GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My First Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-16, 03:48 PM
Hotkeyfann
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My First Lexus

Hi all. So i just recently purchased my first lexus. A 2000 GS300 with 150k on her.. 2 previous owners.... 2nd owner was my trusted car mechanics sister who had the car since 2007... First owner traded her in with just under 50k on her. Anyhow I stumbled upon the car by chance when i was getting my daily driver worked on (sway bar links) and she asked me if I knew anyone looking for a used car... I went out back to look at it and I was pretty much sold... I've never been a flashy guy and never had a car with all the bells/whistles (the only things this one didnt come with was Nav and HIS headlamps) so this is still a treat for me. I have not had a car payment in 30 years. I've been very fortunate to have made it all those years on 5 used cars... No joking!

So heres what I was told of importance has been done to the car (that my mechanic can recall). The timing belt was done at 115k. The front seals were replaced as well at the same time ..Most all the ball joints and control arms were done.. A full tune up with lexus original parts was done about a year ago..

The first thing I noticed was the hood supports were weak so I replaced them with strong arms for $32.. The brake warning lamp was on because it had 2 of the 5 bulbs out on the high mount stop.. as well as 1 of the license plate bulbs (same bulb).. So I replaced all 5 high mount and both license plate bulbs (stock for now).. 3 days after i got the car the battery died... It was an AC/Delco that had no readable date code on it and with winter coming I was not about to fuss with it here in the northeast US.. So i replaced it with a new Autocraft (Advance Auto) 700 CCA gold battery for $75 after an online coupon. Car starts right up now... Ironically when I checked the air filter the mfg date on it was 2008 and it was definatly overdue for replacing.. I dont think it was done since 2009 (my guess). I just ordered and installed some wellvisor ventshades on her and well as a pair of cruiser clear tuf flat plate covers. This might sound minor to most but its a WIP to me..

So i still have a few issues that I'd like to mention.. Passenger door lock actuator is not working and I believe the trunk actuator as well.. She told me about the RH door but never mentioned the trunk (which im not dwelling on) but for now the passenger door is a manual operate only. Also, the defogger on the windshield now only defogs on the passenger side.. I never checked the temperature on purchase so I can't verify it was or wasn't then but my mechanic thinks when I changed the battery (I didnt use a memory saver, foolish i know) he thinks i might have confused the blend door on the driver side and now its shut and needs to be open manually.. any ideas?

I know this is a longer read and I appreciate your time and any input/feedback...

Here are a few pics of what I've mentioned !
Attached Thumbnails My First Lexus-10-6-17-lh-rear-untagged.jpg   My First Lexus-gs300-original-filter.jpg   My First Lexus-delco-battery-front-.jpg   My First Lexus-wellvisors-lh-side.jpg   My First Lexus-gs-300-original-filter-mfg-date.jpg  

Last edited by Hotkeyfann; 10-24-16 at 03:49 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 10-24-16, 08:44 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 263 Likes on 226 Posts

Welcome to the Club. We will see how bad the mod bug bites you. Either way enjoy!
Old 10-24-16, 10:02 PM
daddyduke
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hotkeyfann
Hi all. So i just recently purchased my first lexus. A 2000 GS300 with 150k on her.. 2 previous owners.... 2nd owner was my trusted car mechanics sister who had the car since 2007... First owner traded her in with just under 50k on her. Anyhow I stumbled upon the car by chance when i was getting my daily driver worked on (sway bar links) and she asked me if I knew anyone looking for a used car... I went out back to look at it and I was pretty much sold... I've never been a flashy guy and never had a car with all the bells/whistles (the only things this one didnt come with was Nav and HIS headlamps) so this is still a treat for me. I have not had a car payment in 30 years. I've been very fortunate to have made it all those years on 5 used cars... No joking!

So heres what I was told of importance has been done to the car (that my mechanic can recall). The timing belt was done at 115k. The front seals were replaced as well at the same time ..Most all the ball joints and control arms were done.. A full tune up with lexus original parts was done about a year ago..

The first thing I noticed was the hood supports were weak so I replaced them with strong arms for $32.. The brake warning lamp was on because it had 2 of the 5 bulbs out on the high mount stop.. as well as 1 of the license plate bulbs (same bulb).. So I replaced all 5 high mount and both license plate bulbs (stock for now).. 3 days after i got the car the battery died... It was an AC/Delco that had no readable date code on it and with winter coming I was not about to fuss with it here in the northeast US.. So i replaced it with a new Autocraft (Advance Auto) 700 CCA gold battery for $75 after an online coupon. Car starts right up now... Ironically when I checked the air filter the mfg date on it was 2008 and it was definatly overdue for replacing.. I dont think it was done since 2009 (my guess). I just ordered and installed some wellvisor ventshades on her and well as a pair of cruiser clear tuf flat plate covers. This might sound minor to most but its a WIP to me..

So i still have a few issues that I'd like to mention.. Passenger door lock actuator is not working and I believe the trunk actuator as well.. She told me about the RH door but never mentioned the trunk (which im not dwelling on) but for now the passenger door is a manual operate only. Also, the defogger on the windshield now only defogs on the passenger side.. I never checked the temperature on purchase so I can't verify it was or wasn't then but my mechanic thinks when I changed the battery (I didnt use a memory saver, foolish i know) he thinks i might have confused the blend door on the driver side and now its shut and needs to be open manually.. any ideas?

I know this is a longer read and I appreciate your time and any input/feedback...

Here are a few pics of what I've mentioned !
welcome to the club I hope no know you have one of best cars to mankind if were you I wouldn't put any big $$$ in it or less it ls for a 2jzgte. Swap.nice ride btw
Old 10-25-16, 02:03 AM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats and welcome to Club Lexus.
Be sure to check out the NELOC section for local events and meet-up.

Mark