GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Door lock issue!!! I'm stumped.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-16, 05:31 PM
FatPat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door lock issue!!! I'm stumped.

I purchased this car feb of this year. 99 gs300. Bone stock. 200k miles.
Has 1 key that came with the car. Everything working on the key. But 3 of the 4 doors would not lock or unlock.

I replaced the lock actuators in the doors that were not working. SWEET! Now all the door lock and unlock. Few weeks go by and I buy more keys, Had them laser cut and I programmed the transponders just fine. All keys start the car. But I could not get the vehicle into programming mode for the door locks.

Fast forward to 3 days ago. I used one of the spare keys to get into the car and like usual. The alarm went off. That's normal for this procedure. Went and did my thing. But when I tried the factory key it will no longer lock, or unlock the doors/trunk.

Skip to today. Had the dealer attempt to reprogram the 3 keys. They were able to get into programming mode, clear the 2 existing keys but were unsuccessful to reprogram the old key or other 2 new keys. So I had to pay them $50 for attempting to reprogram the keys.

So let me give you some symptoms of the lock mechanism.

Driver door will look and unlock from the outside with any key. But when I bump the unlock a second time it should unlock all the doors. It does not.

Passenger side locks, and unlocks from the outside like any other car.

When inside the vehicle. Hit the lock button on ether of the front doors. All doors will lock, Hit unlock and all doors will unlock, 3 seconds later. The locks will unlock again (even tho they are already unlocked. As if of things one is stuck. (No clue as to what one)

The last problem is while sitting in the car, all the doors closed. Key out of the ignition. I can lock the lock as many times as I want. I am only able to unlock the doors once until the button becomes dead and has no response. I can lock, manually unlock, Lock with the button as many times as I want. The only way to get the driver door unlock button to work again is to put the key in the ignition and turn the key to on, or start the car. Then it will unlock.

I am at a loss as to what I should check/ replace. Actuators? Module? Lock cylinders?

Where is the door lock module?
Old 07-08-16, 09:11 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Glad to see you made it over here from T4R.org! Wonder if a door ECU has gone out? Try opening each door individually to see if the 'open door' light illuminates on the gauge cluster each time.
Old 07-08-16, 09:27 PM
FatPat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts