GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Calling all with good taste!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-16, 09:08 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Calling all with good taste!

So if anyone whos reading this knows about my doings in the performance section, than you'll know that I'm currently rocking a 2002 GS430 supercharged. Here in Texas it's been really damn hot and I'm not a fan of excessive heat in the engine bay. I'm ready to take the plunge and do some hood modifications. I'm not interested in any of the ready made carbon fiber seibon hoods or anything similar. I'm thinking more along the lines of 2004 ish toyota 4runner hood scoop with Jaguar xj chrome vents that say "supercharged" on them over off to the upward sides of the hood. I've done plenty of google image searching and haven't found anything in particular. So I'm reaching out to you guys to get some recommendations. Photo shop is welcomed. I'm ready to go all the way as soon as I come up with a battle plan so let's do this. As long as the end result is superior heat dissipation. And some aggressive looks to go with.
Old 07-03-16, 11:13 AM
GS400V8
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I did a very quick mock-up. It was hard to find the right angles of the Toyota and Lexus, as well as the different color shades. For this reason, I made the picture very small. The 4Runner was a 2000, and I used a GS430.

Here are some off Google with different style vents:

Last edited by GS400V8; 07-03-16 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-03-16, 02:28 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

i think in real life the proportions would be smaller for the hood scoop. thank you for taking the time to photoshop that on there. plus the scoop would have to be further back.
Old 07-03-16, 02:50 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

this is a factory scoop from a toyota rav 4 of all things. heres the dimensions in the pic and it looks low profile enough but would still function.
Attached Thumbnails Calling all with good taste!-rav-4-hoodscoop.jpg   Calling all with good taste!-hood-scoop.jpg   Calling all with good taste!-hood-scoop-2.jpg  
Old 07-04-16, 01:36 AM
Hayce
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you want a scoop or a vent? Scoops take air in, vents take air out. Sounds like you want a vent.. Usually you'd want to open your bumper and grill intakes up, direct air through it and the bay then out the hood vent.
Old 07-04-16, 02:13 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

i think this is it!
Attached Thumbnails Calling all with good taste!-hood-scoop-3.jpg  
Old 07-05-16, 07:50 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

looks like scoop and vents!!!
Old 07-05-16, 09:26 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by badblackgs
this is a factory scoop from a toyota rav 4 of all things. heres the dimensions in the pic and it looks low profile enough but would still function.
Alex.... you know ironically the black and the SBM GS in those pictures were BOTH owned by that guy named Dee who created that hood we both like?
Old 07-05-16, 03:08 PM
GS400V8
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

No problem! Yeah, that hood scoop would have to go further back. That hood above is called a Sniper Hood.
I've edited this one too, same story here, small pic to hide the flaws. They were both black cars, but the hood vent one definitely had more lighting in the photo:

Old 07-05-16, 04:59 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Omg!!!!! that is the most gangster *** ****ing hood i've ever seen. thanks for editing that photo. Earlier today I did a ton of research on that hood and found that BMC customs in cooperation with black ops auto werks designed and molded that hood. its a creation from the newer model dodge viper srt10 hood. so, i called them and spoke with mike at BMC customs about the hood and my plans to take one and cut out the business section of it and graft it onto my hood. he than asked what year my car was and looked it up on line than suggested the dodge charger 2011-2013 would be a better fit since the factory hood lines are narrower to fit our gs hood. he said he has one in stock but 857.00 is a big hit just to go and chop it up than find someone to fiberglass it in than paint it. but before I go any further I have to get SAKATAJs' blessing that this hood modification would be the greatest thing ever. The company offered to make the sniper hood design for our gs but the initial investment to make the mold would be 4-5k. So i've already decided that one or the other I'm going to put this design on my car. and gs400v8, please photo shop some more!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Calling all with good taste!-sniper-hood.jpg   Calling all with good taste!-sniper-hood-2.jpg   Calling all with good taste!-sniper-hood-3.jpg   Calling all with good taste!-sniper-hood-4.jpg  
Old 07-06-16, 07:01 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by badblackgs
Omg!!!!! that is the most gangster *** ****ing hood i've ever seen. thanks for editing that photo. Earlier today I did a ton of research on that hood and found that BMC customs in cooperation with black ops auto werks designed and molded that hood. its a creation from the newer model dodge viper srt10 hood. so, i called them and spoke with mike at BMC customs about the hood and my plans to take one and cut out the business section of it and graft it onto my hood. he than asked what year my car was and looked it up on line than suggested the dodge charger 2011-2013 would be a better fit since the factory hood lines are narrower to fit our gs hood. he said he has one in stock but 857.00 is a big hit just to go and chop it up than find someone to fiberglass it in than paint it. but before I go any further I have to get SAKATAJs' blessing that this hood modification would be the greatest thing ever. The company offered to make the sniper hood design for our gs but the initial investment to make the mold would be 4-5k. So i've already decided that one or the other I'm going to put this design on my car. and gs400v8, please photo shop some more!!!!!!!
wait.... why do i care what hood you get? also what about water getting into/onto the motor with that hood?
Old 07-06-16, 10:04 AM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 07-06-16, 06:02 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sakataj
wait.... why do i care what hood you get? also what about water getting into/onto the motor with that hood?
Its a joke from when you dissed my super charger paint job. told you i check with you in the future. lol
Old 07-09-16, 07:44 AM
Noosik
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This one

Old 07-09-16, 08:14 AM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

something about the scoop part of it is too wide, it seems the proportions don't look right. all in all its a nice looking hood though. and it would definitely get the heat out which is my end goal.

Quick Reply: Calling all with good taste!