GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Under what circumstances would you buy a Lexus with almost no service records?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-16, 10:43 AM
exxonham
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Under what circumstances would you buy a Lexus with almost no service records?

Hey guys, been a Lexus guy for close to ten years but I have been craving a GS 400 for sooo long, I currently have a Gs300, which is so great.

Anyway, I found a Spectra Mica Blue GS400 for sale for $5900, only 94k on it, one owner, it starts up great and drives good, but it is at a fly by night dealer, and I hate buying cars from dealers, No offense, haha I'm considering to be one myself,

I ran car fax and Auto check and it all checks out, passed emissions every year, It was owned by someone in Boca Roton Fla, I know the salty air could affect it in someway, just like a car from up north. But It was bought brand new, but only TWO oil changes on record and ONE brake job? Oh and Valve cover gasket replaced. Like WTF, if you have a warranty and buy it brand new, why wouldn't you take it to get serviced for free, or whatever they charge. Yes it could have been owned buy a mechanic that did all oil changes him self but I would have no idea, Before I do attempt to buy I'm going to take to my mechanic and have them at least check it out, I can do all the basic stuff but I want them to put it on a lift and check everything out. Also possibly a compression check, check the valve cover, and oil.

So my real question is should I stay away from It? I mean it almost sounds too good to be true, Also what else should I look for on these cars? The Timing belt hasn't been changed yet and I know that, and could do that myself. I just don't want to buy a car that has never really been serviced, but if it has it would be a steal. Well please yall let me know what you think
Old 04-08-16, 11:44 AM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I would have it checked by a trusted mechanic pronto. A spectra blue mica GS400 with under 100,000 for less than $6,000 won't be there for long. Like you said, maybe it was owned by a mechanic that did most of the maintenance themselves. It could be in great condition but the previous owner decided to sell it rather than have the 90k service done. Check the suspension/bushing components. Good luck, I hope it works out for you
Old 04-08-16, 11:57 AM
exxonham
Driver

Hey buddy thanks, thats what Im about to do, going to ask for another test drive and drive it right down to a good mechanic down the street. I love these cars and have been looking for one for so long. And your right they could have sold it bc they didnt want to do the 90k service. Which I can do, but I just want to make sure everything else checks out. they even have a 2002 IS sport cross, idk where they get these rare cars from. Anyway thanks and I will let you know what i find out
Old 04-08-16, 12:13 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

If it were me I would go out to http://drivers.lexus.com/ register for an account, and add the VIN of the vehicle. Then click on Service History. That will give you the history of when the car was serviced at any Lexus dealer. It's not everything, especially if the person mainly used an indy, but may give you additional info not included in the CarFax. It's highly unlikely a Lexus owner not going to the dealer at least a *few times* during the initial warranty period when most maintenance was covered. But it could happen.
Old 04-08-16, 01:47 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a GS400 Platinum edition back in the day. Its still my favorite Lexus.

I'd definitely get it checked out and put away a couple G's away for potentially deferred maintenance. Ball joints, Timing belt and WP for example.
Old 04-08-16, 02:33 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

exxonham,

I just read what you wrote about to buy or not this car? You make me to understand that you know enough of mechanics and cars. Carefully, inspect the vehicle yourself and your knowledge of yourself of mechanic to take the decision to buy or not. Because, if there's something inside of you that makes you feel unsafe to shopping or buy a car. Do not buy it. There is always something inside of you that makes you feel unsafe or rather sure to make a decision as well. Take me 10 months to find mine Boy and took me 3 hours to get him to just see it and then I saw him, something inside of me told me, this is it. This is your new Boy, purchase it. Without having turned ON the engine or give it a test drive. I drive it like 15 minutes I told the old lady, where is your bank to make the transfer. I enjoy my car all the time. Again, use your knowledge and senses to make the decision. Good luck.
Old 04-08-16, 02:48 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

i'd buy it if it checks out ok, take it to the lexus dealer for pbi, they would know what to look for if something needs attention. These sell for 5k with over 200k, the drive train on this cars are really unbreakable, heck you can run these 1 uz motors thru death valley at 150mph straight for 30 minutes on just one quart of synthetic oil, i kid you not.
Old 04-08-16, 02:59 PM
liazon
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

ya, check the vin number at that website....

just a reminder, if a dealer is selling it at 5900 he paid significantly less for it. most likely, something was wrong w/ it when he bought it for so little and he's 'fixed it up' to turn a profit. identifying what that 'something' was and if you can live w/ that would be a key to your decision.

