GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Dear lord I fixed my clunk after 5 years!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-16, 10:00 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Dear lord I fixed my clunk after 5 years!!

So I've replaced basically my whole front end, was getting a thump clunk noise over any every size bump, 4 mechanics couldn't find it, (lazy as hell) so I took it to my brothers new work, at Mercedes, their best tech who is only 20 years old (he's amazing) threw it on the lift, the first thing he seen when prying on the sway bar I had about a quarter inch of play, he said that's probably my problem right there, so I bought the new bushings for $20 dollars! He put them in yesterday for $40 bucks, I left, prayed and prayed again then hit my first bump and almost cried with relief, PROBLEM GONE, after all these years I can't believe it for $20 freaking dollars it finally feels like a freaking Lexus I've been so overjoyed u have no idea, please check your sway bar guys if u have this problem, I Love my car that much more now, now I actually enjoy driving it...
Old 03-16-16, 11:23 AM
PandaGS300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DosyBoy
So I've replaced basically my whole front end, was getting a thump clunk noise over any every size bump, 4 mechanics couldn't find it, (lazy as hell) so I took it to my brothers new work, at Mercedes, their best tech who is only 20 years old (he's amazing) threw it on the lift, the first thing he seen when prying on the sway bar I had about a quarter inch of play, he said that's probably my problem right there, so I bought the new bushings for $20 dollars! He put them in yesterday for $40 bucks, I left, prayed and prayed again then hit my first bump and almost cried with relief, PROBLEM GONE, after all these years I can't believe it for $20 freaking dollars it finally feels like a freaking Lexus I've been so overjoyed u have no idea, please check your sway bar guys if u have this problem, I Love my car that much more now, now I actually enjoy driving it...
A sway bar bushing?

WOW!
Old 03-16-16, 12:07 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I changed both from and rear away bar bushings on my old 2GS and couldn't believe the difference! Went over bumps so much smoother
Old 03-16-16, 12:36 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PandaGS300
A sway bar bushing?

WOW!
A freaking SWAY BAR BUSHING! difference is UNREAL smh
Old 03-16-16, 02:16 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

Guess you are not mechanically inclined at all. Most of us swap them out ourselves and upgrade to polyurethane ones. Your story remind me of when I had my 2004 Benz E500. I had a drivers side clunking noise I could not figure out. I change the swaybar link, and control arm myself, which didn't need to be changed. I figured out that it was the damn suspension airpump inside the fenderwell moving around! Sometimes it's something so simple.

BTW have you ever changed your motor mounts? If not then they are guaranteed to be bad. Change the transmission mount also. You'll really love your GS after you have them changed. It will drive and shift like new after you change them
Old 03-16-16, 03:14 PM
mate01
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Can someone link me quality polyurethane bushings for a 01 gs430? thanks guys.
Old 03-16-16, 04:47 PM
firelizard

Received 421 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by mate01
Normally I'd say Daizen, but you asked for quality...

Sadly, polyurethane swaybar bushings and quality don't really go together. They are great while they last though, if they're lubricated enough.
Old 03-16-16, 05:07 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JLAWS
Guess you are not mechanically inclined at all. Most of us swap them out ourselves and upgrade to polyurethane ones. Your story remind me of when I had my 2004 Benz E500. I had a drivers side clunking noise I could not figure out. I change the swaybar link, and control arm myself, which didn't need to be changed. I figured out that it was the damn suspension airpump inside the fenderwell moving around! Sometimes it's something so simple.

BTW have you ever changed your motor mounts? If not then they are guaranteed to be bad. Change the transmission mount also. You'll really love your GS after you have them changed. It will drive and shift like new after you change them
Sigh , why wouldn't I pay someone a lousy $40 and watch them do it on a lift, it was right after I got off work , and right up the street, yes my mounts have been done for years

Last edited by DosyBoy; 03-16-16 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-16-16, 11:56 PM
Bhubb18
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did mine today. For the 15 mins it took, I'm happy! Car is a bit less clunky now!
Old 03-17-16, 12:40 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Originally Posted by mate01
I highly recommend Prothane bushings. You can get the front and rear from the site below. Click on "suggested items" and order the extra 3 pack grease so you can apply extra. Never had a problem with them when I had my Gs400 & Gs430. I also changed the swaybar end links since they were a little worn and got the polyurethane Front Steering Rack and Pinion Mount Bushings. All very doable yourself. Made the car MUCH more stable especially on the highway when I changed out everything.

http://www.prothanesuspensionparts.c...xus_gs430_2001
Old 03-17-16, 12:42 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Originally Posted by Bhubb18
Did mine today. For the 15 mins it took, I'm happy! Car is a bit less clunky now!
....And money saved in your pocket
Old 03-17-16, 11:44 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

you got lucky.. sometimes its not that easy...
Old 03-20-16, 10:44 AM
Crumvoc
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, I endured the same clunking and sloppy steering/bump steer problems for the last 4 years. Took it to shops... changed out the lower ball joints which helped a lot, but not all the way. Finally, looking around on this website, I discovered the steering rack bushing issues. Checked under the car and the rack moved a little, but not a lot. Decided to go for it, without high expectations... Wow. MUCH better to drive now!

Why don't front end/tire shops routinely check those? I understand that lots of cars with high miles are subject to the same issues....
Old 03-20-16, 11:16 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

This ended up being a fix for me as well. I replaced everything, all the struts control arms ball joints and the suspension still sounded like it was going to fall out. When this car is in tip top shape, it's so nice to drive
Old 03-20-16, 10:26 PM
Bhubb18
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just replaced my steering rack bushes as well. Car is a lot better with finer inputs, but I still get a little shake at 100 km/h or so.

Quick Reply: Dear lord I fixed my clunk after 5 years!!