GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Installed performance K&N fiter and intae.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-16, 08:54 PM
akafixture
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Installed performance K&N fiter and intae.

Good lord this intake is loud. I dont like the extra attention. Its REALLY loud. Cops look at any sound. As others have stated low end sucks. Top end is amazing. But how many of us are in the top end all the time. I am still trying out the intake from getting it this week. Thus far i am 50/50. Main reason is its so loud sound / no low end. I drive lots of city so I am not sure what I might like. But man this thing sounds mean when i punch it. I drive city so low end is not there, top end is really good. So it will be up to you on this intake. If sound is all it is, this is for you. High end this is for you if you drive non-city. Sorry but this intake hits 2 fields. Not sure what I am going to do, but the stoke intake on a gs400 is huge!

I have also painted everything flat back. If i keep the intake I will add an additional cover on top to pass smog. Most socal guys know that it dosent matter if there is a smoge certifcate. Its modified and wll fail. LA / Socal sucls. ( it used to be better).

Old 08-12-16, 09:14 AM
Jackie939
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are re stating all comments that previous owners have gone thru from years Past.. A simple search would suffice..But we like to continue to stick our fingers in the outlet despite what we are told..before you make another thread..ill state what has already been stated..The K&N or any other intake other than SRT is No Good without a ECU.
In short intakes suck, be ready for P0171.
Old 08-12-16, 03:09 PM
akafixture
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I read up on all the posts, but I was willing to take a chance. Nothing really to lose. I will decide what to do in the next week or 2. Ditch it or keep it.

Old 08-12-16, 03:24 PM
bruceb58
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

An intake like that should not affect anything but very top end and I am even doubtful of that. Not sure why people buy into these things.
Old 08-12-16, 08:49 PM
liazon
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

a lot of guys run intakes. they don't 'suck'. yes, the srt with the piggyback ecu was the best option, but since they no longer exist...one has to choose from what's available. like most every mod on a car, it's give and take: you give up something to get something you have a personal preference for. it's about making the car your own.

i will say my recent intake experience has been quite different from yours. after i installed my injen I had no noticeable torque/performance changes whatsoever. the growl sound is really only audibly noticeable at high rpms, which for me is perfect. it's there when i want it to be.

maybe it's just the difference between k&n and injen, but as there really isn't much to these things SO i do wonder what is causing your issues.

did you reset your oem ecu by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes?
did you check/clean your mass air flow sensor and throttle body?

Attached Thumbnails Installed performance K&N fiter and intae.-after.jpg  

Last edited by liazon; 08-12-16 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-13-16, 09:28 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by liazon
yes, the srt with the piggyback ecu was the best option, but since they no longer exist..
well you do know the SRT IS still made and available

OP you could always do something like mine but make it for t he K & N, super old pics but back in the day a member made this box to surround the SRT and isolate some of the noise (plus bring in some colder air). you wont probably ever see one for sale as i think i have only ever seen 2 (in my almost 10 years on here) and i bought one of them but you could always make something similar to this Custom Kajukenbo Intake Box (can search here for that term and find some old old threads) even a old thread where member BananaGS made one BTW Kajukenbo was a old member also and was his user name

Originally Posted by sakataj