GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Another no start issue!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-16, 01:36 PM
63Galaxie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another no start issue!

If anyone can chime in here id greatly appreciate it! Ive tested a few things but here is what is going on and ill get into the things ive tested.

While driving to work it was starting to act exactly as if it were running out of fuel. The problem only got worse after 25 miles of driving till eventually it wasnt going over 4-5k rpms then it wouldn't start after I parked it and pulled the battery for my other vehicle.

Ive pulled my injectors and tested them they checked out fine. She runs great with carb cleaner being shot down the intake. Wasnt sure how to check fuel pressure but i disconnected the outlet on the pump and hooked a hose to it and ran the other end into a gas can. Had excellent fuel flow and it held pressure when i kept my finger on it. I have good voltage to my pump. I disconnected my tps and still no start. I was going to try and bypass my fuel pump ecu see if maybe there was an issue there but having issues figuring out which connector it is. Any other ideas of what might be going on? This also started happening after i ran out of gas one day and put a few gallons of 89 octane in it. Gas smells fine but i know we had a heavy rain and the gas station was slightly flooded . I can pump my gas pedal quickly when trying to start and it will stay running bouncing back and forth between 100 rpms and 700 rpms.

If anyoneeeee knows what else I could possible check out I could really use the advice! I also replaced my maf with another denso one a few months back. Thank you!
Old 09-14-16, 08:59 AM
daddyduke
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you got some bad gas or your fuel pump the junk yark us your best friend or rockauto getvtge desno
Old 09-15-16, 05:19 PM
vijayn
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you check if theres any codes?
Old 09-17-16, 08:26 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by daddyduke
Sounds like you got some bad gas or your fuel pump the junk yark us your best friend or rockauto getvtge desno
Not sure but sounds like your fuel pump; take it to the dealer and get a proper fuel pressure test. I had one done and it turned out my fuel pump was going. Seemed to act like it wanted to run out of gas around 1/4 tank.
Old 09-24-16, 01:30 AM
63Galaxie
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for delay. I ran into some stuff but im all good now. I bought a new fuel pump and will install soon. Unfortunately in all this the computer thing inside my keys fell out so now i cant do anything lol. Gonna get some new ones should see them around the 3rd. Im hoping it's a fuel pump issue but along with that i need to replace my tps because I broke it! Like I said spark is good so we are certainly narrowing things down. Just hoping it's not an ecu issue!

and im buying a code reader soon!
Old 09-24-16, 07:53 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

If the pump is doing its job, why havent you checked your fuel filter? I would have checked that before the expense on a pump. Make sure to give that a look or else you're gonna be very stumped if things dont change after installing the fuel pump Also, I didnt seen any mention of a check engine light being on, so you're not gonna get any codes. Lastly, could also be an o2 sensor going bad. If this was a fuel problem, the car would be stalling. The fact that it wouldnt go above 4500 (which is pretty high btw, especially if it were a fuel problem) leads me to believe its a sensor issue, an o2 or possibly the MAF.

Just a couple more things to look at
Old 09-24-16, 01:24 PM
63Galaxie
Driver School Candidate

Is there another fuel filter im not seeing? The one in the tank looked great and also the pump i got came with a new intank filter. As far as my o2 sensors, all of them I replaced along with the manifold because it had holes all over from a bad weld job. However I did notice I missed one o2 that was much further down but couldnt imagine that one all the way in the back could be bad? I have like 5 denso o2 sensors still laying around. Can I use any of them to replace that rear one that comes after manifold? I can take pictures of them but not sure how to tell the difference. I know I have had P0171 since ive owned it which is lean on one side i believe. I scanned again about 2 months ago and there was about 10-12 fault codes but not difference in how it ran. The maf I replaced it with from the autoparts store looked like it was beat to hell and made my old one look new so maybe someone swapped them out or something lol. Anyone have an opinion towards torque pro scanner for android? For how cheap it is I couldn't imagine it being good but the reviews are excellent so thats what I will probably get unless someone says otherwise.

Also when I say it was going to 4,500 that was floored and it was wanting to stall out and was chugging like it was starving for fuel. Also could not go up the slightest incline

Last edited by 63Galaxie; 09-24-16 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-24-16, 01:43 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

IMO, a scanner is a scanner. The more you pay, the more features its going to have. Think of a cell phone, you can buy a $10 one (or rather just a free one) or you can spend a $1000 on one. Whats the difference? Nothing, they both make calls and thats really all they're for. But whats really the difference? Its features. A $10 scanner will still give you codes and thats all you need. What does a $3000 scanner do for you? Defines what the codes are and in many cases (like a Snap-on) will actually tell you how to fix it. So when searching for one for android, find out why one is $20 bucks and why another is $300, do you really need all the extra features, are you going to use them?

As for having codes that havent no difference on how it ran doesnt mean they're not the problem now. What it can actually mean is that it took that long for your car to say, "FINE, you're not gonna fix me... take THIS!" LoL We had a fellow member with a VERY similar issue as yours, could only run at lower revolutions. We couldnt figure the problem out until he finally said what you said, "Ive had the same codes for almost 3 years with no problems". Well the codes were telling him to change his o2's. After half of CL yelled at him for not telling us this in the first place, he changed them... Solved the problem

Obviously not saying you have the same problem, but please post the ~10 codes you once or still have.

Personal experience? I had the infamous p0446 which I narrowed down to the vacuum switch on the canister. I figured, meh, I dont want to go through the trouble (ugly replacement to do) so I left it alone. My CEL and that code was on for 6 years with absolutely no problem. I'm like hell yea fools!!! Being in Cacafornia we have to smog every 2 years, with tons of luck, for some reason the CEL shut off at the right time so i could smog it, until... The year came that it DIDNT shut of and i had no choice but to do the many hour install.

My point? Coincidentally the last month before I needed smog I was having problems starting my car, stranded in some cases. So even though that was happening, I still needed to smog my car so I replaced it. After I replaced it, the CEL came back on with yet ANOTHER code p0441. To make this long story shorter than its already longness Even though that p0446 gave me no problems, 6 years later come to find out that when the VSV ultimately gave out, it built up pressure and it had to escape from SOMEwhere... That p0441 made me check my engine bay and found out that the built up pressure had blew one of my vacuum hoses off causing all sorts of problems.

So yea, just because a code hasnt given you any problems, doesnt mean it wont eventually

... its Saturday and I'm bored. Sorry for the essay
Old 09-24-16, 02:10 PM
63Galaxie
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the quick reply! Well I will order the bluetooth obd plug and torque app. I know it offers live feed. I will also be buying techstream if that's what it's called. I know what youre saying with the codes but I honestly had no clue where to start lol I noticed my fuel trim seemed to be pretty messed up! Off by like 15 points on every other one. I know my canister is probably shot. Lots of pressure in my gas tank when i take off the gas cap! It will be a few days before I can start ordering anything because i dont get paid till the 26th! Going to be ordering everything for a tune up from suspension, tires, alignment, wp, timing belt, etc. She has 215k miles owned since around 200k and i have not done any maintenance except spark plugs. I also have a valve cover leak now! ���� Figured i should probably do this before it blows up or ends up in a ditch haha. Shes been good to me though. Took her to vegas twice from Arizona and didn't miss a beat.