GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Crank Shaft Pulley Wobble HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-16, 05:42 AM
STREETGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Crank Shaft Pulley Wobble HELP!!!

i was getting a loud squeaking noise
i noticed that the crank shaft pulley was wobbling a lot.
is it safe to say that the crank shaft pulley needs to be replaced?
if so how difficult is it to replace? i saw a youtube video and looks straight forward.
any tips as to replacing it? how much $$ will i be spending?
Old 04-05-16, 07:19 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Sure its possible that its the harmonic balancer. You might want to remove the belt and see if you can move/wobble it by hand, if it doesnt, start the car and see if it still wobbles (again with the belt off) this will narrow it down 100% that its the balancer or if you need to look at another pulley. As for replacing difficulty, it all depends on how effin tight that bolt is on there Yea, its a pretty cut and dry install once you get that bolt off. As for part cost, well, depends on what you want to buy. I've seen them as low as $35 shipped.
Old 04-05-16, 08:14 AM
STREETGS
Pole Position

kool thanks for the reply, are the pulley and harmonic balancer sold as one peice?
Old 04-05-16, 09:55 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

The harmonic balancer is the "crank pulley". There are many names for it, but in all the same, its a harmonic balancer
Old 04-05-16, 12:34 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by STREETGS
kool thanks for the reply, are the pulley and harmonic balancer sold as one peice?
It is an assembly bonded together with rubber. It is common that it will crack/dryrot and loose its true and you can get vibrations, or worst case it can separate and you will have a major issue.

If you have another car it's best to not drive it if you don't have to until you can replace it.
Old 04-06-16, 06:09 AM
STREETGS
Pole Position

here is a quick video, when i start up the car u can easily see it wobble
Old 04-06-16, 03:38 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Take the belt off and move it by hand!

Honestly, it could be a loose crank bolt too.
Old 04-08-16, 09:19 AM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

OP make sure the belt is properly tightened and a true OEM belt. I fought with this issue for 2 months! I had my alternator replaced and the indy used a "toyota approved" belt but not the OEM from the dealer. Finally after going back and forth took it to the dealer and it was a simple fix.

Keep in mind if you haven't had any work done recently which required a new belt and it just started squeaking it's probably related to the crank bolt.
Old 04-08-16, 09:24 AM
STREETGS
Pole Position

thanks for the feedback.
i purchased used harmonic balancer i will be installing this weekend.
i will keep u guys updated on the result
Old 04-08-16, 11:01 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The crank pulley bolt should be tightened to 243 ft lbs. This usually calls for a long breaker bar.
Attached Thumbnails Crank Shaft Pulley Wobble HELP!!!-bolt.jpg  
Old 04-08-16, 11:56 AM
Advil4u
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i had a issue with my balencer as well got a new one with a belt and tensioner bearing as well 1 month later my new tensioner split took it back and they replaced it as faulty part and gave me a new one so i installed it and 2weeks later im exiting the freeway and i hear a clunk under the car i look back and its the pully part of the balancer rolling away and my battery light on so went back to auto parts when another employee was working and i told him it was faulty and he gave me a new one this time i installed with my old worn belt and this time it hasnt separated its been about 3yr now. just tought this little story would help someone so if you replaced your belt be sure its not to tight otherwise it will strain the balancer
Old 04-08-16, 11:59 AM
Advil4u
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Old 04-08-16, 08:12 PM
burteboy
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You most likely need the keys for thr pulley. Keep your fingers crossed the crankshaft could also be damage. Wobbling means it not fitting snug in the key , maybe loose bolt. Il get the keys and stop driving until it's properly diagnose.
Old 04-09-16, 01:31 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by STREETGS
here is a quick video, when i start up the car u can easily see it wobble
Gs 300 harmonic balancer Wobble - YouTube
Originally Posted by burteboy
You most likely need the keys for thr pulley. Keep your fingers crossed the crankshaft could also be damage. Wobbling means it not fitting snug in the key , maybe loose bolt. Il get the keys and stop driving until it's properly diagnose.

Luckily, it seems that the crank probably isn't bent. Since it wobbles so extremly on the crank in that vid but settles in to do to less wobbling once running. And if the crank was 'that' bent the engine would already be ****ed and the front main seal would also be leaking.

It looks like the rubber bond is cracking as normal like the 2jz pulley does with age, and the torque from the starter getting the engine to initially turn over makes it wobble out so far from center. Then once it's free spinning there is less torque and it settles in to a small wobble.

The inner/outer are only held together by rubber. And the worn rubber is why the pulley can wobble so extreme and then so minimal. Bent metal parts would wobble the same amount.

Still a possibility of crank damage even if it isn't visible, which is why I suggested to not drive it until fixed my first post. Once the new pulley is on do an oil change and keep a very good ear out for how the engine sounds for the next couple hundred miles.
Old 04-09-16, 04:02 PM
justim
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

worst case it can separate and you will have a major issue.
this happened to me. Harmonic balancer "snapped" they said. The part cost $400 and it was only 1hr labour at they toyota dealership

Quick Reply: Crank Shaft Pulley Wobble HELP!!!