GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My 2jz-ge (Aristo) powered Toyota Tacoma pickup truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-16, 08:01 PM
TylerJL
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My 2jz-ge (Aristo) powered Toyota Tacoma pickup truck

Hey everyone, wanted to give a huge thanks out to everyone on this forum sharing lots of knowledgeable information. I've been lurking here (mostly) and skimming over the supra forums seeing all of the 2jz-gte turbo swaps. After lots of mashed knuckles, sweat, blood, burns, frustration, and more frustration, I'd like to share with everyone my...well technically...my girlfriend's 2jz-ge VVTI (NON-turbo) powered Toyota Tacoma.

Her stock 5vz 3.5 liter motor blew just after getting on the freeway. She was leaving a Toyota dealership in the El Monte area after having some body work done. Pretty upsetting. Don't know what happened or what is going on at that dealership, but I will never go there again unless for parts. Upon inspection of the camshafts had seized up and the pulley sheared off. Refurbished heads were going to run over $1k.

Truck had 170k miles on it already. We decided to get a JDM replacement and swap it in. Unfortunately that motor was seized up and filled with water. I didn't know, never had to buy a used motor before. I am mechanically inclined, but being only 21 and not working in an auto shop seeing these things on a regular basis I didn't know what to look for exactly. Got another from the same place because we couldn't get a refund. Only "store credit." Didn't see the cracked intake manifold on the second one because was so tired. Damn. Brought that one back too. Should have sued the place at this point for her money back.

I know the go to motor for a swap for a Tacoma (which is not a common thing to do in the first place) is a 2jz-gte or LS motor. Walked out with a Toyota Aristo 2jz-ge VVTI 5 speed automatic (I think 5...haven't counted the gears yet but believe it is the a650 automatic). Aaaaand here we go.

After welding motor and transmission brackets 3 different times because I wasn't happy where the motor was sitting, a 2003 IS300 brake booster + pedal assembly and a 1997 Toyota Camry master cylinder because of intake manifold clearance problems, transmission cooler, aftermarket radiator, and welding jic/an-6 bungs onto the power steering system and making my own lines, lots and lots of wiring, MAF issues (different air box setups), aaaand much more stupid stuff that no one would ever even think of, here we are. A 2jz-ge VVTI Aristo powered 2002 Toyota Tacoma.

Only thing right now I am a little lost with is the Aristo Oxygen sensor setup. Unplugged them and running open loop at the moment. Might just go wideband for now so I don't have to deal with it. For the little things I plan to move the battery to the passenger fender. Then move the ECU and cover for it where the battery currently is. Also, the power steering is really heavy. Feels just fine when turning the wheel slowly. Not sure why. Even revving the motor and turning the wheel it feels as if there is no assist at all. A fix for that someday whatever that may be.

Biggest plan with this is to do the full USDM setup. Not sure to base it off of an IS300 or GS300 though. Biggest reason I want to go with a USDM setup is for OBDII. Something newer than 2002 as well. Yes, I am in California. I am hoping to get a BAR label someday if possible once I get the full USDM setup, intake, emissions, all that good stuff. If not possible, oh well!!

Anyhow, the truck is now running flawless other than running rich at the moment. Driven daily!

Feel free to ask any questions or for pictures!

Once again, a huge thank you to everyone sharing information on this forum. I have relied upon it heavily during this swap and couldn't have done it without the plentiful information on here. I don't really have any friends or people to go to for anything like this kind of thing.

EDIT: Mods- Posted in 2nd gen GS. I spent 90% of my time in this spot. But I do understand that most people don't come to this spot to look at trucks. They come to check out what cars like theirs. So feel free to move it where you feel it best belongs.Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails My 2jz-ge (Aristo) powered Toyota Tacoma pickup truck-12552584_180843998943574_6834954305344508681_n.jpg   My 2jz-ge (Aristo) powered Toyota Tacoma pickup truck-dsc_1104.jpg   My 2jz-ge (Aristo) powered Toyota Tacoma pickup truck-jz2.jpg   My 2jz-ge (Aristo) powered Toyota Tacoma pickup truck-dsc_1079.jpg   My 2jz-ge (Aristo) powered Toyota Tacoma pickup truck-dsc_3388.jpg  

Last edited by TylerJL; 10-16-16 at 08:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
firelizard (03-06-17)
Old 10-19-16, 07:29 AM
RoguesGS
Driver School Candidate

Bloody hell. Resourceful! Good Job squeezing our engine in your truck! Now all you need is the Aristo badge on the truck.
Old 10-19-16, 08:42 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

interesting build... long term plans for it? JW why didnt you go back to the OEM motor they are probably cheap and plentiful
Old 10-19-16, 09:18 AM
TylerJL
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sakataj
interesting build... long term plans for it? JW why didnt you go back to the OEM motor they are probably cheap and plentiful

Long term plans are to eventually build the truck up a bit. More so for basic aesthetics and comfort. Will post up a picture in the next couple weeks once I get the motor bay all cleaned up, wiring straight, etc. Don't want to blast everyone's feed with a truck on a Lexus forum.

