GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My (and my GS's) first accident ever :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-16, 09:58 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AmanO
Do you mean fog up or the black parts fading?

EVERYONE should ALWAYS have a coat of wax or some protectant on your headlight housings.
The issue you may still see is delamination. That is what is happening to mine. I get a lot of stone chips. I think that is the culprit. (or rock salt, being in the midwest.)
We're talking lenses; my suspicion (unverified, just gut feel) is that an aftermarket lens will have less UV inhibitors than OEM. But as I said, it's just a guess.
Old 05-25-16, 03:16 PM
scottp104
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leon,
My hood was totally new. I just looked underneath it and I does not have any OEM sticker on it. Perhaps this is a California thing because that state is out of control with your emission regulations. The whole nation has 1 set of guidelines and Cali has another set. I would think if it's the law, then they have to supply it. If it's not, then don't worry about something like that. Just think positive thoughts and your car is in the right hands. GL!
Old 05-26-16, 09:29 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by scottp104
Leon,
My hood was totally new. I just looked underneath it and I does not have any OEM sticker on it. Perhaps this is a California thing because that state is out of control with your emission regulations. The whole nation has 1 set of guidelines and Cali has another set. I would think if it's the law, then they have to supply it. If it's not, then don't worry about something like that. Just think positive thoughts and your car is in the right hands. GL!
nope the stickers are OEM parts, you can even order them like i did when i replaced my hood.

so if your hood was replaced, they didnt replace your stickers
Old 05-26-16, 06:30 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Originally Posted by sakataj
nope the stickers are OEM parts, you can even order them like i did when i replaced my hood.

so if your hood was replaced, they didnt replace your stickers
Right, a new hood would not come with stickers - problem is I don't know what stickers go on the underside of a 2001 GS430. Hopefully the body shop saved my old hood, then I'll be able to have a look and order replacements.
Old 05-27-16, 04:30 AM
scottp104
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

something new I learn everyday here. Thanks guys for the sticker information. This Lexus forum has proven to be invaluable source of info. Thanks again.
Old 06-09-16, 02:52 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Well, not a good start. Despite all my attempts to make it clear to the body shop that I am picky, they did a far less than impressive job. To be fair, when I pointed out the defects, they agreed that they would not be happy with it either, so they are reworking it. But they said they may not be able to match the smoothness of the original paint, and said that I may have to get used to the orange peel. So I am thinking that they simply don't have the expertise to do it right. But we'll see how it comes back the second time.

Here are some "highlights" from their first attempt:

Big blob of clear on the hood edge. Also lots of sharp edges along the hood and trunk, where they probably had tape during painting:

Name:  drips_zpsgq9uz09r.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  87.2 KB

Wrinkle in the rear bumper that they supposedly reworked:

Name:  wrinkle_zps5li3v6nx.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  56.2 KB

Color mismatch between the bumper and the original quarter panel paint:

Name:  color%20mismatch_zpsw4jkiqfl.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  103.6 KB

Now we're getting to the bigger issues. The entire area they sprayed is covered in fisheyes and similar craters. Don't know if they had a dirty spray booth, water in the gun, or whatever - not really for me to know, just for them to fix:

Name:  craters_zpsfh1k3vqn.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  122.8 KB

And leaving the best for last, here is the orange peel on the paint they sprayed. The smooth reflections are from the OEM panels; the orange-peely ones are from what they painted, the hood and the trunk.

Name:  orange%20peel_zps1n5k0cgc.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  89.6 KB

So far they tried to tell me that with today's paints, they can't sand and buff to match OEM, but obviously I am not going to buy that argument in the end. I stopped by the Lexus dealer just for fun, here is a reflection from a car they had outside the showroom. Looks pretty nice to me.

Name:  lexus%20roof_zpsgxeq7pnv.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  72.5 KB

Anyway, maybe they'll get their A-team on this and I'll be happy in the end, stranger things have happened.
Old 06-10-16, 08:32 AM
AmanO
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmmm. I do not think I would have let that car be shown to the customer.
Old 06-13-16, 08:55 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lyonkster
Anyway, maybe they'll get their A-team on this and I'll be happy in the end, stranger things have happened.
after the debacle my GS went through with a body shop for almost 2 years im bummed to see this, especially considering both my cars are now in the bodyshop for insurance work

GL getting this reseolved, i wouldnt be happy with that
Old 06-13-16, 08:58 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Originally Posted by sakataj
after the debacle my GS went through with a body shop for almost 2 years im bummed to see this, especially considering both my cars are now in the bodyshop for insurance work

GL getting this reseolved, i wouldnt be happy with that
Thanks Brian. From my pessimist (realist?) point of view, I also don't expect them to be able to fix it to my satisfaction.

