GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Exploring 2GS to 4GS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-16, 12:25 PM
gr8bryt
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Exploring 2GS to 4GS Conversion

Ok fellow CL members, just as the title states I'm exploring the idea of converting my 03 GS to look like a 13 GS. I know there is a 3GS conversion by Vertex, but I'm not interested. The Vertex kit is $2500 plus the labor to fit and paint. I've done a little bit of research for prices on used 4GS parts and it seems that I could get in around the same price as the Vertex kit, the most expensive parts are the headlight assemblies. Even used, they're still in the neighborhood of $700 each side. Of course the Vertex kit is already modified to fit the 2GS whereas I would need to have the 4GS panels fitted.

The nice thing about the 2GS is that the lines seem to easily accommodate a 4GS front end. I'm not in a position to buy a 4GS for $26K, so that's not a practical solution. I'm financing this one now. I also like the size of my 2GS, and it seems as though the newer ones have gotten longer. The downside of dropping $5K into a 13 year old car is that if it were to get wrecked, I'd be out since the car isn't worth that much. I also understand that most will say to just get a decent kit and spend the money elsewhere.
Old 07-20-16, 01:34 PM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure if he's a member on here but you can contact him through IG and maybe he can point you in the right direction as he has done the conversion.
Attached Thumbnails Exploring 2GS to 4GS Conversion-image.jpeg  
Old 07-20-16, 01:39 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by clos430
Not sure if he's a member on here but you can contact him through IG and maybe he can point you in the right direction as he has done the conversion.
hmmm i havent seen this conversion yet... IMHO the front end on ALL the newer model Lexus look like the predator without his mask on and i hate the front ends of them. that said, this one doesnt look terrible but he seems to have the muscle to flex that aggressive front end

whats his IG?
Old 07-20-16, 01:45 PM
gr8bryt
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the info! I'm having a little trouble figuring out who "he" is though
Old 07-20-16, 02:29 PM
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's his Instagram name
Attached Thumbnails Exploring 2GS to 4GS Conversion-image.jpeg  
Old 07-20-16, 06:10 PM
RoguesGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's Awesome! 2GS with 4th Gen front end. Looks straight I like it
Only thing that rubs me the wrong way is that the rear and side lines no longer match the front bumper line.

Last edited by RoguesGS; 07-20-16 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-20-16, 06:48 PM
bruceb58
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This reminds me of those mods people do to their cars to make them look like Bentleys!

Sorry...this looks cheezy.
Old 07-21-16, 06:18 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow have to say this looks pretty good.
Go for it!
Old 07-21-16, 08:11 AM
Dangit2001
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
IMHO the front end on ALL the newer model Lexus look like the predator without his mask
you know they kind of do. lol
Old 07-21-16, 11:01 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Here's his Instagram name

Originally Posted by bruceb58
This reminds me of those mods people do to their cars to make them look like Bentleys!

Sorry...this looks cheezy.
do you think the 3gs conversion is cheesy also? see Andy's car below (took me a minute to find him as he changed his Screen name

Originally Posted by tiguy99
Wow have to say this looks pretty good.
Go for it!
i was surprised it does look fairly well but i still dont like it

Originally Posted by Dangit2001
you know they kind of do. lol
IKR and thats the way ALL of their models are going
Attached Thumbnails Exploring 2GS to 4GS Conversion-panda3gs-1a.jpg   Exploring 2GS to 4GS Conversion-images.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 07-21-16, 12:26 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Not a fan of the 4Gs Front end. I never buy a car where the looks have to grow on me. You are better off just getting a 3GS. The prices are coming down a lot and are under $15K You get pretty major tech upgrade toys going to a 3GS. Don't waste your money on a kit to look like a wanna be 3GS or 4GS. I'd feel pretty silly running into someone with a real 3GS or 4GS
Old 07-21-16, 01:43 PM
8M6
Pit Crew

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm not one to tell anyone what to do, but I think trying to emulate another car's appearance reeks of being too cheap to just buy the actual car you're emulating. Anyone who knows these cars will be able to sniff out what you did immediately and it's kind of like, "What, you couldn't afford the real thing?"

Generally speaking, with some exceptions, I don't care for body kits, but I feel like if you want to do such a significant appearance mod, you should strive for something that isn't trying to copy the OEM look of another car. It's like you're embarrassed by your car and would rather have it look like another car. It's worse than trying to dress up a Chrysler 300 like a Bentley. It's on the same level as a picture I saw years ago of a Civic with a custom body kit to look like a BMW. I don't think that just because this is a Lexus-newer Lexus conversion that it's any less silly.

Also, three years later, I still think the predator grille looks like an abomination, but that's another topic altogether.

I'm not really trying to ruffle feathers, but these are the thoughts that go through some onlookers' minds when seeing this sort of thing and I know I'm not the only one.

Last edited by 8M6; 07-22-16 at 06:08 AM.
Old 07-21-16, 03:09 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

not a fan either, does not flow well at all, fenders are not even remotely close and the front looks way to bulky.
Old 07-21-16, 04:26 PM
bruceb58
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
do you think the 3gs conversion is cheesy also? see Andy's car below (took me a minute to find him as he changed his Screen name
Yep...just as cheezy!

Of course, I think a lot of mods done on here are cheezy!
Old 07-21-16, 08:37 PM
firelizard

Received 422 Likes on 337 Posts

Just want to come in and rain on everybody's parade: this is going to cost a lot more than the Vertex Aristo GS Face Conversion System kit. Unless you are capable of doing the fabrication and bodywork yourself going to be in for a lot of labour. Obviously it *can* be done, much wilder conversions happen all the time, but if you think it's going to cost less at a shop than a kit where the hard work is already done, no way.

As a bonus because I'm all around terrible person, I'm sorry, but it looks terrible. The execution looks really good as far as the pictures show. It's really impressive, to be honest. But it doesn't look good. If you did yours with the rear quarter panels to match the front, it would be much, much better. As it is, it looks like a giant face dragging the rest of the car around.

Last edited by firelizard; 12-26-19 at 09:52 PM. Reason: forgot a word

Quick Reply: Exploring 2GS to 4GS Conversion