GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

aftermarket knock sensor problems, + intake manifold cleaning

Old 03-29-16, 03:29 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default aftermarket knock sensor problems, + intake manifold cleaning

Hate to add another thread of car problems. Was in a rush this weekend and needed to get the car running. Ran to my local oriellys and got 2 knock sensors since i was running on the knock sensor hack for almost 2 years. My other knock sensor i guess crapped out finally and got both knock sensor codes. Took off the intake manifold and replaced the sensors and i got the check engine light again, i also got a an 02/cat code along with the knock sensor codes.

Any idea why i would get an 02 code the exact same time the knock sensor code pulls up? Or would that be a coincidence? I just read after the knock sensor code came up that our cars dont do well with aftermarket sensors in general, u think thats my problem? Has anyone changed any of the knock sensors out with aftermarket with success? I am only getting the code for 1 bank. I need to get this resolved cause i am drivong around with a obd2 scanner to clear the codes whenever i get the check engine light

The one other thing i noticed that really bothers me is that the inside of intake manifold looks like it is sludged up with oil. It is completely black... Could i use throtte/carb cleaner to clean it and run it on some seafoam to get more inside near the cylinders? Hard to see in the pic but if you look closesly it is black

Name:  6478C1FB-7DAB-4EE8-A298-164679E63B5F_zpsi7yluq1p.jpg
Views: 4880
Size:  266.3 KB
Old 03-29-16, 05:05 PM
Jackie939
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gsean400
Hate to add another thread of car problems. Was in a rush this weekend and needed to get the car running. Ran to my local oriellys and got 2 knock sensors since i was running on the knock sensor hack for almost 2 years. My other knock sensor i guess crapped out finally and got both knock sensor codes. Took off the intake manifold and replaced the sensors and i got the check engine light again, i also got a an 02/cat code along with the knock sensor codes.

Any idea why i would get an 02 code the exact same time the knock sensor code pulls up? Or would that be a coincidence? I just read after the knock sensor code came up that our cars dont do well with aftermarket sensors in general, u think thats my problem? Has anyone changed any of the knock sensors out with aftermarket with success? I am only getting the code for 1 bank. I need to get this resolved cause i am drivong around with a obd2 scanner to clear the codes whenever i get the check engine light

The one other thing i noticed that really bothers me is that the inside of intake manifold looks like it is sludged up with oil. It is completely black... Could i use throtte/carb cleaner to clean it and run it on some seafoam to get more inside near the cylinders? Hard to see in the pic but if you look closesly it is black
Any knock sensor will not work, do you have a pic of the Sensors? Make?
Whats the knock sensor hack? Dont tell me you bypassed the knock... 2 years? Really man? are people really treating these cars like ghetto trash? SIghhhh

Yes, you can use carb cleaner to clean the Mani. Whats all the Crazy Audio Cable wires running to your engine? Dont tell me its BIG 3? I wouldnt be surprise if your having Parasitic Draw or electrical/charging issues.. Lol

Rock auto has some good aftermarket knocks that will work if you cant afford OEM.
Old 03-29-16, 08:10 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jackie939
Any knock sensor will not work, do you have a pic of the Sensors? Make?
Whats the knock sensor hack? Dont tell me you bypassed the knock... 2 years? Really man? are people really treating these cars like ghetto trash? SIghhhh

Yes, you can use carb cleaner to clean the Mani. Whats all the Crazy Audio Cable wires running to your engine? Dont tell me its BIG 3? I wouldnt be surprise if your having Parasitic Draw or electrical/charging issues.. Lol

Rock auto has some good aftermarket knocks that will work if you cant afford OEM.
i dont have pictures of the sensors i will have to check when i get home and i can post up pictures, but if i had to guess it would be import direct since that is whats showing up on the oriellys website. Yes i will admit, i did the bypass and i completely forgot about it, however i dont daily the car as much and has been sitting in the garage for a while. And yes that is my big 3. Also Can you point out your reason for thinking that i am having a parasitic draw? Cause i dont seem to have any charging or electrical issues.
Old 03-29-16, 08:22 PM
Bullitt180
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take this thread for a test drive...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...and-p0330.html

Cliff notes: get OEM sensors, I learned the hard (expensive) way....

What year and model do you have, I'll check with my source, got my OEM Denso sensors for $100 each.

Last edited by Bullitt180; 03-29-16 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-29-16, 08:39 PM
gsean400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bullitt180
Take this thread for a test drive...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...and-p0330.html

Cliff notes: get OEM sensors, I learned the hard (expensive) way....

