GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2000 GS300 w/ 2jz-ge

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-16, 04:11 PM
trags300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 GS300 w/ 2jz-ge

Alright I've got questions. Too many to ask right now but I'm not too much of a car guy, but I'm learning. I need help with building under the hood of my GS300. As in, what should I upgrade first? Best brands, dual or single turbo, etc. if you wanna see my car, check out my profile pic. I know yall will help, so I'm reaching out. Thanks.
Old 08-25-16, 07:21 PM
trags300
Driver School Candidate

Default Building my GE is only option

Originally Posted by kitabel
Get a JDM Aristo VVT-i GTE engine and transmission and find someone competent to match the electronics, much cheaper and easier than modifying your GE engine, and your transmission is significantly inferior to the TT model.
I'm not looking for the fastest car in my city, just good enough to compete with my friends and etc. i know a GE can become a nice street car sleeper. That's my main goal.
Old 08-25-16, 07:53 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by trags300
I'm not looking for the fastest car in my city, just good enough to compete with my friends and etc. i know a GE can become a nice street car sleeper. That's my main goal.
First, welcome to the forum.
Second, Save some $$$ and do it right. Because the 2JZ is not much to modify the way that are you want right now. Sorry for tell you that. But at the end, is better to do the 2JZ GTE swap. So again, save some $$$ and do it right. It is you main goal, right?
Old 08-30-16, 11:37 AM
trags300
Driver School Candidate

It's been tried both ways (GTE swap vs. what is commonly referred to as "NA-T" for normally aspirated GE motor converted to turbo) by many, many people, and the results are all similar.
Using all the original factory turbo parts solves many expenses and choices at once. The JDM gives about 280 hp (50 less than a US Supra engine with very similar parts), is already substantially faster than your GE, and can easily be over 400 using bolt-on parts without touching the engine itself.
Adding a turbo to a GE engine means you have no electronics to control mixture, boost, or spark, you have to build an entire exhaust system, and someone has to design and install it. A shop may charge you $10,000 to do the whole thing (drive it in, drive it out).
All factory TT engines (in US it's only the Supra, in Japan this includes the Aristo and Soarer) came with a special transmission: either the very expensive Getrag 6-speed, or the very cheap (comes with the JDM engine) but very special 5 solenoid, larger bellhousing A341E. These are not used with any NA motor, and the NA transmissions don't do well with high power levels unless you baby them (and who wants to do that).
Even if you decide to make a big engine (700 is easier than you think), the GTE core is a better basis than yours because you can profit from the huge amount of data and products developed specifically for this engine.

Please feel free to ask more specific questions, let us know what you're thinking.
I think I've decided to just swap to a GTE because I've realized the price of just building a normal GE. What exactly does the GTE come stock with beside the turbo? Not much of a car guy, but I'm learning. I was asked to just buy a whole new car that had the GTE already in it, but that seems like a hassle trying to find it relatively close to where I live, plus I felt it would probably have more miles and also the price. And another concern of buying a whole new GS300 with a GTE is the probability of the previous owner not taking care of it.
Old 08-30-16, 02:29 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

OP,

If you lived in Florida, I have a quote for the swap that inclu. Engine, Trans, LSD Diff., Wires Harness, Full Line, E-shifter and cluster working correctly for $6,500.00 But again, good luck with your swap.

Last edited by Mcon; 08-30-16 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-30-16, 04:07 PM
Bhubb18
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The GTE engine has better internals (iirc the GE VVTi in the GS has weaker rods and crankshaft).
Old 08-30-16, 11:34 PM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It's been tried both ways (GTE swap vs. what is commonly referred to as "NA-T" for normally aspirated GE motor converted to turbo) by many, many people, and the results are all similar.
Using all the original factory turbo parts solves many expenses and choices at once. The JDM gives about 280 hp (50 less than a US Supra engine with very similar parts), is already substantially faster than your GE, and can easily be over 400 using bolt-on parts without touching the engine itself.
Adding a turbo to a GE engine means you have no electronics to control mixture, boost, or spark, you have to build an entire exhaust system, and someone has to design and install it. A shop may charge you $10,000 to do the whole thing (drive it in, drive it out).
All factory TT engines (in US it's only the Supra, in Japan this includes the Aristo and Soarer) came with a special transmission: either the very expensive Getrag 6-speed, or the very cheap (comes with the JDM engine) but very special 5 solenoid, larger bellhousing A341E. These are not used with any NA motor, and the NA transmissions don't do well with high power levels unless you baby them (and who wants to do that).
Even if you decide to make a big engine (700 is easier than you think), the GTE core is a better basis than yours because you can profit from the huge amount of data and products developed specifically for this engine.

Please feel free to ask more specific questions, let us know what you're thinking.
Good stuff
Old 08-31-16, 06:02 PM
o7iS250
Pole Position

That's $6,500 installed, driving away with a giant smile and no issues... right?!

Originally Posted by Mcon
OP,

If you lived in Florida, I have a quote for the swap that inclu. Engine, Trans, LSD Diff., Wires Harness, Full Line, E-shifter and cluster working correctly for $6,500.00 But again, good luck with your swap.
Old 09-01-16, 02:23 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by o7iS250
That's $6,500 installed, driving away with a giant smile and no issues... right?!
Yeap... He is a very good friend and work on this car for more of 15 years. He also, bring parts from Japan and front clips. That's what are he use to do the swap.