GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Sanity check: Trade '01 GS430 for '03.5 G35 sedan 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-03, 09:13 AM
Red Baron
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Of my few post here this is the 3 time on this subject.
I bought the G35 sedan auto with ALL the extras and body kit. Yes, it was rare here in Dallas and I got it back in November.
It was the 2003.5 model which had 130+ things changed and corrected or updated.
After 30 minutes of ownership returned the car to the dealer for full refund.
I did my homework believe me. I had been reading the forum on the G35.
One of the many complaints and 5 factory recalls(understandable, it is a new model) was the fan system routed the air from the outside through the engine with very little or no insulation. This would give you on a beautiful day of spring or fall Hot air into the cabin if you were runing just the fans, no A/C on.
Yes, in order to have a nice temp setting inside your car, you either roll your windows down or run the A/C ALL year round.
The other problems were: rattling from the Bose Syst. the doors also were poorly insulated, the front driver seat the bolts holding it down were not strong enough and the seat became loose. The A/C and radio computer are linked somehow and sometimes you could not get the A/c to work how you wanted or the radio would just go blank. The Infiniti Signature clock the light is SOOOOO dim you cant see it at night.
There was an gas line and transmission recall. The angle of the front windshield if the sun is right you can't read the digital info. The plastic panel scratched very easily. The seat controls are on your right thigh and digs into it too, very annoying after riding for a while. The leather is not rich and plush and the seats are not comfortable. On pumping gas some people reported it had to be done slowly because the pump was shutting down constantly, even after trying other pumps and pulling the nosle out a bit.
Yes, it looks nice, it has a powerfull engine, ride is very sporty, it is a new model, so it yet has to be proven.
I am not telling you not to buy it, but to borrow one for a day or 2. Read the forum and be willing to live with some of these problems.
I had no problems with the above but the A/C was a deal killer to me. I was told that on the 2003.5 model it was fixed. I bought it and it was not, so I returned it for a full refund.
I got the GS300 2003 after that and I have been very very happy.
Thank you Infiniti!!!!
I didn't know what a car ride and comfort was.
Moral, Buyer beware.
PS I do love the G35 coupe and would be willing to overlook the A/C problem but I have a family to haul. Solution to the problem get rid of the wife and kids. J/K

Last edited by Red Baron; 04-27-03 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-27-03, 09:19 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Red Baron
Of my few post here this is the 3 time on this subject.
I bought the G35 sedan auto with ALL the extras and body kit. Yes, it was rare here in Dallas and I got it back in November.
It was the 2003.5 model which had 130+ things changed and corrected or updated.
After 30 minutes of ownership returned the car to the dealer for full refund.
Moral, Buyer beware.
Great info, Red Baron. Thanks much for going into such detail on your experience!
Old 04-27-03, 10:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally posted by SCWells72
For those of you citing the GS4's V8 as a major advantage over the G35's V6, I said the same thing until I drove the six-speed manual version of the G35 (I'd driven the manumatic version of that car previously and found it lackluster). The manual tranny really lets you put the power to the ground in an amazing fashion. The first dozen or so times I launched the car I broken the wheels loose on the first two or three shifts. Once I got used to the clutch my butt-o-meter told me that the car was at least as fast as my GS430 and felt much more connected. Recent timeslips over at g35driver.com and FreshAlloy show 0-60 times in the 5.5-5.8 range for proper launches of the car. Its engine has a really nice exhaust note as well--definitely different from the exhaust note of my L-Tuned exhaust/V8--but very, VERY nice.
I drove a 6spd G35 coupe and it's fast, but doesn't have the low end torque of the GS V8.
Old 04-27-03, 11:35 AM
darkhorse
Driver School Candidate

Default your call of course

Hey just getting in on this thread, thought I'd chip my 2 cents and all that. ANd I know I'll be repeating some sentiments but it's yet another opinion you simply have to wade through. ALso, I know you probably know a lot of these points yourself but doesn't hurt to read them for the millionth time.........

1) If you must have a stick then you can't drive a GS. The e-shift just won't cut it for you.
2) You have an 01 GS, you've already taken a big new car depreciation hit on that, you're basically lining up for another huge depreciation hit when you take delivery of the new Infiniti. In dollar terms you will be losing a good $20k between the both cars. A lot of money. If you buy a new car, the best way to avoid the depreciation bug is to keep it for a loooong time (10 yrs). At least keep it for 7. Of course if you have a business to write it off against that mitigates your risk a bit.
3) I have had Nissans in the past and although they're not Infinitis (Max's) they have more problems than my Lexus in my experience. And not just normal wear and tear. We're talking exhaust (from front to back), earlier corrosion, fit and finish esp in late 90's and early 00's models, premature clutch wear (no I don't drag on it), CV joints, etc etc.
4) Try to find older Infinitis, you don't see too many of 'em on the road. That's usually because they cost a LOT to maintain. The J30, Q45, etc etc. Plus their value drops like a rock every year, not just in the first couple of years. You see the odd G20 but those are traditional Jap 4 bangers and can run forever given the right maintenance.
5) The advantages your Lexus has for you (forgetting money) IMHO are luxury, prestige, looks, higher quality vehicle, bulletproof engine that will last forever given the right maintenance.
6) The G35 in exchange for all this gives you the stick and the connected feeling you describe.

