GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

99 GS400 Potential Fuel Issue Need Help ASAP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-16, 09:31 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Exclamation 99 GS400 Potential Fuel Issue Need Help ASAP!!!!!

Just bought a 99 GS400 with 201k from Minnesota.

Previous owner maintained the car regularly and gave a small stack of records which I was very happy with.

Flew there Sunday to pick the car up and drive back to Chicago.
Everything looked good...had the car inspected at shop his family owned put the car on a lift and went over everything before finalizing the deal.

Car had full tank and we began our drive home.

Now the bad...the car bogged and then stopped on us going 75 mph on the freeway halfway between Minnesota and Chicago after driving 251 miles.

Pulled over safely and the car wouldn't start like it was out of gas but still showed just under 1/2 a tank

Tow truck driver shoes up...towes the car to nearest gas station and before we can fill up, the car cranks right back up again on his flatbed. ??? (puzzled the hell out of him too)

After driving for 3 hours, car breaking down and waiting 3 additional hours for AAA to send someone, and being towed 3 more hours just to get home, I never want my wife and I to be in this situation again.

Would love to get this sorted out Asap
What do you guys think it can be?

Has this happened to you and if so how did you fix the problem for good?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-05-16, 11:42 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 766 Likes on 669 Posts

It's most likely the fuel pump sender on the fuel pump assembly. It controls the gauge on the dash. Also there's one on the passenger side too. That one should control the jet pump to activate. Know this I replaced both on my car. I replaced both senders, new pump, new regulator, fuel filter. The gas gauge on the dash was fixed correct fuel readings. The issue was that even with all the new parts my car still wanted to die out on 1/4 mark. So I never let it go under 1/4 of a tank.

Maybe it's a flaw on the GS 98-05.
Old 04-05-16, 12:41 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tlts82
It's most likely the fuel pump sender on the fuel pump assembly. It controls the gauge on the dash. Also there's one on the passenger side too. That one should control the jet pump to activate. Know this I replaced both on my car. I replaced both senders, new pump, new regulator, fuel filter. The gas gauge on the dash was fixed correct fuel readings. The issue was that even with all the new parts my car still wanted to die out on 1/4 mark. So I never let it go under 1/4 of a tank.

Maybe it's a flaw on the GS 98-05.
Thanks tlts82!
That's a good point.... could there be an additional part requiring replacement for it to work 100% like before?

Is there a calibration process involved?
Is there a difference using OEM or aftermarket parts?

Sorry for all the questions.....
Old 04-05-16, 01:00 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 766 Likes on 669 Posts

I'm not sure about additional parts or calibration. I bought everything OEM from Sewell online when it was still open. I know there is a hose on the regulator that goes to the passenger side of the tank. I never really checked if was clogged or not. I think someone on another post said it had a check valve on it. I took it apart the fuel pump assembly twice to make sure all the o - rings and filter was on correctly. Checked the hose again but I couldn't see any check valve. I don't think it was clogged my gas tank was super clean. Like I said the sending unit on the pump assembly fixed my wrong gauge readings. Though I never let it run under a 1/4 tank. The car always seemed it was ready to stall out at 1/4 tank left. So I guess the jet return never pumped the fuel from passenger side to driver side.

If you pull the sender out on the pump assembly. You can test it with a OHM meter. I for get the readings though. I did this about 2 years ago. The lever all the way up gives you low readings and all the way down gives you high readings or the other way around. I'll try to look for the post again on this.

Last edited by MikeFig82; 04-05-16 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-05-16, 07:03 PM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Its happened to me a few times also. First time was when I had to change out my gas tank because it had a leak. After I put the renewed tank in, a couple of fill ups later I ran out of gas with the gauge showing a bit more than quarter tank full. Its happened couple of times after that also when the gauge still showed near quarter tank but the car still ran out of gas.