What year and model do you have, I'll check with my source, got my OEM Denso sensors for $100 each.
Hmm, i must have missed that thread.... Looks like im going to have to rip off the manifold again

that would be greatly appreciated sir! I have a 2001 gs430
Old 03-30-16, 08:34 AM
Jackie939
Driver School Candidate

It simple..

Go to your local Toyota/Lexus dealer give them the Part# and get your 2 new Knocks. You may try an AUTHORIZED online dealer like
http://www.lexuspartsnow.com
http://www.toyotapartsdeal.com

Other than that.. Have fun trying to figure out authenticity of the Number of Fake sensors that have FLOODED the market due to people trying to Ghetto rig their cars.. Supply and Demand
Old 03-31-16, 06:26 PM
burteboy
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Knock sensor , did you change the knock sensor wire ,the pig tail? Most likely thats your problem and not the knock sensors. I would do much cleaning of the intake system on the vehicle. Remov it completely. Do not clean your cylinders. Change the wires and reinstall your knock sensors. Note do not over torque the then they will be bad.
Old 03-31-16, 06:46 PM
Bullitt180
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by burteboy
Knock sensor , did you change the knock sensor wire ,the pig tail? Most likely thats your problem and not the knock sensors. I would do much cleaning of the intake system on the vehicle. Remov it completely. Do not clean your cylinders. Change the wires and reinstall your knock sensors. Note do not over torque the then they will be bad.
2GS doesn't have a separate harness to replace for the knock sensors.

Just check the wires. I didn't see any damage to my wires but I completely wrapped them with electrical tape anyway. Also just make sure the connectors fit snug. I would say the problem is definitely the aftermarket sensors. Just get the ones from the link I gave you and you will be fine.
Old 03-31-16, 06:52 PM
burteboy
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You wouldnt see the damage, is wire hard or brittle? You should have not wrap it either. Those wires are sheilded and once you wrap it and its hard or brittle the insulation would crack up and would loose the signal to the computer. You could get the wire separately.its the same as the toyota sequoia.
Old 05-20-18, 09:33 PM
bigAL98ES
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Knock sensor fix the right way for ls430 v8

[QUOTE=burteboy;9429584]You wouldnt see the damage, is wire hard or brittle? You should have not wrap it either. Those wires are sheilded and once you wrap it and its hard or brittle the insulation would crack up and would loose the signal to the computer. You could get the wire separately.its the same as the toyota sequoia.[/QUOTE.

I just did a LS 430 and here is what my symptoms were. Check engine light for bank one knock sensor 325. I use to work for Lexus and have done them before. Most the time it’s your pig tail wire that connects to your knock sensor.

Bad o ring

Bad o ring on fuel injector

Where knock sensor location

10 bolts hold on the lower intake

New pigtails with new sensors

After I took off throttle body
Old 05-20-18, 09:44 PM
bigAL98ES
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You don’t have to drain you coolant. Make sure you buy two new sensors and pigtails because there is no harness that you can buy the harness you see on the internet is wrong just use the pigtails from the harness here is link got two sensors denso brand and wiring harness for 30.00 https://m.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Knock-Sen...anner=1&_rdt=1 I took a gamble to see if it was to good to be true but it’s good no check engine light after I drove it for 3 days nothing yet. Make sure you get o rings for the fuel injectors if you have over 150k on the car you will need them. Any questions ask me I can help on misfiring evap codes you name it
Old 11-12-18, 03:36 AM
credle89
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bigAL98ES
You don’t have to drain you coolant. Make sure you buy two new sensors and pigtails because there is no harness that you can buy the harness you see on the internet is wrong just use the pigtails from the harness here is link got two sensors denso brand and wiring harness for 30.00 https://m.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Knock-Sen...anner=1&_rdt=1 I took a gamble to see if it was to good to be true but it’s good no check engine light after I drove it for 3 days nothing yet. Make sure you get o rings for the fuel injectors if you have over 150k on the car you will need them. Any questions ask me I can help on misfiring evap codes you name it
hey did the check light come on yet ? I was just looking at these dense sensor
Old 11-12-18, 04:02 AM
TrueGS300
Racer

Received 463 Likes on 377 Posts

Looks like the issue is figured out. I just wanted to put my .02. As a tech I see more wiring issues than bad knock sensors. For any Knock sensors that you have to pull the intake to access, its always a good idea to change the pigtail. Or at least us a DMM or some form of Ohm reader to check for continuity between the connector pins and somewhere accessible from outside the manifold. As long as you show continuity from outside the intake to the connector ends, you'll be able to get away with just new sensor(s).