GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Hello everybody I'm New to the group, need help on buying a 2005 GS

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-16, 05:45 PM
TayDayGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello everybody I'm New to the group, need help on buying a 2005 GS

I have owned 2 Lexuses already and they were both GS's, I recently went to a car lot in my city (Milwaukee) they have a 2005 GS300 for sale 4200, it has 230,000 miles on it, it's VERY clean I test drove it and all I jus wanted to know do you guy think it's worth it ?
Old 04-27-16, 05:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Welcome to CL.

With all due respect, I wouldn't buy anything with that kind of mileage on it, even if it were dirt-cheap.
Old 04-27-16, 06:06 PM
TayDayGS
Driver School Candidate

I understand but you don't think it would be a good buy
Old 04-27-16, 06:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TayDayGS
I understand but you don't think it would be a good buy
Well, it is true that you aren't putting up much for it ($4000 isn't much today)...but, for something like this, the risks, IMO, outweigh the cost-savings. Of course, I could be wrong (I've been wrong before, and you can't always predict the ultimate life-span of any particular vehicle)....but I myself wouldn't chance it.

Also, is this GS an AWD version? (the addition of AWD as an option came right about that time....during 2005, for the 2006 model year). Consumer Reports (whose reliability data I take seriously) shows GS RWD models substantially more reliable than AWD models.
Old 04-27-16, 06:25 PM
TayDayGS
Driver School Candidate

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-...ting=139900721 Tht is the link check it out
Old 04-27-16, 06:38 PM
2006GeeEss
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try running the VIN to see how it was maintained. If you can, take it to get checked out by a trusted mechanic. That's a ton of miles, if you aren't using it as a daily, cool, maybe a project. But why not continue saving and get something with less miles? are u in need of a ride asap? if not, pass on it.
Old 04-27-16, 06:43 PM
TayDayGS
Driver School Candidate

Yea u guys are right that's true and nah I'm not really in need of a car just impatient lol,
Old 04-27-16, 08:02 PM
liazon
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

1st off, welcome to Club Lexus. A well kept and loved 250k car has just as much value to it's owner as an LFA does to his (or her as seen on the LFA C&C Dallas thread)

I recently bought a 2005 GS. I searched for almost 6 months for the 'right' car, knew the market backwards and forwards for the GS, ES and LS, and even then fell victim to my impatience and missed some things on the car i bought. Lexus 'fever' has a way of doing that.

My advice:
1. If you can't afford a minimum of $8-10,000, don't buy a Lexus. Buy a Toyota.

2. If you do decide to spend the money for a Lexus, check out Gateway One Lending. My I rate for an 11 year old car was a very competitive 5.49% with no money down.

3. No maintenance records, NO deal. Period.
Lexus are great cars IF they are maintained. You need proof of that maintenance when buying a car that's been on the road for 10+ years.
This website is great:
https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...serviceHistory

4. And as always,Go Pack Go!
Attached Files

Last edited by liazon; 04-27-16 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-27-16, 08:50 PM
firelizard

Received 422 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, it is true that you aren't putting up much for it ($4000 isn't much today)...but, for something like this, the risks, IMO, outweigh the cost-savings. Of course, I could be wrong (I've been wrong before, and you can't always predict the ultimate life-span of any particular vehicle)....but I myself wouldn't chance it.

Also, is this GS an AWD version? (the addition of AWD as an option came right about that time....during 2005, for the 2006 model year). Consumer Reports (whose reliability data I take seriously) shows GS RWD models substantially more reliable than AWD models.
The S160 (second generation) GS was not available with AWD. You're thinking of the third generation. As you stated, the third generation was introduced for the 2006 model year, meaning they started manufacturing in at least 2005. A 2005 model year GS is still the second generation platform, essentially unchanged since 1998 (model year).
Old 04-27-16, 09:17 PM
TayDayGS
Driver School Candidate

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-...ting=139900721 Here is the car I checked theVin history and things came back ok
Old 04-27-16, 09:25 PM
ALtin107
Pole Position

Go with your gut feeling. If you feel the car is kept in great condition and everything checks out then go for it. If not, then just know if something major needs repairing then it might not be worth it to fix because it may cost more than the cost of the car.
Old 04-27-16, 09:43 PM
TayDayGS
Driver School Candidate

I test drove it everything was ok but I kno over time things happen the car seems well kept mostly highway miles the inside is still KRISPY outside also , the high miles scare me
Old 04-27-16, 10:52 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

if it shifts smooth and engine purs, then everything else is a piece of cake, heck even a used motor at wrecking yard for these is 300$ due to the low demand, cause they never fail. Also get it on a lift to check out for leaks and suspension issues, drive it on a bumpy road, go over speed bumps , check the e shift,etc..

Test drive a gs400/430 before you pull the trigger on this, you may think otherwise.
Old 04-29-16, 08:14 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by liazon
1st off, welcome to Club Lexus. A well kept and loved 250k car has just as much value to it's owner as an LFA does to his (or her as seen on the LFA C&C Dallas thread)

I recently bought a 2005 GS. I searched for almost 6 months for the 'right' car, knew the market backwards and forwards for the GS, ES and LS, and even then fell victim to my impatience and missed some things on the car i bought. Lexus 'fever' has a way of doing that.

My advice:
1. If you can't afford a minimum of $8-10,000, don't buy a Lexus. Buy a Toyota.

2. If you do decide to spend the money for a Lexus, check out Gateway One Lending. My I rate for an 11 year old car was a very competitive 5.49% with no money down.

3. No maintenance records, NO deal. Period.
Lexus are great cars IF they are maintained. You need proof of that maintenance when buying a car that's been on the road for 10+ years.
This website is great:
https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...serviceHistory

4. And as always,Go Pack Go!
THANKS BUTTON Worthy Post!!!

Originally Posted by 2001GeeEss
try running the VIN to see how it was maintained. If you can, take it to get checked out by a trusted mechanic. That's a ton of miles, if you aren't using it as a daily, cool, maybe a project. But why not continue saving and get something with less miles? are u in need of a ride asap? if not, pass on it.
Ditto....

Bought a 201K Mile 99 GS400 a month ago...had records out the wazzoo...flew to Minneapolis
and drove the car back to Chicago...

On the way home about halfway the car stalled on the highway leaving my wife and I stranded for 3 hours before a tow truck came.

Paid 660.00 extra to tow the car come (thanks AAA for not letting us upgrade the policy to 200 mile towing on the spot...that's another story for another day)

Got the car home and worked out the deal with the seller since he took pride in his GS ( and owned an E63 AMG as his other car) and had him split the costs of the towing.

I say all that to say this...even with a well maintained car, anything can and will happen especially when they get up there in mileage.

1. like everyone said...research these cars and find out what goes wrong at certain mileage. Make sure the seller repaired these things...if not get ready because that's an additional expense you're about to incur after you buy the car.

2. Set aside some extra cash in case anything happens afterwards

3. Absolutely make sure the basic requirements are done...(i.e...clean title, timing belt, ball joints, good tires, good brakes and suspension....A/C servos, door switch regulator things etc..) because these are about to become your headaches you must deal with after you buy the car

4. If the seller doesn't have a clue or records...no matter how good the car looks..WALK AWAY or set aside the additional funds to repair these items after you get the car...

5. Add it all up...if the car's sold at a stupid deal where you can justify the expenses in case they're needed....go ahead and get the car

Hope this helps
Old 04-29-16, 08:24 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

i'd pay $3k for a car with that high of a mileage... it's a base 300... you could find a 400/430 with half the mileage for 1-2k more..

Quick Reply: Hello everybody I'm New to the group, need help on buying a 2005 GS