GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2004 gs430

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-16, 11:30 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2004 gs430

Our GS430 has about 130k miles and we haven't changed any suspension parts yet. I'm guessing we should do something soon. So I understand that the lower ball joints are a concern on these cars. Is there anything else we should change at the same time if we're going to change these out such as shocks or other bushings?

I've read on other posts that some people are recommending water pump change if doing the timing belts. Have the pumps been known to fail or is that just preventative maintenance?
Old 03-28-16, 11:38 AM
LexusK
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-overhaul.html
Old 03-28-16, 11:48 AM
bam
Lead Lap

What if instead of replacing some of the components with 3rd party components, I stick with all OEM replacement? Is that a complete no-no? Over the last couple of times that I've taken the car in to the dealer for service, I've been asking if it's time for us to replace the lower ball joints and he just asks if I hear anything when turning the wheel or something like that. I can't remember exactly what he asks me but I guess I tell him that I don't hear anything, he says there's no immediate need to replace anything at this time. I think the next time I go in, I'm going to tell him that I want to do it as preventative maintenance. I'm just not sure what is critical vs what I should do. It seems that I'll need to replace the lower ball joints and I'll ask about the bushings as well.

So if this is for the front end, is there anything that I need to be on the look out for on the rear end? It seems that if I'm replacing some of the bushings on the front end, I should replace some of the bushings on the rear end so that the suspension is balanced out with new components instead of new on the front and old on the rear.
Old 03-28-16, 12:00 PM
Sanfou510
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should look around in the forums for what manufacturer makes our oem parts. I believe asain is our manufacturer for the water pump and its way cheaper than from the dealer. Thats what I used for my gs300 and now using it for my gs400. And you should not really be too concerned for your lbj's since you have a 01+ gs. They come
With beefier suspension than the 98-00. BUT I would still recommend replacing them with moog lower ball joints. 20 bucks each side at rockauto. Goodluck.
Old 03-28-16, 12:05 PM
bam
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sanfou510
You should look around in the forums for what manufacturer makes our oem parts. I believe asain is our manufacturer for the water pump and its way cheaper than from the dealer. Thats what I used for my gs300 and now using it for my gs400. And you should not really be too concerned for your lbj's since you have a 01+ gs. They come
With beefier suspension than the 98-00.
BUT I would still recommend replacing them with moog lower ball joints. 20 bucks each side at rockauto. Goodluck.
Oh. I thought this repair was for all years of 2nd gen GS. I didn't know it only applied to to the earlier production years. So it sounds like it might not be a concern on our '04 GS430 then.
Old 03-28-16, 02:37 PM
Sanfou510
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bam
Oh. I thought this repair was for all years of 2nd gen GS. I didn't know it only applied to to the earlier production years. So it sounds like it might not be a concern on our '04 GS430 then.
Yup but just take caution and replace them. Its concerened for all years but 01+ have a lower chance of them actually breaking. I havent seen anybody who owned a 01+ that has had their lower ball joints break on them but there may be other people who has seen it happen before.
Old 03-29-16, 08:38 AM
liazon
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

In your original post, you ask about water pump and then ask about suspension.
The water pump often gets done at the time of the timing belt because there is minimal labor involved at that time. To get to the belt, the pump is exposed so it's more or less just the part cost. Pumps are rated to last longer than belts as far as I know, so in some sense it is preventative. The part hasn't failed when you replace it. (just had mine done last week)

That brings up suspension. I'm not a mechanic, but in my 20 years of owning Toyota's, when suspension parts begin to fail you'll hear squeaking or grinding warning noises, especially while turning, or going over bumps, that it's time to hit the shop soon. Like brakes, if you don't heed the warnings, things can get worse and more expensive, but also like brakes, in my opinion, you don't need to preventatively replace. You wait for the signs they are at the end of their lifespan then get them replaced. Unlike the timing belt, which fails w/o any warning signs, and results in you being stranded.

To put it another way, If your girlfriend or wife seems happy today, you don't asking if anything is wrong. You enjoy the ride while it lasts.
Old 03-29-16, 08:43 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Sanfou510
Yup but just take caution and replace them. Its concerened for all years but 01+ have a lower chance of them actually breaking. I havent seen anybody who owned a 01+ that has had their lower ball joints break on them but there may be other people who has seen it happen before.
it still happens even on the beefier 2001+ arms