Just a matter of priorities, if the feel of the G35 drive is that much better for you personally, then it's a no-brainer, you go for it and make the change. If any of the above carries any weight past this level, then you should probably not make the change.

My opinion: right now I wouldn't buy into the Infiniti line. Not satisfied with past experience with Nissan and am not convinced they will be making it into the top tier with MB, BMW, and Lexus anytime soon. BTW, I don't consider Audi to be there either.

Paul

99 GS400 BLACK ON BLACK
Old 04-27-03, 11:18 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

In addition to the G35 sedan 6MT, I've also been thinking about a slightly used (2001-2002) A6 2.7T 6MT with sport package. Unfortunately that car falls short in a few key areas, mainly Audi of America's bad reputation, the lack of a decent nav system, and the fact that I'm not sold on the dumpy rear end of the car. However, properly chipped that car is a beast with a great tranny, AWD, gobs of torque, and a very nice interior.

You could always wait for the Audi S4. It has 340 hp, 40 valve, V8, and can be had with a six speed manual or auto. It might be worth waiting for(maybe, second year to work out the bugs). How did the 540I with a six speed fair in your comparison? They seem to be discounting those quite a bit in anticipation of the E60 coming out.
Old 04-28-03, 12:55 AM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

Go get the real deal: BMW

I don't regret leaving the GS and going german...don't get me wrong, i like the GS but the car lacks road feel, soul, and feedback to the driver, which are the 3 things I really concern about.

As for the G35, it's the closest thing to a BMW from Japan...however, it's still missing the solid feel and the unique driving experience from BMW

I will wait and see for the new GS and i hope that it will become close or on par to the 5 series
Old 04-28-03, 11:23 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

The new S4 has crossed my mind. I have a buddy who's waiting for pricing to put a deposit on one now. My main issues with it are its smaller size (than the GS or G35) and its price.

One of the attractive things about the G35 is that it's very close to a straight trade from my used GS, whereas I'd have to pony up some serious additional $$ for the S4 or even a used 540i 6MT.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of BMW. My wife has a Z3 which we've enjoyed, but honestly the BMW interiors and service experience are not my favorites.

That's the main reason that a new G35 6MT and a slightly used A6 2.7T 6MT are in consideration...I can get into them with virtually no extra investment. Well, that's partially true...I'm actually having more and more of a problem with the immediate depreciation that the G35 would take the minute I sign the dotted line. In fact, that's very close to being a deal killer for me right now.

Anyway, thanks again for the feedback. Just to let know you guys know, I'm waffling back toward my GS for now based on having a few more days to think about it. I'm still not set either way, though...
Old 04-28-03, 12:07 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

I agree about the bmw service. Their interiors are questionable as well but at least they have sport seats. And the 5 looks very agressive at night with the angel eye headlights. It is factory limited to 131 mph but dinan software can take care of that. And you won't have to modify it very much at all to obtain crisp handling.

As you pointed out, the G35 will take a depreciation hit once you leave the dealer. You have already taken the hit on the GS. But look on the bright side, you'll have a new car. I was looking edmunds last night and they have a total cost of ownership calculator. It's an estimate at best and it showed that the GS line had low depreciation while the G35 and the BMW had average depreciation. Operatiing costs were low for the bmw, most likely due to the free maintanance. I didn't check the Audi but from the ads I've seen they look like they depreciate quite a bit as well.

How long do you plan on keeping your current or potential replacement car? That is important financial factor to consider. Maybe, you could lease the G35 and if the residual is low you could be ahead at the end of the term.
Old 04-28-03, 02:22 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Originally posted by meanboy
I agree about the bmw service. Their interiors are questionable as well but at least they have sport seats. And the 5 looks very agressive at night with the angel eye headlights. It is factory limited to 131 mph but dinan software can take care of that. And you won't have to modify it very much at all to obtain crisp handling.
I love the exterior of the 5-series, especially the more recent models with the refreshed exterior like the angel eyes. I just don't like the interior and I REALLY don't want to have to deal with BMW USA any more than I have to. And I don't find myself in the 130mph range often enough to care about the limiter, honestly!

I didn't check the Audi but from the ads I've seen they look like they depreciate quite a bit as well.
Audi should be maintenance-inclusive as well, but like I've said, I've heard that Audi of America isn't the best when it comes to service either. The Audi dealer is Austin is also the Porsche and Volvo dealer, so perhaps it's a little better here. I'd have to ask some of my friends with Audis.

