GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

WARNING for replica TTE Lips off eBay

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-16, 12:16 PM
ericherm1
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default WARNING for replica TTE Lips off eBay

This is just a warning for all and forwarding my experience about a particular product.

Replica TTE lips off eBay from seller autumnwish_autoart are just plain junk. I purchased one a few months back and am just now finding the time to try and install it. The box it came in was just a few inches shorter than the lip so it was already warped from shipping so I left it out and hanging on the garage wall to allow for the urethane to possibly reshape itself. It did somewhat but when I went to install it the front corners are so out of wack even a heat gun is not enough to reshape the curve. It needs to be pulled and reshaped.

This is something I was not expecting and not worth the $80 bucks I spent on it.

There may be better replicas out on the market and that is why I tried to go with one because they are abused so often I was thinking I'd be saving some money. Just be aware the ones being sold from eBay seller autumnwish_autoart are awful and not worth the effort.

This is no means a jab at the seller. They were very fast with shipping and the transaction was flawless. This is only a informational update on the product they are selling.

So if anyone in VA wants one and willing to come to me to pick it up you can have it.
Old 04-23-16, 12:37 PM
firelizard

Received 422 Likes on 337 Posts

Got pics of the fit?
Old 04-23-16, 12:54 PM
ericherm1
Driver

Here are the pics of the badly molded lip. Now I've worked with urethane in the past as a body man and a heat gun will not fix this alone. The corners need to be heated enough to stretch the plastic to relieve the stress on the malformed middle section let alone roll the top part of the lip into the proper position.

I'm just going order a Greddy lip and be done with it. So much for trying to save a buck.

Old 04-23-16, 05:15 PM
dreamcar88
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I mean what do u expect for 80$ ?I bought one from ebay and I had to do everything you did and put some weather adhesive to get it on correctly. It fit like poop but i made it work.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-98-05-L...AAAOSwPc9Wws1n. I used bolts and screws and adhesive for mine. Had to cut a bunch of the sides to get it to fit.. Mine doesnt look as bad as your gap was but i taped it with masking tape after i heat molded it and used 3m weatherstripping..
Old 04-24-16, 08:19 PM
kowala
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used their FRP version before the polyurethane one came it and it fit perfect. I would think polyurethane would be even better. I'd have them send you another if possible or go through another vendor. Definitely seems like the packaging deformed it.
Old 04-25-16, 07:11 AM
ericherm1
Driver

Originally Posted by dreamcar88
I mean what do u expect for 80$ ?I bought one from ebay and I had to do everything you did and put some weather adhesive to get it on correctly. It fit like poop but i made it work.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-98-05-L...AAAOSwPc9Wws1n. I used bolts and screws and adhesive for mine. Had to cut a bunch of the sides to get it to fit.. Mine doesnt look as bad as your gap was but i taped it with masking tape after i heat molded it and used 3m weatherstripping..
Well I was expecting something I would only have to slightly modify or rework to fit correctly. They gap is so bad even heating it up is going to induce ripples in the plastic, which would require flexible filler a couple hours of massaging. I did plenty of research before buying and what I just stated was what I was expecting to do, not to the extent this one particular one requires.

I had fully planned on heating, bending, and using epoxy to add-hear it to bumper. What I'm see now is even with the softening of the plastic I would have to us a polyurethane staple gun to permanently attach the lip because the resistance of the bends seems to be enough to give epoxy a run for its money.

In the end I've chosen to scrap this lip and wait for a Greddy lip to become available or locate one for a non-exacerbated price. I have heard nothing but great things about the Greddy lips and the Greddy side skirts I had on my GTR and 240 all fit spot on with no modification or adjustments.

Besides it seems like everyone on here is running the TTE style lip. I have to admit it looks great but I tend to run in my own lane if you may.
Old 04-25-16, 07:12 AM
ericherm1
Driver

Originally Posted by kowala
I used their FRP version before the polyurethane one came it and it fit perfect. I would think polyurethane would be even better. I'd have them send you another if possible or go through another vendor. Definitely seems like the packaging deformed it.
I really thought about the FRP version but figured the polyurethane one would give more in the cases where the dips are unforgiving.