The only ray of hope is that Allstate has told me that since this was one of their "good hands" shops, that if I am not happy with the results they would pay for me to take it somewhere else to get done right. Fingers crossed.
Old 06-13-16, 09:33 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lyonkster
Thanks Brian. From my pessimist (realist?) point of view, I also don't expect them to be able to fix it to my satisfaction.

The only ray of hope is that Allstate has told me that since this was one of their "good hands" shops, that if I am not happy with the results they would pay for me to take it somewhere else to get done right. Fingers crossed.
thats good....i hope my experiences arent similar (ie getting it back like that) GL
Old 06-14-16, 02:22 PM
8M6
Pit Crew

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

Can we just make this an official thread for everyone who has gone through this crap lately?

17 years of driving, first ever real accident. On the way to lunch today, my SBM GS400 got t-boned in the passenger-side center-rear by an inattentive driver at an intersection where I had the right of way. Neither I nor my coworker were hurt. The officer didn't tell me explicitly, but I saw him hand the other driver a summons and it's pretty cut and dry as to who was at fault.

It's going to take at least a day for the police report to become available, but I am not looking forward to the out-of-pocket cost that I'm going to be seeing. I think the damage is easily worth more than the car. Right rear quarter damage, rear bumper bracket/fastener got bent, right rear door is completely toast, and the right front door has some creases in it that could possibly also require replacement. There's also some rear hub/axle and wheel damage as well.

Faced with the prospect of getting another car, I've realized one thing in about 15 minutes of AutoTrader searching: Nothing I want is available at a suitable price point for me. There are no other SBM GS400s for sale anywhere in the US and a used IS F or Cadillac CTS-V cost way more than I'm willing to pay for any car.

Once I can get my car from the impound lot, I have two collision shops in mind for looking at it, because I want my unicorn repaired. It's financially unsound, but still cheaper than looking for a another car that I like or even going through the hassle of respraying a non-SBM GS400 and transferring over my parts. I'm thankful to not be hurt and not have money be a limiting factor in my decision. I just don't want to spend $30-40K on a different car.

I'll eventually post pics when I have the time after I get the first round of documentation with the police report and insurance, but I'm also going out of town for the rest of the week, so this was an especially bad time for this to happen.
Old 06-14-16, 03:57 PM
AmanO
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You say there are no SBM 400s available in the entire us, what search engines did you use? Is there one that is that exhaustive that I do not know about?
Old 06-14-16, 05:38 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

Unfortunately it seems like the repairs will exceed the value of the car; even so, not sure it will drive correctly after hub/axle wheel damage. Have you checked Cars.com? They seem to have a better GS selection than Autotrader. But you're right, no way I'm spending $30-40k on a car when I can pick up a GS for $5-10k!
Old 06-14-16, 06:07 PM
8M6
Pit Crew

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by AmanO
You say there are no SBM 400s available in the entire us, what search engines did you use? Is there one that is that exhaustive that I do not know about?
Just AutoTrader and eBay. I know there are other sites out there, but I haven't thought of looking them up yet. I do know that the car is damn rare, especially in excellent condition. When I searched in 2010-11, there were never more than five for sale in the country at one time using AutoTrader and eBay. Now there are zero.

Originally Posted by kevin3344
Unfortunately it seems like the repairs will exceed the value of the car; even so, not sure it will drive correctly after hub/axle wheel damage. Have you checked Cars.com? They seem to have a better GS selection than Autotrader. But you're right, no way I'm spending $30-40k on a car when I can pick up a GS for $5-10k!
Thanks for the tip! Yeah, there's no reason for me to spend that much on any car. I'm not financially independent because of owning expensive cars. I mean, I get why people would spend that much, but I don't live in the highest tax bracket and I don't want to play that game. As much as I love my cars and as much as I'm in favor of the aftermarket, they are still depreciating assets, even more so when modded. I don't believe in financing anything other than my house, but I also find it crazy to pay more than a down payment for a house to buy a car outright.

Last edited by 8M6; 06-14-16 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-15-16, 10:25 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Originally Posted by 8M6
Can we just make this an official thread for everyone who has gone through this crap lately?
Yup, there does seem to be a rash of GS's getting hit all of a sudden. Sorry to see you join the club .

Quick Reply: My (and my GS's) first accident ever :(