GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Helicopter sound: yet another vibration question

Old 04-03-16, 11:02 PM
Brahms
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helicopter sound: yet another vibration question

Apologies in advance as I know these sorts of questions have been asked frequently. I have searched extensively and read all the other threads but I didn't see the answer to my question.

I noticed, yesterday, a sound coming from the front driver side wheel. It isn't very loud, and I have to pay a little attention to notice it. Basically, it is a vibration that sounds like a helicopter rotor: the faster I go, the faster the chopping sound. As I slow down, it slows down.

My questions:
1. From what I've read, this is presumably a wheel balance issue or a bearing issue. Does anyone have experience with this? Is it obviously one or the other?
2. How urgently do I need to have this looked at? I have an oil change due in about 500 miles; can this wait until then?

Any advice would be appreciated.
2001 GS430 153K
Old 04-04-16, 12:02 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

If there is a vibration I have probably had it lol. Things I've done is had my rotors turned, calipers lubricated, tires balanced. Even had to have one of my rims straightened out at one point (I have the 17" rim option). Mostly though it was my rotors. I've had them turned and replaced a lot over the years.
Old 04-04-16, 12:13 PM
Brahms
Rookie

Hmm, thanks for the advice. I will look into it. I assume this can wait until my next oil change, which is due in 500 miles. (And if not, I guess my car will explode.)
Old 04-04-16, 01:28 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

kevin3344
Mostly though it was my rotors. I've had them turned and replaced a lot over the years.

I agree with that. It is almost 100% that are your rotors. That with cool temperature and you stop your car to much in traffic, the rotors are heated and again with cold temperature or raining, the rotors are folded with different changes they undergo when heated. Then they make that kind of sound passing through the brake pads. They can also, be your brake pad that are worn or low quality?

When was the last time that you changed your brake pads?
Old 04-04-16, 02:20 PM
Brahms
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mcon
kevin3344
Mostly though it was my rotors. I've had them turned and replaced a lot over the years.

I agree with that. It is almost 100% that are your rotors. That with cool temperature and you stop your car to much in traffic, the rotors are heated and again with cold temperature or raining, the rotors are folded with different changes they undergo when heated. Then they make that kind of sound passing through the brake pads. They can also, be your brake pad that are worn or low quality?

When was the last time that you changed your brake pads?
Thanks for the feedback.
Brake pads still have some life left, but rotors are reasonably old.

Presuming that either or both are the cause, can this issue wait until my next oil change to fix?

Last edited by Brahms; 04-04-16 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-04-16, 02:37 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE=Brahms;9434189]Thanks for the feedback.
Brake pads still have some life left, but rotors are reasonably old.

Presuming that either or both are the cause, can this issue wait until my next oil change to fix?

Yesssss. But is better safe that later say sorry. Just driving your car nice a easy.

And chance both, Rotors and Pads. If you can. LOL
Old 04-04-16, 07:05 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 263 Likes on 226 Posts

Run your hand across your tire and see if the tread feels uneven. Your tires are probably cupping. (will feel lumpy). That would cause a vibration and road noise. If that is the problem that's where the fun begins. Could be anything from out of balance tires to worn or damaged suspension components. If this is the case it will probably be best to get some advice from an alignment shop.
Old 04-04-16, 07:19 PM
Brahms
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexo98
Run your hand across your tire and see if the tread feels uneven. Your tires are probably cupping. (will feel lumpy). That would cause a vibration and road noise. If that is the problem that's where the fun begins. Could be anything from out of balance tires to worn or damaged suspension components. If this is the case it will probably be best to get some advice from an alignment shop.
Thanks. I will run my hand over the tire. I checked the tread visually earlier, which I now realize means precisely nothing.

Re alignment: I had OEM-style caster arm bushings installed at Exact Motorsports just a couple months ago, and they had the alignment done right afterward.

Although, now that you mention it, there may be tire issues. I noticed the tire was running at low pressure (ie, mid 20s PSI) for a while--this may have damaged the tire, I'm thinking?
Old 04-04-16, 09:02 PM
Brahms
Rookie

OK, some recent developments. Please chime in with any feedback. Many thanks.

