GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Could it be <y Wheel Bearings??

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-16, 06:03 AM
STREETGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Could it be <y Wheel Bearings??

Hep im getting this noise when turning left it doesnt sound like and axle almost like if something was
rubbing the tire but i have checked and nothing touches the tire,
i also get that sound when driving on the freeway, when i let off the gass pedal i hear that sound but as soon as i step on the gas pedal a little bit it goes away, it kindof sounds like if the car was reving up and down but its not engine related and RPM is ok
Old 07-05-16, 07:35 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

Could be ball joints...those are the most common on these cars....but I would put it on a lift and do an overall check of the suspension.
Old 07-05-16, 09:56 AM
Choritsu-shi
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STREETGS
... when i let off the gass pedal i hear that sound but as soon as i step on the gas pedal a little bit it goes away, it kindof sounds like if the car was reving up and down but its not engine related and RPM is ok

Bad or worn wheel bearings will get louder or more apparent every time you lift off the throttle to coast or slow down because you are shifting the load of the car. Or some would say transferring the weight or balance of the car. The early signs of bad bearings will make a "howling" sound and worsening to a "muffled grinding" sound. You will really feel it then, while braking.
Old 07-07-16, 05:16 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by STREETGS
Hep im getting this noise when turning left it doesnt sound like and axle almost like if something was
rubbing the tire but i have checked and nothing touches the tire,
i also get that sound when driving on the freeway, when i let off the gass pedal i hear that sound but as soon as i step on the gas pedal a little bit it goes away, it kindof sounds like if the car was reving up and down but its not engine related and RPM is ok
yes the typical sound while driving can be failing wheel bearings and can be determined by swerving the vehicle side to side to listen for changes in pitch. HOWEVER!!! it sounds like the op is stating that while driving in a straight line and letting off gas it makes the noise. than, when the throttle is reapplied the noise goes away. that is usually only one thing and thats excess play in the ring and pinion gears in the rear differential. check the fluid in it and see if theres anything abnormal. if nothing, remove the rear diff cover (remove diff from car) and inspect the ring gear for abnormal wear. find photos on google for what that looks like. hope that helps.
Old 07-18-16, 04:41 AM
Choritsu-shi
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by badblackgs
yes the typical sound while driving can be failing wheel bearings and can be determined by swerving the vehicle side to side to listen for changes in pitch. HOWEVER!!! it sounds like the op is stating that while driving in a straight line and letting off gas it makes the noise. than, when the throttle is reapplied the noise goes away. that is usually only one thing and thats excess play in the ring and pinion gears in the rear differential. check the fluid in it and see if theres anything abnormal. if nothing, remove the rear diff cover (remove diff from car) and inspect the ring gear for abnormal wear. find photos on google for what that looks like. hope that helps.

Yes, "ring and pinion" I totally missed that... good deduction, great call badblackgs.
Old 07-18-16, 05:15 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Choritsu-shi
Yes, "ring and pinion" I totally missed that... good deduction, great call badblackgs.
HOLLA!
I hope the op figures it out and gets back to us.
Old 07-23-16, 09:26 AM
tzxlyd
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

StreetGS,
Did you ever find out what the problem is that is causing your noise? I am having the same problem and I am wondering if you identified the issue to either bad ball joint or wheel bearing? Also, what side of the vehicle was the problem located? The last question is because I know I have a bad ball joint on the LH (driver side) LCA but I feel like I am hearing the grinding/rubbing noise on the RH (passenger side) of the car so I am curious about your posted problem.