I now try fill up before hitting three quarter tank empty.
Old 04-08-16, 08:47 PM
burteboy
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My suggestions I would check my tank when I'm supposedly out of gas.. CONNECT A FUEL PRESSURE GUAGE AND CRANK THE VEHICLE AT THE SAMETIME CHECK IF POWER IS GOING TOTHE FUEL PUMP .if no reading and power is present at the pump the problem would be GUAGE or pump. Power could be good but pump inop.check amount of fuel present and pickup line for blockage. If everything checks out ok il check the circuit ending relay or the fuel pump ground.
Old 04-08-16, 08:48 PM
burteboy
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Supposed tobe circuit opening relay
Old 04-10-16, 07:32 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Thanks again guys!
Lots of great information on this thread.

Will keep you guys posted sometime later this week when I can address it
Old 04-15-16, 11:59 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

tiguy, any updates?
Old 04-15-16, 07:12 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Mcon gave some great advice in the other thread.
Got my hands on some BG 44K this week and am going to test that first before I open things up and do a manual clean as he suggested.

Have hear great stuff about this fuel cleaner.
It's supposed to chemically clean the sulfur deposits that accumulate on the fuel sending units and thoroughly clean the entire fuel system.

Will test this weekend and keep you guys posted!
Super excited
Old 04-15-16, 07:46 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tiguy99
Mcon gave some great advice in the other thread.
Got my hands on some BG 44K this week and am going to test that first before I open things up and do a manual clean as he suggested.

Have hear great stuff about this fuel cleaner.
It's supposed to chemically clean the sulfur deposits that accumulate on the fuel sending units and thoroughly clean the entire fuel system.

Will test this weekend and keep you guys posted!
Super excited
tiguy, Please do. I want to hear good news about this product from you.
Old 04-16-16, 12:57 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Here's some updates:

1. Put in the fuel cleaner..the car bogged a little bit as it started but it ran. Had some light white smoke from the tail pipe for about 10 seconds then it went away

2. Let the car run about 5 minutes for the cleaner to make its way through the entire fuel system.

3. Slowly drove the car to local gas station and filled up....pumped stopped at 11.94 gallons/$34.62 and would'nt pump more...perhaps I did have 3/8 tank as the meter showed but the gas itself was bad??? Still not sure about that one

4. Drove the car for first time on public roads and on the expressway. Drove the normal speed limit cruising around town and on the highway at this point.

5. Switched to manual mode and let er rip! Switched gears and drove a little spirited for a while. Did I say I LOVE Eshift? Faster shifts than my G35 manual mode and I can modulate the pedal to sound like a 6 speed when timed right!

6. After getting off the highway, I drove around a while then headed home...

This is what I observed

Name:  20160416_134619_zps9lh8znk7.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  186.6 KB

Note the improved gas mileage below...

Name:  20160416_134625_zpslmt0uobm.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  195.9 KB

at this point the needle was under the full mark 2 weeks ago during our road trip home and almost at 3/4 just after driving 26 miles on that trip

Only have driven 16 miles so far but I'm excited to see some gains from using the BG 44k fuel system cleaner in my GS400

Put some in the G35 as well today. Noticed similar improvements as well.

I'm hoping the cleaner fixes the fuel sending unit issues both cars seem to have.

Funny story...both cars have the same fuel issue...both were well maintained and are midwest cars...the G35 came from Columbus, Ohio & the GS400 from Minneapolis, MN.

Racked my brain for a couple days trying to figure out the issue since both previous owner's claimed to use nothing but premium gas synthetic oil etc...

Then I saw this article and said ah hah!!!
Check this out

http://articles.latimes.com/2006/may...tos/hy-wheels3

Something to think about

Last edited by tiguy99; 04-16-16 at 01:08 PM.
Old 04-16-16, 02:43 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

tiguy,

Good info. Thanks
Old 04-17-16, 06:12 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Ran both cars (G35 & GS400) again tonight to let the solution run through the fuel system some more.

Let both idle about 15 mins each....few revs to 3500 or so with both engines warmed up.

Both idled smooth...gas needles stayed above full...
Old 04-18-16, 08:58 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

tiguy, glad you got it sorted. Keep an eye on your fluids (esp. power steering) a friend of mine had a slow leak a while back which would foul his spark plugs and give him a "no start" condition sometimes. You mentioned you had some light white smoke on startup, too, so that sounds like something could be amiss. Just an fyi. At any rate, enjoy your GS

Quick Reply: 99 GS400 Potential Fuel Issue Need Help ASAP!!!!!