I thought about returning it to the vendor but it was off eBay and unfortunately I waited too long to install, past the 90 mark.
Old 04-25-16, 10:23 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

this thread makes me laugh.... you dont want crappy fitment then DONT BUY CRAPPY PARTS!!!! wait around for a real one to pop up
Old 04-25-16, 10:44 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

This is the one I bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/290940409215?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Didn't use the fasteners it came with. Used double sided tape, screws underneath and and on the side. Fitment was good.
Old 04-25-16, 06:29 PM
firelizard

Received 422 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
this thread makes me laugh.... you dont want crappy fitment then DONT BUY CRAPPY PARTS!!!! wait around for a real one to pop up
Plenty of really badly fitting "real" fiberglass parts too. I've seen a lot of very nicely fitted polyurethane replicas and ill fitting legit TTE lips.

Pros of poly would be that you can heat, flex, bend, and warp them into shape without cracking them (if you don't go crazy) and they will hold up to abuse a lot better, although the paint on it will spiderweb and flake off if it's flexed too much. Downside is that obviously quality control is pretty much nonexistent and your part may be complete garbage when you get it. eBay sellers usually have pretty good return/refund policies though, so there's that option sometimes.

Pros of fiberglass would be that you can properly fit it once and for all and get a very nice durable finish on it. Downside would be that it's not going to tolerate being run into curbs and speedbumps nearly as well as a poly lip.
Old 04-26-16, 06:46 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by firelizard
Plenty of really badly fitting "real" fiberglass parts too. I've seen a lot of very nicely fitted polyurethane replicas and ill fitting legit TTE lips.
i have NEVER seen a legit TTE lip that didnt fit properly, its very rare people even have to heat the lip up to mount it properly unless its a fake...
Old 04-26-16, 04:20 PM
mlracing
Intermediate

Yeah you can't really complain about copy parts lol
Old 04-26-16, 05:27 PM
kowala
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
i have NEVER seen a legit TTE lip that didnt fit properly, its very rare people even have to heat the lip up to mount it properly unless its a fake...
That may be the case in this specific replica, but you can't say every authentic aftermarket kit or lip for our cars fit properly. I have buddies that dropped 3-4k on kits and still have to get them trimmed/fitted to their cars. If the lip was still available and easy to source then yeah I could see spending the extra couple hundred, but it's discontinued so I don't blame people for picking up the rep.
Old 04-26-16, 05:57 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

That may be the case in this specific replica, but you can't say every authentic aftermarket kit or lip for our cars fit properly. I have buddies that dropped 3-4k on kits and still have to get them trimmed/fitted to their cars. If the lip was still available and easy to source then yeah I could see spending the extra couple hundred, but it's discontinued so I don't blame people for picking up the rep.
Exactly, When I had my SC I had an Authentic Auto Couture Kit fitment was great but not perfect, it needed work to fit. Sold it bought a T's Project Kit which was very rare fitment was 98% perfect the side skirts weren't perfect but you couldn't really tell. I wanted authentic TTE Lip but price for used ones not in great shape were double or triple the price of the new copy on eBay. I know many people here like authentic and hate reps but the part is discontinued and my GS is a weekend cruiser that sits outside of my garage. I'm working with a budget on my GS and majority of funds have gone to making sure maintenance is up to date. And I'm building a Hardtop Supra in the garage which takes priority with all authentic parts except the Whifbitz front lip which is a replica
Old 04-28-16, 09:42 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mlracing
Yeah you can't really complain about copy parts lol
exactly

i didnt say EVERY lip kit fits proeperly i said REAL TTE LIPS, so just one am i making a comparison to.... not comparing anything else. im not blaming them for picking up a rep (although i personally wont rock ANY replica parts), im saying DONT complain when a rep doesnt fit. spend the time/money to find a real one like a lot of us did. it took me like 4 years to find my L-tuned side skirts and L-sportline rear but you know what, worth every min & $

the lip is still available just a nightmare to get into the US nowadays

Quick Reply: WARNING for replica TTE Lips off eBay