GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

gs300 odometer rollback?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-16, 09:06 AM
nickynickt
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default gs300 odometer rollback?

Here's the car fax of the car. It currently says 83k . Did i jus get hustled?

Old 04-15-16, 10:58 AM
Bullitt180
Driver

Looks like a cluster swap maybe, if they sold you the car advertising the new cluster's mileage, then yeah you got hustled.
Old 04-15-16, 11:38 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Hmmm, possibly. But you should go back to dmv and have them look at the two previous titlings. And they will also internally investigate the possibility of odo fraud. And if you bought the car from a dealer dmv defiantly enforces that very seriously.
Old 04-15-16, 11:40 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

federal offense if they did not disclose TMU (true mileage unknown to you), they are legally obligated under federal law to provide you with a disclosure stating the true mileage is unknown or the odometer was altered, failure to do so makes the purchase contract void in all 50 states.

I would talk to the local PD.
Old 04-15-16, 12:17 PM
nickynickt
Rookie

Originally Posted by mjeds
federal offense if they did not disclose TMU (true mileage unknown to you), they are legally obligated under federal law to provide you with a disclosure stating the true mileage is unknown or the odometer was altered, failure to do so makes the purchase contract void in all 50 states.

I would talk to the local PD.

So basically your telling me i cant register this car at all !?
Old 04-15-16, 12:22 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nickynickt
So basically your telling me i cant register this car at all !?

no, you can go to the DMV, in CA if there isn't an odometer disclosure on file you can't register the car until there is, I don't know what NY law is.

if the dealer did not have you sign one, then they have to give you the option to do so and write a new contract including it (again my experience in CA),

since they failed to do so originally; legally you can return the car and get out of the contract.

need to speak to your DMV and your local PD

odometer laws fall under federal regulation and the feds nor the dmv play games with it, bottom line the dealership is liable, the must disclose TMU issues to the seller, just like they must disclose if the vehicle was a lemon law buy back or used as a rental, taxi, ambulance, or police vehicle during its history.

Last edited by mjeds; 04-15-16 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-15-16, 12:25 PM
nickynickt
Rookie

Originally Posted by mjeds
no, you can go to the DMV, in CA if there isn't an odometer disclosure on file you can't register the car until there is, I don't know what NY law is.

if the dealer did not have you sign one, then they have to give you the option to do so and write a new contract including it (again my experience in CA),

since they failed to do so originally; legally you can return the car and get out of the contract.

need to speak to your DMV and your local PD

odometer laws fall under federal regulation and the feds nor the dmv play games with it, bottom line the dealership is liable, the must disclose TMU issues to the seller, just like they must disclose if the vehicle was a used as a rental, taxi, ambulance, or police vehicle during it's history.

Well the thing is i bought the car off craigslist. The title has the guys name, adress and etc. so what do i do if its a private seller?
Old 04-15-16, 12:27 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Well the thing is i bought the car off craigslist. The title has the guys name, adress and etc. so what do i do if its a private seller?
still a federal offense to fail to disclose any odometer alteration, the seller is liable, it is a serious felony offense.

take it up with the PD and the DMV, bottom line.
Old 04-15-16, 07:36 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Almost bought a GS from a guy 3 weeks ago until the carfax showed this and more owners than disclosed...

Yeah I think u can legally get out of the deal...like others said it's a serious offense and against the law
Old 04-15-16, 07:54 PM
nickynickt
Rookie

Besides the odometer off. If the car is in good condition , what can be the negative factors to a odometer rollback? I mean after carefully examining it , i believe the car has approximately 120k miles
Old 04-15-16, 08:24 PM
Bullitt180
Driver

Besides the odometer off. If the car is in good condition , what can be the negative factors to a odometer rollback? I mean after carefully examining it , i believe the car has approximately 120k miles
Because mileage is basically the biggest factor determining the value of a used car.

So it may have had an effect on the purchase price and it will have an effect on any future selling price, and it will definitely have an effect on insurance payout if the car ever happens to be wrecked.
Old 04-15-16, 09:13 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I mean if the car's in such great condition, why not disclose everything? Know what I mean...now it leaves the door open to speculation for all kinds of hidden things that could be wrong that the seller didn't disclose.

The cluster just doesn't go bad on its own...what happened to the original one?

Chalk it up as a learning lesson, return the car of you can and look for one in better shape...even if you must pay a little more at least you'll have peace of mind...

Also get the carfax up front. A good seller will work with you and give you one for free before you look at their car.

I'm real picky...if a seller doesn't wanna consider that I usually walk...good luck bro and please keep us posted
Old 04-15-16, 09:55 PM
nickynickt
Rookie

True. . . What could be reasons to change a clustor besides to show less milage? Sorry this is my first car and im really having a headache already
Old 04-15-16, 11:53 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

True. . . What could be reasons to change a clustor besides to show less milage? Sorry this is my first car and im really having a headache already
Really the only reasons would be a physically broken cluster, a function(s) of the cluster not working, or to show less mileage.
Old 04-16-16, 12:24 AM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Contact the seller and show him the carfax, then I would ask him for some money back. If he says no then go to the local PD.

I had a friend that the same thing happened to and the seller gave him money back without much convincing

Quick Reply: gs300 odometer rollback?