GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Steering wheel Vibrates at 65mph

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-16, 10:35 PM
FiveSeven
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Steering wheel Vibrates at 65mph

2001 GS300 with 87k miles

Problem: Steering wheel vibrates at 65+mph than goes away somewhere between 70-80mph. It does not vibrate all the time at 65+mph. The type of surface does not seem to be a factor. When it does vibrate it is consistent and i would rate the vibration at 2/10.. subtle but noticeable. I've read through a bunch of posts and from what I read my problem could be from steering rack bushings and/or the lower control arm bushings.

When I first bought this car a month ago the front seals were leaking so I had my mechanic change the seals out along with a new WP/ TB. While he had my car on the rack he pointed out the bushings on the lower control arms were completely shot. My ball joints were ok (changed in 2009 at 69k miles). All other suspension pieces have never been replaced. I still went ahead and bought new moog ball joints, inner tie rods, and outer tie rods that I was planning on changing out maybe in another year or two.

My car is currently in the shop getting my front and rear bumpers painted so during that down time I wanted to buy the rest of the suspension pieces that i need to fix the shake. Can someone please tell me the bushing part numbers? Do I need to replace the whole part or do you recommend just the bushings? Also would it be a good idea to change out the parts I already bought since the ball joints were last changed in 2009? Am i missing anything?

Last edited by FiveSeven; 07-09-16 at 03:08 AM.
Old 07-10-16, 09:45 AM
AmanO
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Same symptoms as me.

If you let go of the wheel at~65, does it play by itself?
I get a couple degrees back and forth, at random intervals.
Old 07-10-16, 09:46 AM
FiveSeven
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AmanO
Same symptoms as me.

If you let go of the wheel at~65, does it play by itself?
I get a couple degrees back and forth, at random intervals.
I haven't tried that but I'll give it a go when I get my car back.
Old 07-10-16, 02:04 PM
mizike
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this issue on my newly purchased 2002 GS 300, only 63k miles, so I am hoping it just needs my new rims and good tires with roadforce balancing done. Ive read everywhere how sensitive these cars are to the balancing and what tires and rims are on them, plus some other odd issues, joints, bushings etc, hoping mine is just a good mount and balance job, but if you replace the parts, I definitely recommend a road force balance, apparently a normal mount and balance doesnt fix the 55 to 65mph shake. Mine is solid until about 55, no shake, solid as can be and then shakes until about 65mph, and goes away at about 72mph and on up. If it shook at higher speeds, or lower speeds, I wouldnt think of the roadforce balance, but that specific speed seems to be where most lexus owners have this issue.
Old 07-10-16, 02:49 PM
FiveSeven
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mizike
I have this issue on my newly purchased 2002 GS 300, only 63k miles, so I am hoping it just needs my new rims and good tires with roadforce balancing done. Ive read everywhere how sensitive these cars are to the balancing and what tires and rims are on them, plus some other odd issues, joints, bushings etc, hoping mine is just a good mount and balance job, but if you replace the parts, I definitely recommend a road force balance, apparently a normal mount and balance doesnt fix the 55 to 65mph shake. Mine is solid until about 55, no shake, solid as can be and then shakes until about 65mph, and goes away at about 72mph and on up. If it shook at higher speeds, or lower speeds, I wouldnt think of the roadforce balance, but that specific speed seems to be where most lexus owners have this issue.
yep.. what you describe is what i experience but it starts at 65+mph for me.. and goes away between 75-85mph. anything lower than 60mph and its rock solid... I'm on stock 16's and I'm thinking about upgrading to stock 18's from a 3GS to see what happens. My lower caster arm bushing is shot so I'll start with that first.. my mechanic wants $290 to swap in a polyurethane bushing
Old 07-10-16, 05:13 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

On other Toyota and Lexus vehicles I have owned, the vibration may indicate it is time to replace engine and/or transmission mounts. You may want to check your mounts.
Old 07-10-16, 05:18 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sgretchko
On other Toyota and Lexus vehicles I have owned, the vibration may indicate it is time to replace engine and/or transmission mounts. You may want to check your mounts.
I agree with you 100%. Can be the motor and tranny mounts. But check also your B join
Old 07-10-16, 07:06 PM
mizike
Rookie

If you havent done the ROADFORCE mount and balance, do that though, for real, since its just in that same range, my mechanic said 90 percent chance the right tires, and roadforce balance will fix it, because its done with the weights at the different speeds we drive, where usually we can just do a normal mount and balance, no speeds, but the lexus seems so freaking touchy. I PRAY he is right, if not I will be going down that rabbit hole as well.
Old 07-10-16, 07:10 PM
FiveSeven
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sgretchko
the vibration was only at 65mph+ and it isn't consistent.. and its isolated to the steering wheel not the car itself
Old 07-10-16, 07:12 PM
mizike
Rookie

Yeah, I saw motor mounts as things people replaced, and the bushings, Control ARMS, ALL TYPES of things which scared me, but my mechanic is really sure its just a good mount and balance at speeds done correctly, like you said its only at a certain MPH and only the steering wheel. I CAN STILL LET GO of the steering wheel, and the car stays straight as an arrow as the damn steering wheel shakes lol.
Old 07-11-16, 03:09 AM
FiveSeven
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mizike
Yeah, I saw motor mounts as things people replaced, and the bushings, Control ARMS, ALL TYPES of things which scared me, but my mechanic is really sure its just a good mount and balance at speeds done correctly, like you said its only at a certain MPH and only the steering wheel. I CAN STILL LET GO of the steering wheel, and the car stays straight as an arrow as the damn steering wheel shakes lol.
will do i get my car back sometime this week
Old 07-11-16, 06:02 AM
AmanO
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Motor/tranny mounts bad after only 55k? That seems a bit strange, unless there is a lot of rubber involved.

Do your guys' gear shift ***** transfer vibration at all?

Also, for me, I hear something outside the cabin.

THAT makes me think it could still be a balancing issue for my car. That could be a separate issue, though.
Old 07-11-16, 06:06 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

My experience with this issue, most typical is road force balance and/or over torqued lug nuts on the wheel. Go somewhere with a higher end new hunter balance machine
Old 07-11-16, 09:02 AM
mizike
Rookie

Default Yea same

[QUOTE=AmanO;9548860]Motor/tranny mounts bad after only 55k? That seems a bit strange, unless there is a lot of rubber involved.

Do your guys' gear shift ***** transfer vibration at all?

Also, for me, I hear something outside the cabin.

THAT makes me think it could still be a balancing issue for my car. That could be a separate issue, though.[/QUOTE

Yea my wife hears it outside on the passenger side so I'll pretty sure it's good tires and correct road force balance that needs to be done. Shifting everything else no issues.
Old 07-11-16, 09:47 AM
rossmer
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Had exact same issue on my 99 GS300 with 95K just a few weeks ago. The steering wheel shook around 65-75 and would go away above that speed. I first had the tires balanced again with regular balance with little to no change. Took to dealer and had road force balance done and it went away totally and rides smooth like a Lexus should. I seriously bet this is all you need as apparently these cars are really sensitive to tire balance issues. See this topic discussed below.

Vibes on 3 Sets of Wheels

gs430 shakes at 80 mph

Last edited by rossmer; 07-11-16 at 09:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel Vibrates at 65mph