I'd highly recommend having a body shop look at it. You can pretty much tell if it runs well on a good test drive. Body shop guys see the car in a way many of us can't.

gl,

Last edited by liazon; 04-08-16 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-08-16, 03:13 PM
bruceb58
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My GS has 185K on it, I am the original owner and did every service on it. The car may have been owned by someone like me but you will never know of course with this one.
Old 04-11-16, 07:32 AM
exxonham
Driver

Originally Posted by Mcon
exxonham,

I just read what you wrote about to buy or not this car? You make me to understand that you know enough of mechanics and cars. Carefully, inspect the vehicle yourself and your knowledge of yourself of mechanic to take the decision to buy or not. Because, if there's something inside of you that makes you feel unsafe to shopping or buy a car. Do not buy it. There is always something inside of you that makes you feel unsafe or rather sure to make a decision as well. Take me 10 months to find mine Boy and took me 3 hours to get him to just see it and then I saw him, something inside of me told me, this is it. This is your new Boy, purchase it. Without having turned ON the engine or give it a test drive. I drive it like 15 minutes I told the old lady, where is your bank to make the transfer. I enjoy my car all the time. Again, use your knowledge and senses to make the decision. Good luck.
Hey man, that makes me feel alot better, There is something inside me telling me something is messed up or wrong, I just can't quite figure it out. But the other part of me wants to bring it back to life, which would cost close to $1000. Like it kills me these great cars just get in such bad hands. There are not many left, but you are totally right, I already have a great gs300 and I knew then that that was a great car, took me 30 min to make an offer, and now has over 200k. Anyway thanks and I will just have to back away.
Old 04-11-16, 07:42 AM
exxonham
Driver

Originally Posted by kevin3344
If it were me I would go out to http://drivers.lexus.com/ register for an account, and add the VIN of the vehicle. Then click on Service History. That will give you the history of when the car was serviced at any Lexus dealer. It's not everything, especially if the person mainly used an indy, but may give you additional info not included in the CarFax. It's highly unlikely a Lexus owner not going to the dealer at least a *few times* during the initial warranty period when most maintenance was covered. But it could happen.
Hey Buddy, thanks so much, for some reason I did't even think to look on the Lexus website, But I looked and it did go to the dealer a few times, but I saw a bunch of weird things, So Im pretty sure I am going to pass, yall have all been great help thanks
Old 04-11-16, 07:53 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

mcon is right. when its the one, youll know. especially when buying old ones. go with your gut. it took me 6 months to find the right 1995 Ls400. one that wasn't beat to death, wasn't cared for, etc. when I got the one I have now, I bought it off one of those shady buy here joints, with only a 15 min test drive and no real inspection done, which was a majorly dumb thing to do, but as soon as I got behind the wheel, I got that "feeling".. when you just "know" its the one. spotty service records on it, but i could tell it was very well cared for it although it was at a shady place, I could tell it was a good car. well always trust your gut. 3 years later im still driving it. its never broke down on me or left me stranded. only part ive ever had to replace was the steering rack. aside from a chronic power steering leak that I just cant fix nomatter how many parts I replace, she has been 100% faithful and trustworthy. even other mechanics tell me how lucky ive been with it, using a 21 year old LS with almost 200k on it as my soul source of transportation for so many years without any major problems. btw, mine came from boca raton too!
Old 04-11-16, 07:55 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

You can also tell a lot about how someone takes care of their car from the interior as well. How are the leather seats, arm rest, floor mats? Mine has 217,000 miles and there are no rips or tears in the leather. When my arm rest was wearing out I purchased the leather on eBay and replaced it. Also, my floor mats (while not new) are in good condition. I'll probably replace them with new ones this summer.
Old 04-11-16, 09:39 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Only if I knew them personally and can vouch for the condition in person.

The other reason is if they were a good mechanic and kept the maintenance up themselves
Old 04-11-16, 01:12 PM
exxonham
Driver

Originally Posted by kevin3344
You can also tell a lot about how someone takes care of their car from the interior as well. How are the leather seats, arm rest, floor mats? Mine has 217,000 miles and there are no rips or tears in the leather. When my arm rest was wearing out I purchased the leather on eBay and replaced it. Also, my floor mats (while not new) are in good condition. I'll probably replace them with new ones this summer.
Thats the other thing, the leather is pretty terrible, feels like it sat in the sun forever, also the wood grain is completely faded, radio broken, like the damn thing only has 94k on it. Who S**ts on a car that bad. but like I mentioned I would love to bring it back, and I think I could, but it just takes time. It took me 6 months to get my Gs300, best car ive ever owned, thanks yall for all the advice

Quick Reply: Under what circumstances would you buy a Lexus with almost no service records?