GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My (and my GS's) first accident ever :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-16, 11:46 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by lyonkster
Yup, there does seem to be a rash of GS's getting hit all of a sudden. Sorry to see you join the club .
why couldnt it have been my Pruis that got keyed and my Lexus hit?
Old 06-15-16, 11:59 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
why couldnt it have been my Pruis that got keyed and my Lexus hit?
Who knows, your time may yet come .
Old 06-15-16, 01:01 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Who knows, your time may yet come .
fingers crossed
Old 07-09-16, 11:24 AM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks Brian. From my pessimist (realist?) point of view, I also don't expect them to be able to fix it to my satisfaction.

The only ray of hope is that Allstate has told me that since this was one of their "good hands" shops, that if I am not happy with the results they would pay for me to take it somewhere else to get done right. Fingers crossed.
Leon,
I'm actually a field adjuster for Allstate down here in Florida. I can assure you that they will make you happy, especially since you chose to go to one of our GHRN shops. We stand behind our shops and when our customers aren't happy (insured or not), we take it very seriously. So hopefully all goes smoothly from here! Looks like they need to do a good wet sand and buff to make that orange peel disappear.
Old 07-11-16, 07:28 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 99rx
Leon,
I'm actually a field adjuster for Allstate down here in Florida. I can assure you that they will make you happy, especially since you chose to go to one of our GHRN shops. We stand behind our shops and when our customers aren't happy (insured or not), we take it very seriously. So hopefully all goes smoothly from here! Looks like they need to do a good wet sand and buff to make that orange peel disappear.
That's really good to hear, and I have a couple of questions for you, but first an update.

The original shop attempted to repair the defects I noted. They did a decent job color sanding the paint, the orange peel is mostly gone now. However they did not buff it out enough, so I still have some craters in the paint, and the entire hood is covered with sanding marks and is a bit dull.

Worse, the color is still mismatched between the rear bumper, trunk lid, quarters, and spoiler. I see it every time I come up to my car, and it really bothers me. I am definitely not going back to that shop again, they just don't have the expertise and equipment to do the job right.

Allstate sent out a field adjuster, who was fairly belligerent. He did not look at the car, but started telling me that because they sent the payout check to me instead of to the shop, that they have no responsibility for getting the car properly repaired. I quoted him the text of the letter they sent to me ("IF YOU AGREE TO USE OUR RECOMMENDED AUTOMOTIVE REPAIR DEALER, WE WILL CAUSE THE DAMAGED VEHICLE TO BE RESTORED TO ITS CONDITION PRIOR TO THE LOSS AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU") (which says nothing about where the check is sent) and reminded him that I did go to their recommended shop. But he kept telling me they have no responsibility.

I stopped by another shop, which was recommended by Lexus, and was told that it would cost around $4K to repaint the rear portion of the car, and to buff out the hood. I'm quite unhappy with the situation obviously. My car was near perfect before the accident, now it's obvious from a mile away that it was in an accident, and its value is obviously diminished.

So 99rx, what are your thoughts? Am I unreasonable to expect my car to be returned to the pre-accident condition, as promised by Allstate? What course of action should I take to achieve that?