You make a good point about going back to stock when I could have. Completely true. If I had to do it all over again knowing what I do now I'd be torn on what to do. Learned more than I ever have in these past several months and seen a lot of cool stuff people are doing to their cars. It was a LOT of work, but there's also stuff that I have learned and has helped me with many other things. With time, labor, frustration, anger, all that accounted for, it would definitely have been much easier to just stick with a stock motor.

Regardless, I smile every time I drive it. Feels so wrong in all the right ways, if that makes sense. It's a weird sensation...
Old 10-19-16, 12:06 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

does not make much sense, the 3.4 liter is a pretty stout motor to begin with...I also have an 04 tacoma trd would be sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much easier to just put back what was in there. cool none the less
Old 10-19-16, 02:00 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Cool build, but curious (broken record) to know why you didn't go with the 1UZ-FE for more torque?
Old 10-19-16, 04:01 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
Cool build, but curious (broken record) to know why you didn't go with the 1UZ-FE for more torque?
ohhhhh good question, that would have been a lot more fun!!
Old 10-19-16, 06:36 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal Cyco
ohhhhh good question, that would have been a lot more fun!!
It is quite common as well. A very popular route with our friends from down under.
Old 03-06-17, 01:14 PM
padronez
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TylerJL
Hey everyone, wanted to give a huge thanks out to everyone on this forum sharing lots of knowledgeable information. I've been lurking here (mostly) and skimming over the supra forums seeing all of the 2jz-gte turbo swaps. After lots of mashed knuckles, sweat, blood, burns, frustration, and more frustration, I'd like to share with everyone my...well technically...my girlfriend's 2jz-ge VVTI (NON-turbo) powered Toyota Tacoma.

Her stock 5vz 3.5 liter motor blew just after getting on the freeway. She was leaving a Toyota dealership in the El Monte area after having some body work done. Pretty upsetting. Don't know what happened or what is going on at that dealership, but I will never go there again unless for parts. Upon inspection of the camshafts had seized up and the pulley sheared off. Refurbished heads were going to run over $1k.

Truck had 170k miles on it already. We decided to get a JDM replacement and swap it in. Unfortunately that motor was seized up and filled with water. I didn't know, never had to buy a used motor before. I am mechanically inclined, but being only 21 and not working in an auto shop seeing these things on a regular basis I didn't know what to look for exactly. Got another from the same place because we couldn't get a refund. Only "store credit." Didn't see the cracked intake manifold on the second one because was so tired. Damn. Brought that one back too. Should have sued the place at this point for her money back.

I know the go to motor for a swap for a Tacoma (which is not a common thing to do in the first place) is a 2jz-gte or LS motor. Walked out with a Toyota Aristo 2jz-ge VVTI 5 speed automatic (I think 5...haven't counted the gears yet but believe it is the a650 automatic). Aaaaand here we go.

After welding motor and transmission brackets 3 different times because I wasn't happy where the motor was sitting, a 2003 IS300 brake booster + pedal assembly and a 1997 Toyota Camry master cylinder because of intake manifold clearance problems, transmission cooler, aftermarket radiator, and welding jic/an-6 bungs onto the power steering system and making my own lines, lots and lots of wiring, MAF issues (different air box setups), aaaand much more stupid stuff that no one would ever even think of, here we are. A 2jz-ge VVTI Aristo powered 2002 Toyota Tacoma.

Only thing right now I am a little lost with is the Aristo Oxygen sensor setup. Unplugged them and running open loop at the moment. Might just go wideband for now so I don't have to deal with it. For the little things I plan to move the battery to the passenger fender. Then move the ECU and cover for it where the battery currently is. Also, the power steering is really heavy. Feels just fine when turning the wheel slowly. Not sure why. Even revving the motor and turning the wheel it feels as if there is no assist at all. A fix for that someday whatever that may be.

Biggest plan with this is to do the full USDM setup. Not sure to base it off of an IS300 or GS300 though. Biggest reason I want to go with a USDM setup is for OBDII. Something newer than 2002 as well. Yes, I am in California. I am hoping to get a BAR label someday if possible once I get the full USDM setup, intake, emissions, all that good stuff. If not possible, oh well!!

Anyhow, the truck is now running flawless other than running rich at the moment. Driven daily!

Feel free to ask any questions or for pictures!

Once again, a huge thank you to everyone sharing information on this forum. I have relied upon it heavily during this swap and couldn't have done it without the plentiful information on here. I don't really have any friends or people to go to for anything like this kind of thing.

EDIT: Mods- Posted in 2nd gen GS. I spent 90% of my time in this spot. But I do understand that most people don't come to this spot to look at trucks. They come to check out what cars like theirs. So feel free to move it where you feel it best belongs.Thank you!
Salutations,

Did you use an adapter to mate the 3-Bolt Trans Flange to the 4-Bolt drive shaft?
If so, which one did you use please?
Thanks.
EZ