 volts to sub amp. 2ohms. Xover set to 100hz. Literally close the trunk sounds terrible open the trunk sounds like a million bucks. Driving me,nuts
Old 11-12-16, 04:46 PM
mizike
Rookie

So ridiculous but I turned the sub to fire towards the back of my trunk and the bass response is at least double. I cannot believe sideways actually deadens the bass so much in this lexus trunk. Its still not what I would think 600 watts RMS to a 10 inch JLW6V3 would sound like in basically a bandpass high output box custom by JL would sound like and if you open the trunk its crazy how loud and solid it hits compared to the trunk closed still, but it is much better just by changing it to fire towards my TAG. Only issue of course is that is not the optimum location for my trunk space.
Old 11-12-16, 05:10 PM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

try Dynamat Extreme on the weak points of your trunk and using a baffle on the OEM opening.
That should help a lot
Old 11-12-16, 05:17 PM
mizike
Rookie

Default Baffle

I thought the trunk cancelling the bass waves was because thw trunk is so tight sealed and,deadening already? Does dynamat,make the response,better or deaden it more. Ive used it on my tags before but never in my trunks. I removed the stock sub so its just the screen cover so basically i figured that was giving it a 10 inch port into my cabin for great bass response but doesn't seem to react like that. What do you mean make it a baffle? Thanks
Old 11-12-16, 06:28 PM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by mizike
I thought the trunk cancelling the bass waves was because thw trunk is so tight sealed and,deadening already? Does dynamat,make the response,better or deaden it more. Ive used it on my tags before but never in my trunks. I removed the stock sub so its just the screen cover so basically i figured that was giving it a 10 inch port into my cabin for great bass response but doesn't seem to react like that. What do you mean make it a baffle? Thanks
if you lift you trunk carpet and hit the metal frame everywhere, you will hear weak spots. Dynamat helps those area. Dynamat deadens the trunk more and for sure make's the response better .. Try installing the old OEM woofer to see if it sounds better, that would act as a baffle. Having a big trunk on the gs might be too much air space for your 10inch JL'S. Also, is your box up to spec ? Air space required for your 10 inch enough?

Just making suggestions
Old 11-12-16, 06:34 PM
mizike
Rookie

Default Ya

Yea people rave over the sub its like a 3 pass or more than bandpass but its JLs own high output box. Its this one http://www.jlaudio.com/ho110-w6v3-car-audio-h-o-wedge-subwoofer-systems-93310. And everyone raves over its output

Ill try the dynamat. I was trying to keep my trunk. My saab i had one 12 inch soundqubed and it rocked blocks of houses lol,but the box took up half my trunk. Im trying to avoid that if i can
Old 11-13-16, 09:20 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Is it two JL's in a bandpass box or one?
if it's one why not mount the box under the stock woofer hole?
Sealed or ported boxes will work in the stock hole but bandpass I suppose you have to face the port towards the stock hole.
Old 11-13-16, 09:43 PM
mizike
Rookie

Default Ya

One jl but no,other sub works mounted in that hole the rear deck is to weak. I would have to reinforce it and build a custom enclosure etc. Everything rattles in that spot. The box i cant stand it up to point out the hole its too tall but it fits right in the back area of the trunk issue is it doesnt sound well sideways at all. Has to point towards the back of the car which then doesnt fit quite right and defeats the purpose of what i was doing trying to save space. Kind of,frustrated. Nevrr had a trunk kill bass this much one way vs another.
Old 11-15-16, 07:25 PM
Tank
Racer

Originally Posted by mizike
One jl but no,other sub works mounted in that hole the rear deck is to weak. I would have to reinforce it and build a custom enclosure etc. Everything rattles in that spot. The box i cant stand it up to point out the hole its too tall but it fits right in the back area of the trunk issue is it doesnt sound well sideways at all. Has to point towards the back of the car which then doesnt fit quite right and defeats the purpose of what i was doing trying to save space. Kind of,frustrated. Nevrr had a trunk kill bass this much one way vs another.
It can be done bud.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...nt-option.html
I used a Fosgate 10 inch (if I remember correctly) that came with instructions to build both a ported and sealed enclosure.
As you can see I mounted the box under the rear OEM sub port hole. I used the sealed enclosure plans because the sealed enclosure was smaller and produced the frequency response I was looking for.
Rear deck does not rattle but then again the Sub I'm using is dual coil with 300w RMS. Nothing too crazy. Plus I dynamatted the entire rear deck. No distortion or rattling when I crank it up.
Old 11-15-16, 07:37 PM
mizike
Rookie

Default Ya

Ya I have seen it done. Not easy and I usually run 1200 to 1500 watts for my sub's. I decided to tone it down a bit in the Lexus so only running 600 watts but even with 600 watts the rear deck would be all over the place with rattles. I would have to reinforce it and dynamat it a lot. So instead I decided to use a subwoofer that would fit in that back area and still keep my main trunk but sideways it doesn't work out well at all. So I may try the other way a box and reinforced deck or free air and reinforced but the box works great as it is now pointing towards the tag and rear of the car. Just kind of defeats my space saving concept lol. I could have just kept my 12 inch soundqubed box that shook the earth lol
Old 11-15-16, 11:10 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

I say build a 4th order, make a plate for the woofer hole and flush mount an Aeroport through the rear deck and call it a day...
Old 11-16-16, 09:06 AM
mizike
Rookie

Default Ya

Yea the box is a 3rd order pretty much now. The rear deck dynamatted would support really small sub's like the low profile Rockford fosgate in that post but the heavy sub's 600 plus watts will teat that deck up without major modification for support and rattles. I might try a custom box porting through the 10 inch hole and see if that works better.
Old 11-17-16, 09:00 PM
Tank
Racer

If you decide to do free air good luck finding it. I couldn't find ****..lol

Quick Reply: Upgraded sound system SUBWOOFER ISSUE