GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

ABS wheel speed sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-16, 01:52 PM
MRadcliffe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS wheel speed sensor question

I would like to say this site is a blessing. The door acuator help was a huge $$$ saver. Now I have a sensor problem/question. I changed the upper control arm and ball joint on my 01 gs430. Somehow I broke the wires off inside the sensor go figure. I cut it open and fixed it so I thought, reset the ecu and the warning was off for about a minute then came back on. I figured my repair didn't work so I purchased a new sensor and installed it. Same end result about a minute no warning lights then they kicked on. Is there any trouble shooting I should look into I'm at a loss because it was fine until I did the control arm repair and broke the original. Thanks
Old 10-18-16, 02:17 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by MRadcliffe
I would like to say this site is a blessing. The door acuator help was a huge $$$ saver. Now I have a sensor problem/question. I changed the upper control arm and ball joint on my 01 gs430. Somehow I broke the wires off inside the sensor go figure. I cut it open and fixed it so I thought, reset the ecu and the warning was off for about a minute then came back on. I figured my repair didn't work so I purchased a new sensor and installed it. Same end result about a minute no warning lights then they kicked on. Is there any trouble shooting I should look into I'm at a loss because it was fine until I did the control arm repair and broke the original. Thanks
I remember someone posted about when they installed a new sensor and the position that it sat in was different and it took a while before they realized that was the problem. Use the search function and maybe it will pop up
Old 10-18-16, 02:51 PM
MRadcliffe
Driver School Candidate

Was this what you were referring to? I guess I could always take it back out and sand on the knuckle and make sure it's 100% clean.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...s-problem.html
Old 10-18-16, 08:44 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Did you verify if the replaced sensor was the problem before you cleared the ECU? Is the replacement OEM? Also, heck and make sure the new sensor is seated into the housing all the way, if its off by a hair it will mess with the sensor accuracy. Make sure the OEM gasket is not pinched eather. Also, are you lowered? Sometimes when your lowered the sensor can get pulled on/yanked out as you turn, etc.
Old 10-18-16, 08:53 PM
MRadcliffe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by eskaeone
Did you verify if the replaced sensor was the problem before you cleared the ECU? Is the replacement OEM? Also, heck and make sure the new sensor is seated into the housing all the way, if its off by a hair it will mess with the sensor accuracy. Make sure the OEM gasket is not pinched eather. Also, are you lowered? Sometimes when your lowered the sensor can get pulled on/yanked out as you turn, etc.
After the control arm it was on its thrown the same right front sensor code everytime. The replacement is a Duralast sensor. I'm going to pull it out and Clean everything tomorrow and see if that helps. Not lowered stock suspension.
Old 10-18-16, 08:58 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 227 Posts

Yea that might have been the thread. I guess the problem is a little different but looks like Eskaeone gave you some good info
Old 10-18-16, 09:23 PM
MRadcliffe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexo98
Yea that might have been the thread. I guess the problem is a little different but looks like Eskaeone gave you some good info
yeah I'll give it a go in the morning and let you know how it works. Thanks for the help
Old 10-19-16, 08:48 AM
bruceb58
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is why you remove the ABS sensor and place it out of harms way before working on the suspension.

I know it's too late for you but for anyone else reading this it is useful to know.
Old 10-19-16, 09:31 AM
MRadcliffe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bruceb58
This is why you remove the ABS sensor and place it out of harms way before working on the suspension.

I know it's too late for you but for anyone else reading this it is useful to know.
i agree I even had the suspension supported with a jack stand to prevent it from dropping but I still managed to break it. Think I figured out the problem I'll post shortly if it's fixed.
Old 10-19-16, 09:58 AM
MRadcliffe
Driver School Candidate

Figured it out. There was some debris inside causing the sensor to not read properly. Cleaned it out and it's golden. Thanks for the help fellas
http://
Name:  IMG_1676.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  181.6 KB
Old 10-20-16, 07:29 PM
Tank
Racer

Originally Posted by bruceb58

And this helps him in what way?

Last edited by Tank; 10-20-16 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-20-16, 07:30 PM
Tank
Racer

Figured it out. There was some debris inside causing the sensor to not read properly. Cleaned it out and it's golden. Thanks for the help fellas
http://
Kool. Good luck.

Last edited by Tank; 10-20-16 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Typo