GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need advice is my mechanic ripping me off??

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-16, 11:28 AM
FiveSeven
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Need advice is my mechanic ripping me off??

I absolutely hate that I feel like this but I wanted to be certain that my mechanic isn't replacing parts that don't need to be replaced.

I recently bought a used 2003 gs300 and soon after I started to notice oil drops on my driveway where I park it. I went to get a diagnosis from a mechanic that I've been going to for years and he said that the oil leak isn't coming from the top side but the front side of the motor.. also might be the oil pan but he won't know until he fixes the leak on the front side.

He said most likely the timing belt got oil on it so he recommended I replace the timing belt.. when he replaces the seals... but since he was replacing the timing belt I told him to do the water pump also.. (last change was in 2010)

So here are the parts I was getting replaced:

Timing Belt
Water pump
all seals
Cam gears

my question is... are new cam gears really necessary?? Does $750-800 in parts and labor sound right?
Old 06-20-16, 11:39 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

you shouldn't need new cam gears... does he mean the cam seal?
Old 06-20-16, 11:44 AM
FiveSeven
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kamlung
you shouldn't need new cam gears... does he mean the cam seal?
no he's replacing the seal but also the cam gear.. I was a bit confused so i made sure to ask him again to clarify
Old 06-20-16, 02:29 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

I see no no need for the seals, but that labor price seems about right to change the belt.

As for not knowing if its the oil pan, doesnt take much to figure that out. Leaky oil pan gaskets have very easy signs to spot, mostly seeing beads of oil all around the pan or the area where its leaking (depending how bad it is) ready to drip or if its a small leak, there will be sludge around the area. A quick google on images of leaking oil pan shows that problem..

But yea, $800 is about right for the job, possibly a good deal. Timing belt jobs are like $1500 from what I've heard.
Old 06-20-16, 03:38 PM
FiveSeven
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
I see no no need for the seals, but that labor price seems about right to change the belt.

As for not knowing if its the oil pan, doesnt take much to figure that out. Leaky oil pan gaskets have very easy signs to spot, mostly seeing beads of oil all around the pan or the area where its leaking (depending how bad it is) ready to drip or if its a small leak, there will be sludge around the area. A quick google on images of leaking oil pan shows that problem..

But yea, $800 is about right for the job, possibly a good deal. Timing belt jobs are like $1500 from what I've heard.
i'll post a photo of my receipt after i pick up the car tomorrow .. I am pretty sure he said he was replacing all the seals
Old 06-20-16, 04:13 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

gs300 motors r ez peezy to work ok compared to the cramped spaced gs400's.
Old 06-20-16, 04:51 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

crap, I messed up! LoL I meant, I see no reason for the gears If he does see the seals leaking, then yes, they need replacing.

(I feel so dumb LoL)
Old 06-20-16, 05:01 PM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

he is talking about the vvTi gear that leaks oil. It should be replaced when doing cam seals
Old 06-20-16, 05:23 PM
liazon
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

if he's doing the vvti gear and all seals as part of t. belt service that's a very fair price
Old 06-20-16, 09:18 PM
FiveSeven
Intermediate

I got my car back earlier today and my mechanic walked me through everything that he changed and even showed me my old parts that were removed and the areas that the oil leak got into... He said the oil was leaking from all the seals. I guess he didn't change out the cam gears maybe i misunderstood him or am i missing something on that receipt?? I attached a photo of the parts used and the labor he charged.
Attached Thumbnails Need advice is my mechanic ripping me off??-partslabor.jpg  
Old 06-21-16, 05:44 AM
liazon
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

i just had this come up at my recent timing belt service. i asked the community about it and some said he was skimping, others said changing the cam seal (and/or gears) was superfluous. in the end i called a 20 year service manager in dallas (best lexus dealerships in the country, in my opinion, and one of their biggest markets) who said unless there was an active issue he agreed just leave it alone.

congrats on solving your oil leak! anytime you can get your lexus our of the shop for under $1k you are doing well
Old 06-21-16, 06:19 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

that was a fair price...
Old 06-21-16, 12:10 PM
bruceb58
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I always replace my cam seals when I do the timing belt. It's easy! Why wouldn't you do it?

I also replace the belt tensioner when I do the timing belt. Not sure why the mechanic didn't change that as well.
Old 06-21-16, 01:49 PM
FiveSeven
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bruceb58
I always replace my cam seals when I do the timing belt. It's easy! Why wouldn't you do it?

I also replace the belt tensioner when I do the timing belt. Not sure why the mechanic didn't change that as well.
I think it was because it was already changed 25k miles ago.. the belt needed to be replaced because oil had gotten all over it.. but since he was getting down to the belt I told him to change the water pump as well..
Old 06-21-16, 03:47 PM
lostape45
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

That's more than fair of a price honestly. Besides the $85 charge for changing the OCV seal, its a good deal because those cam gear seals start adding up on top of the already $500+ timing belt job.

Quick Reply: Need advice is my mechanic ripping me off??