GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

99 gs 300 door lock switches works backwards

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-16, 11:57 AM
ZeekGS300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 gs 300 door lock switches works backwards

My door lock switches works backwards. The lock bottom unlocks and the unlock locks it. Can anybody help me out?
Old 05-27-16, 12:43 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Is that with both sides of the car, driver and passenger button or just the driver side button? First thing that comes to mind is possibly some burnt wires and it reversing the polarity with the ground.
Old 05-27-16, 12:57 PM
ZeekGS300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Is that with both sides of the car, driver and passenger button or just the driver side button? First thing that comes to mind is possibly some burnt wires and it reversing the polarity with the ground.
it's both sides. Where should I look?
Old 05-27-16, 02:36 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Wait a sec... Are you talking about the door buttons or the key fob?
Old 05-27-16, 08:02 PM
ZeekGS300
Pole Position

The key and the door switches

Driver side panel off
Old 05-27-16, 08:14 PM
ZeekGS300
Pole Position

What can these wires possibly be for? It tapped and together and I hear the doors locks ?
Old 05-27-16, 09:13 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Well shoot... Obviously 'things' have been done in there, personally I cant diagnose anything thats been modded unless its in front of me, only speculate.

With wires exposed like that, who knows what anyone did in there. I would hope and would assume those are just the wires from the modified stereo components.

Seeing this mess now makes me have to ask a bunch of question on how it all lead up to this 'cause it now seems theres more to the story here.

Need to know, how long have you had the car, did YOU do any modifications, did you buy the car like this (modified), how long have you had it before the lock issue began, did the issue happen after some sort of 'mod' etc...
Old 05-27-16, 11:25 PM
ZeekGS300
Pole Position

Well shoot... Obviously 'things' have been done in there, personally I cant diagnose anything thats been modded unless its in front of me, only speculate.

With wires exposed like that, who knows what anyone did in there. I would hope and would assume those are just the wires from the modified stereo components.

Seeing this mess now makes me have to ask a bunch of question on how it all lead up to this 'cause it now seems theres more to the story here.

Need to know, how long have you had the car, did YOU do any modifications, did you buy the car like this (modified), how long have you had it before the lock issue began, did the issue happen after some sort of 'mod' etc...
I didn't do anything to it but changed out my door speakers.. So I honestly have no idea but when I put the wires together I hear the locks

Last edited by ZeekGS300; 05-28-16 at 01:55 AM.
Old 05-28-16, 09:15 AM
ZeekGS300
Pole Position

Does anybody have a diagram I can see of their door panel wiring?
Old 05-28-16, 10:59 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

No diagram needed, unless you dont have the skills of wiring. You need to remove all the zip ties, electrical tape and unbunch the wires, follow them and see where they are going to and where they're coming from. They're NOT suppose to touch each other. Those wires have been cut or removed from something, you need to find out from where/what. Ask yourself this, you have 4 wires that have been cut, where are the other ends? In other words, there are another set of blue, green, red and brown wires somewhere else, gotta find them because different color wires would NOT be linked together other than with a switch or module. Does this make sense? Forgive me if I sound rude, cause I'm not, I'm just trying to help. I LOVE wiring and this all becomes simple... When its in front of me

Back to the beginning of my statement, you need to find out where those 4 wires are coming from. If they're coming from the multiplex (which I'm leading to believe since because when you touched them, you heard the door lock), I can bet that the other end of the wires are coming from the harness going into the switch. If (and probably when) you find the other 4 wires on the harness side, just butt connect or better yet, solder and heat shrink the like color wires together and you're good to go. One thing that may make things harder (which again I think will happen) is that since the door locks are still somewhat working, I'm thinking that some jerry rigging may have been done for it to 'somewhat' function and you may have to use a bit of electrical intelligence to undo it

Lastly The OTHER thought that comes to mind is IF there is some jerry rigging, WHY was it jerry rigged and will putting things back the way they're supposed to be bring back the problem that the jerry rigging undid?

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 05-28-16 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-21-16, 01:06 PM
ZeekGS300
Pole Position

No diagram needed, unless you dont have the skills of wiring. You need to remove all the zip ties, electrical tape and unbunch the wires, follow them and see where they are going to and where they're coming from. They're NOT suppose to touch each other. Those wires have been cut or removed from something, you need to find out from where/what. Ask yourself this, you have 4 wires that have been cut, where are the other ends? In other words, there are another set of blue, green, red and brown wires somewhere else, gotta find them because different color wires would NOT be linked together other than with a switch or module. Does this make sense? Forgive me if I sound rude, cause I'm not, I'm just trying to help. I LOVE wiring and this all becomes simple... When its in front of me

Back to the beginning of my statement, you need to find out where those 4 wires are coming from. If they're coming from the multiplex (which I'm leading to believe since because when you touched them, you heard the door lock), I can bet that the other end of the wires are coming from the harness going into the switch. If (and probably when) you find the other 4 wires on the harness side, just butt connect or better yet, solder and heat shrink the like color wires together and you're good to go. One thing that may make things harder (which again I think will happen) is that since the door locks are still somewhat working, I'm thinking that some jerry rigging may have been done for it to 'somewhat' function and you may have to use a bit of electrical intelligence to undo it

Lastly The OTHER thought that comes to mind is IF there is some jerry rigging, WHY was it jerry rigged and will putting things back the way they're supposed to be bring back the problem that the jerry rigging undid?
I checked everything in all my door panels and they seem to be fine. And I'm still having the problem with my key fob working opposite where my lock button unlocks and my unlock button locks the door 😩😩 It sucks because every time I open my door it sounds off the alarm 😫. Now the only thing I did was changed out the door actuators the little motors and I was thinking if one of them maybe can be bad would it cause this problem? I just want my alarm to work regular 😩 any suggestions? Thanks
Old 06-21-16, 04:02 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeekGS300
I checked everything in all my door panels and they seem to be fine. And I'm still having the problem with my key fob working opposite where my lock button unlocks and my unlock button locks the door 😩😩 It sucks because every time I open my door it sounds off the alarm 😫. Now the only thing I did was changed out the door actuators the little motors and I was thinking if one of them maybe can be bad would it cause this problem? I just want my alarm to work regular 😩 any suggestions? Thanks

Bro it really looks like you bought the wrong replacement motors. Where in Cali are you located. If your near Los Angles send me a private message.
Old 06-21-16, 06:43 PM
ZeekGS300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexo98
Bro it really looks like you bought the wrong replacement motors. Where in Cali are you located. If your near Los Angles send me a private message.
I live up here in northern Cali! Dang yeah I believe that's it. I bought these motors here https://www.ebay.com/itm/301794236687 .. Can you direct me to the correct ones so I can replace mines out? Thanks
Old 07-06-16, 02:27 AM
TW99GS300
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Some motors will look the same but the polarity are different. easiest fix is to reverse the pins going into the door actuators. You'll need to do this for all door actuators that you had replaced the motors on. Or order the correct spec motors if you want to do the whole thing over again,
Old 07-06-16, 02:59 AM
ZeekGS300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TW99GS300
Some motors will look the same but the polarity are different. easiest fix is to reverse the pins going into the door actuators. You'll need to do this for all door actuators that you had replaced the motors on. Or order the correct spec motors if you want to do the whole thing over again,
thank you for the advise I just replaced all of them now and it works perfect! Thanks.