1. I felt the tire with my hand. It feels fine.
2. I checked the tire pressure cold. It was 26.5 PSI. This is the second time in the last couple months that this tire has lost pressure quickly. I topped it up to ~33 *about a week ago.*
3. Restoring the tire pressure does not make the sound go away, but it does make it less loud.
Old 04-05-16, 07:31 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Remove the tire and check for abnormalities. Running your hand isnt a very efficient way to check it. Check for warps in the side wall, busted beads. Look for bubbles on the inside side wall (probably something there), check for something stuck in the tire. Also, did you hit a pothole recently? Check your wheel for for any dents. Lastly, swap the 2 front wheels and see if the sound moves to the other side...

As I always say though, a sound clip or video is really the only way to diagnose a problem. I could probably name a million things that makes a "helicopter sound", but the actual sound itself differs with each problem.

If its a rotor problem, stepping on the brakes while its making the sound should make it go away since the caliper is grabbing hold of them.

Are you getting vibrations/wobble in your steering wheel? This would pinpoint to a wheel bearing, but thats an easy check; just lift the car and see if you can make the wheel wobble by hand. If theres no wobble in your steering wheel, its most likely not a suspension/steering component.
Old 04-05-16, 10:08 AM
Bullitt180
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it anything like this?

http://s37.photobucket.com/user/Bull...031E9.mp4.html

I used to think it was the shape of my wheels "cutting" the air, then I put it up on jack stands and took the wheels off and it still makes the sound. I then put those brakes and wheels on my new car after that one got totaled and I still get the sound so I'm thinking brake related.

Last edited by Bullitt180; 04-05-16 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-05-16, 11:06 AM
Brahms
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Remove the tire and check for abnormalities. Running your hand isnt a very efficient way to check it. Check for warps in the side wall, busted beads. Look for bubbles on the inside side wall (probably something there), check for something stuck in the tire. Also, did you hit a pothole recently? Check your wheel for for any dents. Lastly, swap the 2 front wheels and see if the sound moves to the other side...

As I always say though, a sound clip or video is really the only way to diagnose a problem. I could probably name a million things that makes a "helicopter sound", but the actual sound itself differs with each problem.

If its a rotor problem, stepping on the brakes while its making the sound should make it go away since the caliper is grabbing hold of them.

Are you getting vibrations/wobble in your steering wheel? This would pinpoint to a wheel bearing, but thats an easy check; just lift the car and see if you can make the wheel wobble by hand. If theres no wobble in your steering wheel, its most likely not a suspension/steering component.
Thanks. Some answers:
-I tried taking a video but one cannot really hear the vibration over the sound of the road. You have to be driving to 'feel' it.
-I do not feel anything untoward in the steering wheel.
-Stepping on the brakes has no effect on the sound, except that it slows the frequency of the helicopter chopping sound--but then, this is presumably because the wheel rotation is slowing.
-Don't recall hitting any serious potholes recently. The obvious correlation that springs to mind is that I noticed the tire pressure was low, and the sound (may have) started happening after I restored the PSI to 33.

Let me see about getting a look at the inner sidewall.
Old 04-05-16, 11:22 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Do you notice the sound getting louder while turning left or right? Find a place you can safely do a somewhat speeded turn, like maybe 20mph and see if the sound gets stronger/louder. That would indicate a bubble in the tire somewhere (even check the tread for a hidden bubble).

The correlation can give some insight to the problem. Before all the tire checking, I'd probably switch the 2 front tires first and see if the sound moves to the other side, if not, then you can rule out the tire.

Process of elimination, you'll find it eventually
Old 04-05-16, 07:54 PM
Brahms
Rookie

TL,DR: I am an idiot.

Got the car up to check it out underneath and it didn't take long to find a small, black screw (and washer) stuck in the tire, near the inner sidewall. Got the tire patched. Sound has gone away.
Old 04-05-16, 08:08 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Well, is better that you found the sound and cost you a few $$ that somethings bigger and expensive. LOL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Helicopter sound: yet another vibration question