GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

99 GS300 will start but won't run???

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-16, 05:42 AM
Markese1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 GS300 will start but won't run???

I recently bought a gs300 high mileage and it was running fine but the vavle cover had been leaking so I replaced it and I I took off the throttle body( I think this is wear the issue is) so I started it and it was idling funny and it had a check engine light so I cut it immediately then I realized I didn't connect the map sensor or maf which ever is connected to the air filter. So I came back the next day and tried to start it and it runs for no more than a sec I smell gas and If i give it gas it will stay of on but as soon as I let go it bogs out. I replaced the battery spark plugs( I cheaped out on the plugs with some single platinum) wires and coil pack. I assumed they need to be changed because they had oil all in them. Plz help
Old 10-04-16, 08:22 AM
lexo98
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Markese1
I recently bought a gs300 high mileage and it was running fine but the vavle cover had been leaking so I replaced it and I I took off the throttle body( I think this is wear the issue is) so I started it and it was idling funny and it had a check engine light so I cut it immediately then I realized I didn't connect the map sensor or maf which ever is connected to the air filter. So I came back the next day and tried to start it and it runs for no more than a sec I smell gas and If i give it gas it will stay of on but as soon as I let go it bogs out. I replaced the battery spark plugs( I cheaped out on the plugs with some single platinum) wires and coil pack. I assumed they need to be changed because they had oil all in them. Plz help
did you disconnect the battery so the system could reset?
Old 10-04-16, 05:33 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Battery has nothing to do with this. Considering you just worked on the throttle body, check your vacuum lines, you may have forgotten to connect one or may have broken one. Also, did you remove your tps sensor? You may have reinstalled incorrectly causing the TB to stay closed.

That's a couple things to check. I'll have more later when I get home, unless someone else chimes in.
Old 10-04-16, 07:29 PM
Markese1
Driver School Candidate

Jokster I think your right if I post a pic of every thing i think I messed up on when I reinstalled my throttle body will u take a look ? Thank you
Old 10-04-16, 08:19 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

I can try, but finding a broken vacuum hose takes more than a picture, it takes a hands-on approach. Post it and I can try to find something. You can always do an okie fog test and blow some cigar smoke through a vacuum line and see if its leaking out anywhere
Old 10-04-16, 08:21 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

However, did you removed the TPS? Thats something that can NOT be examined though a picture.
Old 10-04-16, 08:22 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Oh and I just noticed you're a new member... Welcome to Club Lexus you will definitely find almost all information you need on here
Old 10-05-16, 02:59 PM
Markese1
Driver School Candidate

Thanks I appreciate it so I looked at all my vacuum hoses and they look fine but my throttle body cable is loose and My throttle body doesn't open too much I'll say about 1/5 open when I turn the wheel all the day. Also when I start the car and I put some gas it's makes some popping noise
Old 10-05-16, 03:04 PM
bruceb58
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Markese1
My throttle body doesn't open too much I'll say about 1/5 open when I turn the wheel all the day.
That is normal. That is the override position when the throttle motor stops operating. That wheel is actually a position sensor which tells the ECU where the driver wants the throttle to be. It along with the throttle motor and the TPS tells where the plate is supposed to open up to. It's basically a throttle by wire with that back up that opens up slightly to allow you to drive slow.

I take it you did this with the ignition off? Turn ignition on and try it although I don't remember if it works properly with the engine not running.

I would be looking at pulled wires form all the connectors you took off when you removed the throttle body. Putting a scanner on it wouldn't be a bad idea that reads TPS position if you could somehow locate one. I own one.

Last edited by bruceb58; 10-05-16 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-05-16, 03:54 PM
Markese1
Driver School Candidate

I have i unhooked all the sensor like 20x reinstalled my throttle another 20x I just don't know what the problem is it starts up strong and dies out immediately I getting discouraged lol
Old 10-05-16, 04:07 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Sounds to me like your accordion intake tube has a big hole.
Old 10-05-16, 04:12 PM
Markese1
Driver School Candidate

Well when I bought the car it had a cold air intake but nothing is hooked up besides the maf sensor so the valve cover hose isn't connected and something else isn't but I didn't think much of it because it was running fine before without it
Old 10-05-16, 08:38 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Yea, that hose can do it. You're getting air in your system not being read by the maf sensor. Its just a matter of time before it becomes a problem. The nipple for that hose broke on my car and I figured, meh, no big deal... Well many months later I began getting stalling problems and no-start problems (stranded a few times) I kept getting a p01xx code and it never dawned on me... I repaired that hose and, voila, fixed the problem.

So did you remove any of the sensors?
Old 10-06-16, 04:32 AM
Markese1
Driver School Candidate

I did and but I didn't leave them unplug... a neighbor walked by heard my car and smelled it and he told me I'm getting too much air so he noticed my cold air intake wasn't tightened all the way so we tightened it and it actually made a big difference surprisingly like my car didn't stall out but it still sound horrible he ran my codes also it said p1300 ignition igniters malfunction. So im gonna hook up all the hoses to my cold air intake switch to the correct spark plugs and swap the ignition igniter and cross my finger I'll let you guys know how everything goes.
Old 10-06-16, 10:03 AM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Sounds like your on the right track.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: 99 GS300 will start but won't run???