GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Is the GS factory alarm defeatable?

Old 06-26-16, 06:45 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Is the GS factory alarm defeatable?

Just like the title says. Is it? A very unsettling thing happened to me about three weeks ago. I noticed that my driver's side weatherstripping had been disturbed... at a very specific place up top on the outside.

So the common knowledge here is that we have the factory Toyota/Lexus alarm system. You try to unlock, ie. flip those door panel switches from the inside while the car's alarm is armed - honk, honk - the car goes nuts.

In theory, someone should not be able to unlock your car from inside or outside if the light is blinking. But what if a potential prowler is able to slide a device to flip that lock and very quickly pull the door handle from the outside?

The reason I ask is that I have a very keen eye for detail and I noticed immediately when this happened. My weatherstripping does not look like that. I tucked it back in, but it was very disturbing.
Old 06-26-16, 06:51 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

LoL look at your question and see how easily you can test it.

Lock your car with your window rolled down, reach in and flip the lock and see what happens. honk honk honk.

I've done it myself with every door.
Old 06-26-16, 07:24 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Yes. I've read that thread. What I should have added is this: does the car know that its windows are rolled up/down etc?

I'm talking about fully rolled up windows. Does anyone know if a potential prowler could use a powder coated steel rod to flip that switch and pull the door handle open? Has anyone actually tried that?

It's obvious that someone attempted to get into this car but maybe was frustrated or gave up.
Old 06-26-16, 07:46 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Have someone lock you in the car and try it.
Old 06-26-16, 08:52 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Why would I need to be in the car to try this? To guide the break-in device? Lol.

Simply asked for the experience of other CL members specific to this car. Thanks for your contribution Jokster. Anyone else? Bueller?
Old 06-26-16, 09:24 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

No, to BE the device, duh... The car doesnt know if its a device or your finger, simple logic dude and having fun while figuring things out on your own...

Btw, its been discussed before
Old 06-27-16, 05:14 AM
steelers6
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Just like the title says. Is it? A very unsettling thing happened to me about three weeks ago. I noticed that my driver's side weatherstripping had been disturbed... at a very specific place up top on the outside.

So the common knowledge here is that we have the factory Toyota/Lexus alarm system. You try to unlock, ie. flip those door panel switches from the inside while the car's alarm is armed - honk, honk - the car goes nuts.

In theory, someone should not be able to unlock your car from inside or outside if the light is blinking. But what if a potential prowler is able to slide a device to flip that lock and very quickly pull the door handle from the outside?

The reason I ask is that I have a very keen eye for detail and I noticed immediately when this happened. My weatherstripping does not look like that. I tucked it back in, but it was very disturbing.
Cant worry to much about theft,any car can be taken if someone really wants it,just keep driving and enjoy...
Old 06-27-16, 11:11 AM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

car goes honk honk until you disconnect the battery......i know from experience.
Old 06-27-16, 11:12 AM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by steelers6
Cant worry to much about theft,any car can be taken if someone really wants it,just keep driving and enjoy...
what he said, not to point out the obvious but look at his screen name lol
Old 06-27-16, 11:21 AM
steelers6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SoCal Cyco

what he said, not to point out the obvious but look at his screen name lol
U gotta point there,lol
Old 06-27-16, 12:30 PM
Fcdrifter2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no need to worry about theft if you got good insurance. Any alarms system is "defeatable" I mean we have all see gone in 60 seconds, they were stealing Ferrari's
Old 06-27-16, 03:07 PM
steelers6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fcdrifter2
no need to worry about theft if you got good insurance. Any alarms system is "defeatable" I mean we have all see gone in 60 seconds, they were stealing Ferrari's
Most definitely,just drive and enjoy it,cause whatever is gonna happen is just gonna happen...
Old 06-27-16, 05:34 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Yeah I hear you fellas. I don't worry about it getting stolen. It's simply not a high demand vehicle in my area at all. Stealing it would accomplish nothing. I was thinking along the lines of identity theft.

I no longer keep insurance/registration or repair invoices in the car since that's a bigger issue.
Old 06-28-16, 10:18 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Fcdrifter2
are you seriously comparing RL to a movie?
Old 06-28-16, 11:39 AM
steelers6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MattyG
Yeah I hear you fellas. I don't worry about it getting stolen. It's simply not a high demand vehicle in my area at all. Stealing it would accomplish nothing. I was thinking along the lines of identity theft.

I no longer keep insurance/registration or repair invoices in the car since that's a bigger issue.
Yeah i hear ya,identity theft is a much bigger issue,im pretty sure theres an engine immobilizer on that vehicle,might also wanna check into a fuel cut off immobilizer,god forbid if its ever stolen they go a few miles and it'll automatically shut down...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is the GS factory alarm defeatable?