GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Replaced VCV p0446 gone, but p0441 remains.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-16, 01:56 PM
akafixture
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Replaced VCV p0446 gone, but p0441 remains. Update

Well I finally got around to replacing the VCV valve and it is do-able with just removing the left rear wheel. The only real problem, besides it being a tight area to work in, was I didn't keep track of where the vacuum lines went. So I had to go online to get a diagram. I noticed that my fuel neck from the tank to the filler tube had a split in it. So that might be my issue with P0441, since its allowing air back and forth and not vacuum. I will double check all my vacuum lines in the engine bay, as well as get a replacement filler neck from the stealer. (dealer item only $71).

Plugged my laptop in to the car after the install and cleared the codes. No codes came back but P0441

Last edited by akafixture; 07-03-16 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Update 7-3-16
Old 06-26-16, 02:32 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Check your evap hoses under the hood. Depending on what the problem was with the vsv (if it were closed) then the pressure would have built up and found the easiest way to exit, which would be the weakest hose. I had the same problem and found that a hose popped off a nipple coming from the engine. I have a 300, so I cant point you in the right direction, however, with just a look under the hood, I'm willing to bet you will find a hose where its not supposed to be.

I did the same job and got the 441 code afterwards so I looked in my bay and saw a metal fitting staring right at me and the hose besides it; plugged it back in and voila, code disappeared.
Old 06-26-16, 03:17 PM
akafixture
Driver

Thanks Mr Jokster. I wish I had a complete vacuum diagram of where to look in my gs4. I will poke around tonight (when its cooler, damn socal weather)
Old 06-26-16, 03:24 PM
akafixture
Driver

Search does wonders!

Old 06-26-16, 04:20 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

The canister side of the diagram may be accurate, but thasts for a 300.

Honestly, you dont even need to know the routing, just take a gander under the hood and you'll find something where it doesnt belong thats what I did, found a hose in the back by the pcv not where it was supposed to be.

Just gotta do what those noobs you see on the side of the highway that know NOTHING about cars do, have the hood popped open and they're just looking around. Even one of those would find this problem haha of course if the case that my aforementioned scenario was at play here.
Old 06-26-16, 04:34 PM
Fcdrifter2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went through the same thing. Tested the valve, was able to make sure it was engaging first next I removed the vacuum lines to try and blow them out, found quite a bit of debris inside. Ended up being the charcoal canister, hopefully yours isn't the same thing. Try blowing out all the vacuum lines in the egr system and keep an eye on the amount of debris that comes out.
Old 06-26-16, 04:48 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

If you dont find a loose hose easily. do a fog test. Either take it in, or buy a cigar and take a few puffs and blow through a vacuum line and see where the smoke exits. Beats trying to find possible microbreaks in the lines
Old 06-26-16, 06:10 PM
akafixture
Driver

Mr Jokster, that is to funny. That is the way I have found leaks for years. Good ole cigar and blow in the lines. Glad Im not the only one who does that.
Old 06-28-16, 05:22 PM
akafixture
Driver

Update: P0446 is back, but if what Mr Jokster, says is right and a vacuum line popped off, it will still throw both codes. Just need to wait till its a little cooler to take the engine cover off and check everything out. Then do a smoke test if I cant find anything.
Old 06-28-16, 05:42 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

Mr Jokster is right. Had this EXACT problem and couldn't find the issue for the life of me. Eventually, took it to dealer and a hose had a hairline crack. This was their diagnosis: REPLACED RUBBER SECTIONS OF LINES AT PURGE VALVE (P0441/P0446). The purge valve is under the engine cover I believe.

Old 06-28-16, 06:35 PM
akafixture
Driver

Thanks Kevin3344. Come to think of it when I did the starter replacement, there was a hose by the air box assembly that kept cracking every time I tried to get it pushed on the hard line. I might just start with the a smoke test (Cigar Time!). Other then that I still need to replace the hose that was cracked from the fuel filler neck to the tank ($74 dealer only item). Will post back with what I find, with pictures.
Old 06-28-16, 07:14 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

doesnt hurt to heck the o-ring on the gas cap
Old 07-03-16, 03:09 PM
akafixture
Driver

Got around to replacing the fuel fiiler hose to the tank. It did have a rip that was causing my gas smell.

Then I went looking for my vacuum leak and found it in the engine bay. I didnt see it at first cause the plastic hose holder that was holding it place was hiding the fact that the hose was completely cracked in half. So I went and got a new hose and put it all back together. I didnt see any other hoses that had be disconnected or cracked. I reset the computer and will report back if the CEL comes back on. Then I might need to do a smoke test.

Old 07-07-16, 09:08 AM
akafixture
Driver

Been several days and no check engine light. So I ended up replacing the roll over / cut off valve (had a gas smell at right rear of car, verified that valve did have cracks), replaced the VSV solenoid, fuel filler hose from filler neck to tank (had a split in the hose) and found a vacuum leak / broken hose in the engine bay. No more gas smells coming from anywhere. Hope this helps some others out who might be dealing with similar problems.
Old 07-07-16, 01:33 PM
FiveSeven
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by akafixture
Been several days and no check engine light. So I ended up replacing the roll over / cut off valve (had a gas smell at right rear of car, verified that valve did have cracks), replaced the VSV solenoid, fuel filler hose from filler neck to tank (had a split in the hose) and found a vacuum leak / broken hose in the engine bay. No more gas smells coming from anywhere. Hope this helps some others out who might be dealing with similar problems.
how many miles do you have?

I have a fuel smell coming from the left rear but only after I drive.. I'm hoping its only the gas cap.. I only have 87k miles so I hope my roll over / cut off valve isn't the issue. I'm no handyman and i can only assume it'll cost me a arm and leg to get this fixed through my mechanic.

Quick Reply: Replaced VCV p0446 gone, but p0441 remains.