GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2002 GS300 fuel filter packed full

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-16, 07:46 PM
tyl604
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 GS300 fuel filter packed full

My indy replaced the fuel pump and filter - located inside the fuel tank. He sawed the filter apart and both sides were fully packed with what looked like dirty sand. Do not see how any gas could have gotten through that filter at all.

Is this typical? It looked like someone had packed dirty sand in it and tamped it down. Is that typical?
Old 06-01-16, 09:25 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

yes its is, thats what its their for. Plenty have posted pics of this.

Also word of advise... Never pump gas if theres a tanker filling the tanks at the station. When they do this, it stirs up any crap that has sunk to the bottom of the underground tanks and while you're pumping, it all gets in your tank, probably where a lot of that came from.
Old 06-02-16, 08:48 AM
GS3KID
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tyl604
My indy replaced the fuel pump and filter - located inside the fuel tank. He sawed the filter apart and both sides were fully packed with what looked like dirty sand. Do not see how any gas could have gotten through that filter at all.

Is this typical? It looked like someone had packed dirty sand in it and tamped it down. Is that typical?
let us know if you notice any real difference in mpg
Old 06-02-16, 09:56 AM
bruceb58
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would think there would be no difference in MPG. Should only affect how much fuel the engine would get at high fuel flows under acceleration.
Old 06-02-16, 10:13 AM
GS3KID
Driver

Originally Posted by bruceb58
I would think there would be no difference in MPG. Should only affect how much fuel the engine would get at high fuel flows under acceleration.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-filter-5.html

#66 and a few on from there people in the past believed it did, being six years ago i just wanted to see if there was a difference for the OP in their MPG.
Old 06-02-16, 10:39 AM
bruceb58
Pole Position

LOL...he later siad it was his right foot that made the difference. Seriously, how would increasing fuel flow increase MPG.

Of course there are some people on here that think changing a dirty air filer helps MPG too.
Old 06-02-16, 10:52 AM
bruceb58
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
y
Also word of advise... Never pump gas if theres a tanker filling the tanks at the station. When they do this, it stirs up any crap that has sunk to the bottom of the underground tanks and while you're pumping, it all gets in your tank, probably where a lot of that came from.
There is actually a snopes page regarding this. Since gas stations are required to have filters between the tanks and the pumps, this shouldn't be an issue.
Old 06-02-16, 11:36 AM
GS3KID
Driver

thank you for correcting then theres no real reason for swapping when toyota doesnt call for it? kept me from doing work on my car when i dont need to thank you
Old 06-02-16, 11:56 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by tyl604

next time OP just search before making a post, both these threads show the insides and talks about them

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...el-filter.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...s-at-100k.html

LOL...he later siad it was his right foot that made the difference. Seriously, how would increasing fuel flow increase MPG.

Of course there are some people on here that think changing a dirty air filer helps MPG too.
well since we are talking about me. i will comment. i recorded my mileage, driving to nashville (3 hours) before the filter change and after with MORE weight in my car and a faster speed the second trip. my mileage increased,my mileage in the city went up also so IMHO it works and for me it worked significantly. EVERYONE of us from that thread showed a improvement in mileage (except Jewcano)

also EVERYONEinpeople e showed a improvement (againt except Jewcano)

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...s-at-100k.html

BTW changing a dirty filter allows air flow so if you use a straw to suck in air and you then change the straw to a pvc pipe which one flows more freely. let me put it in a different analogy, your home A/C system uses a filter in the return air plenum or filter box, if you dont ever change the filter the filter housing will get clogged and forcing the a/c unit to work harder which can make it freeze over as you have a AIR FLOW RESTRICTION. This works very similar to the engine in your car, if you engine is having to work harder to ingest air it can affect your mileage very simply

There is actually a snopes page regarding this. Since gas stations are required to have filters between the tanks and the pumps, this shouldn't be an issue.
i thought this was also a debunked myth too but just in case i try not to pump when they are there.

Originally Posted by GS3KID
thank you for correcting then theres no real reason for swapping when toyota doesnt call for it? kept me from doing work on my car when i dont need to thank you
although toyota claims this to be a lifetime part, i would disagree personally

Last edited by sakataj; 06-02-16 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-02-16, 11:05 PM
bruceb58
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sakataj
This works very similar to the engine in your car, if you engine is having to work harder to ingest air it can affect your mileage very simply
I am actually surprised that you of all people believe this. The engine adjusts the fuel to air mixture to be a constant. You may have less power at WOT because you can't suck in enough air and you may have a slightly more open throttle position but the amount of fuel burnt for a given amount of air will be identical.

See page 14 of this test write up :
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/...02_26_2009.pdf

As far as getting less MPG with a clogged fuel filter, please explain to me how you happen to get better efficiency with a fuel filter that may flow a little freer. Seriously, if the filter was really clogged, your engine would run leaner and use less fuel at the risk of burning a hole in your piston. In all actuality, if the filter was really that bad, you would have issues on acceleration. On the highway, where you supposedly measured your MPG, your fuel draw is magnitudes lower than when accelerating. If you didn't have issues with the engine leaning out/bogging on acceleration, then you wouldn't see any manifestations at cruise.

BTW, was an electrical engineer at Delco years ago working with engine management systems.

My mileage in my GS300 can vary 2 MPG from trip to trip on the very same freeway leg which is over 2 hours. I would likely have to do 10 runs before and 10 runs after to show any significant data supporting any conclusion. LOL...I could probably wash my car and prove that a dirty or washed car gave me 2 MPG difference if I only used one trip!

Last edited by bruceb58; 06-03-16 at 06:35 AM.
Old 06-03-16, 06:57 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

I am actually surprised that you of all people believe this.
Call me a kook then

all i know is i drove my car at 2200-2400 rpm for a 2 weeks prior to install (2 tanks) and 3 weeks after (3 tanks), yes BTW it was tortuous and my mileage improved.... i also made several runs to Nashville (which i used to do a lot) and a trip to ATL (which i also used to do a lot) and my mileage was better than any trips before
Old 06-03-16, 05:34 PM
bruceb58
Pole Position

I am going to change mine at the end of summer. I will report on what I find.
Old 06-06-16, 01:26 PM
tyl604
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been getting reduced mileage for some time; say 3-5mpg. The indy said that the clogged filter could cause that. He also said I could drive the vehicle in town for a while before I change the filter. He said that it would eventually stop the gas flow and I would have to call a wrecker. However he warned me not to take it on a long trip because the computer would lean it out and (as suggested above) it could damage the engine.

So I am going to check my mileage now to see if it has improved. Before I changed the filter when I showered down on the accelerator, there was little response - nothing like it used to be; it just had no pickup. Now that is all gone. Pickup is fine again.

Now I find that PepBoys wants $675 for two rear shocks. Sounds like a lot.
Old 06-06-16, 02:46 PM
GS3KID
Driver

Sakataj is it best to replace the whole pump or just the sock filter?

I see I can get it pretty cheap from rock auto like $40 but I think I remember people saying you have to swap all the O rings into the new one?
Old 06-07-16, 08:00 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3KID
Sakataj is it best to replace the whole pump or just the sock filter?

I see I can get it pretty cheap from rock auto like $40 but I think I remember people saying you have to swap all the O rings into the new one?
IMHO I would do both while your in there

i had no issues with the O-rings but the 98-2000 and the 2001+ houses were different....

Quick Reply: 2002 GS300 fuel filter packed full