How long do you plan on keeping your current or potential replacement car?
You know...that's a question I'm afraid to answer anymore. When I got my 2000 TL I said, "I'm gonna keep this for a loooooonnnnnng time." Then I became frustrated with its performance, handling, and quality of interior materials and traded up for the GS430 after only one year of ownership. Again, I said I'd keep the GS until I left warranty and then I'd probably just go even crazier with warranty-voiding mods. At least this time I've lasted three years!

And even today I'm still entranced with almost every aspect of the GS430! However, like I said, I'm wanting a more interactive driving experience than the GS offers now. But after a few days of chewing on ideas I've decided that I'm not so jonesing for it that I'm willing to throw away serious $$$ through a major depreciation. That still leaves the Audi as a possibility, but not a strong one. The G35 has an attractive exterior and some great technology inside (e.g., the DVD nav system) going for it, but the Audi falls short in a few other areas as noted above.

Like I said, we'll see. I'm not a snap decision guy and was looking for some external perspectives while I think aloud. Luckily ClubLexus is one of the forums where you can actually ask the question I asked and get mature, intelligent responses, something I also greatly appreciate about my GS.
Old 04-28-03, 02:33 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before you make any decisions I think you need to check out the G35's lack of quality control (compared to your GS4). It's not going to be nearly as apparent when you look at the brand new G35... most new cars seem perfect. What I'd recommend doing is finding somebody or a dealer with a G35 for sale... find one that has a good number of miles on that... preferably at least as many miles as your GS4 has. Then see what your car is going to be like. Comparing your car now to a brand new G35 is not an even comparison in terms of smoothness and quality. Remember, everything on that G35 is BRAND NEW. Whereas everything on your GS4 is pretty well worn in. That G35 has quite a bit of depreciation and loosening up to do, your GS4 has already been through most of it.
Old 04-28-03, 02:38 PM
JacobT

Scott,

It's good to hear that you decided to stay in the Lexus family. I have tried G35 myself but Gs4 just feels more luxary and refined especially the v8 power. If you are looking for more driver interacts, 01-02 M5 is a good competitor
Old 04-28-03, 02:50 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Originally posted by JacobT
Scott,

It's good to hear that you decided to stay in the Lexus family. I have tried G35 myself but Gs4 just feels more luxary and refined especially the v8 power. If you are looking for more driver interacts, 01-02 M5 is a good competitor
Now there's someone I haven't heard from in a while!!! Good to hear from you, Jacob...wasn't sure you were around here anymore...

No kidding an '01-'02 M5 is a "good competitor!" But even used there's a HUGE price difference! My wife and I just bought and furnished a beautiful new house, so there's not a massive amount of discretionary income to throw at something like an M5. And I always come back to the interior. A few years ago when I bought my GS, I had just passed on an '01 M5 at John Roberts when mine came up on the list because a) I didn't want a manual at the time (how things change!), and b) I really couldn't see myself looking at the interior of that car day in, day out.
Old 04-28-03, 03:19 PM
JacobT

Scott,

You're right. I alomost jumped the boad to the dark side for a 01 M5 with 20" BBS rim. But the price gap was just too big for me in such bad economy situation.
Old 04-28-03, 03:54 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

SCWells72, Do it! Get the G35. You will love it.

You obviously want to "drive" the car. The GS is a cruiser; the G35 MT is a driver’s car. I strongly considered a G35 prior to getting my GS430. Although they have like a $20K sticker difference, the GS430 was only leasing out for an extra $140 a month. Figured it was worth the money. If I had to purchase the car, I would have gone with the G35 however.

The MT was not out but I thought the G35 AT flew. I am positive the 6-speed will spank a GS off the line (the GS430 may have torque but it sure is hard to find from a stop). I think this is why it feels faster. From 30 on, it is probably another story.

I agree that the interior was what bothered me most. Infiniti/Nissan uses that same damn gauge cluster in all of their cars these days - including the Altima. I don't think it looks better than the BMW however, nor do I think the rear seat leg room compares to the GS. I also liked the look of the non-sport interior better than the sport - but as you pointed out, that's what the aftermarket is for.

No clue why people on this board are pointing to reliability issues with the G35. Sure it is a new car, but it is a Nissan and they tend to be very reliable and the Infiniti service is always one of the top rated as well.

Go get your new car. And let us know what you think in a month or two.

Doug

PS - the Audi 2.7T would be cool - can be chipped for some serious HP. However, I hear the trans is very notchy.

PPS - I wish they still made that dark blue exterior - I have to admit the Infiniti paint choices are lame.

PPPS - speaking of color - which one are you leaning towards?
Old 04-28-03, 04:37 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

I love the exterior of the 5-series, especially the more recent models with the refreshed exterior like the angel eyes. I just don't like the interior and I REALLY don't want to have to deal with BMW USA any more than I have to. And I don't find myself in the 130mph range often enough to care about the limiter, honestly!
How about buying a mini cooper S and keeping the GS? It's not that fast as the cars your'e interested in but it will outhandle all of them. The mini was rated as having the highest residual value.

Quick Reply: Sanity check: Trade '01 GS430 for '03.5 G35 sedan 6MT