GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help! please! 2jzgte swap, stuck!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-16, 03:49 PM
DaveGS3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! please! 2jzgte swap, stuck!

Hey folks, been w member fot a long time under a different name. Lost my sign in password so added a new one. Never really posted much. However, tonight I'm at a stand still with my swap. I have an 03 GS. Spent all day helping swap the GTE motor/tranny in. Got to the driveshaft. It won't bolt up to the new trans. Isolator needs to be different. What do I use? It's costing me daily for the car to be on the rack. I've done a search but get conflicting answers. Can someone tell.me what to use or if need to change out something. I have access to a 93 Sc300 if there's a part on there I could use.
Also, not sure what to use for a pwr steering reservoir since this swap didn't come with one.
Yes, I got it from eBay and it did come.with ecu, mafs, etc. But not driveshaft or reservoir.
Do I just use the GE tranny? Will it bolt up?
Old 03-08-16, 05:06 PM
iToaster
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You can't use the stock GS300 driveshaft, you need the front section from an Aristo driveshaft. The GE's transmission will bolt up (it's the same engine block), but it's a 5-speed auto where the GTE is a 4-speed so it won't work with the GTE's ECU. Speaking of which, have you figured out how to rewire the ECU body plugs? On an '03 they're different than the ones on the GTE ECU.

The power steering reservoir can be anything really. I took a walk around a junkyard until I found something that looked appropriate.
Old 03-08-16, 05:30 PM
nyc80rick
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

toaster is right the gte ecu won't read the 5speed ge transmission . I'm not sure if any US driveshaft has the same part number as the aristo . best of luck
Old 03-08-16, 05:31 PM
DaveGS3
Driver School Candidate

Seriously? Sheesh, such a complicated swap! Now, I'm not sure where to get an aristo driveshaft. This Sux. Yeah, power steering reservoir I'm not too worried about.
And no, I wasn't aware of any wiring issues yet. Have you got any diagrams of what goes where? I'm assuming you have done this swap?
Thanks for the help
Old 03-08-16, 05:39 PM
DaveGS3
Driver School Candidate

I'm thinking since I work with alot of machinist, why couldn't I just make an isolator? (The part that connects the driveshaft to the trans)
Old 03-08-16, 06:03 PM
DaveGS3
Driver School Candidate

Was also told on 01-up only one pin had to be changed on the harness
Old 03-08-16, 09:22 PM
iToaster
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It might be possible to rig something up with a custom isolator. You could also try swapping the yoke on the GTE transmission with the one from the old transmission, although I have no idea if they are interchangeable. As far as wiring goes, the body plugs on the ECU were changed mid-year in 2001 with the newer style ECU, the one wire is for cars before then to make the tachometer work.

I'm currently partway through a swap into my '03, but it's a weekend project sitting in my driveway with the luxury of time. The wiring is around 40 pins that need to be swapped to new (old) connectors, but I haven't been able to work on that yet.
Old 03-09-16, 01:37 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS3
Was also told on 01-up only one pin had to be changed on the harness
Nope, you're in for quite the wiring job. Whoever told you that had it backwards, the 1-wire thing is for 98-00 and is to get the Tach working.

The the ecu pin sizes are also different sizes between 98-00/Aristo and 01+, so either buy new toyota pins and replace them on the wires (right way to do it) or cut them and solder them on as jumpers to repin them. Also not all the wires swap between the ecu plugs some have to swap with the connectors on the body connectors beside the ecu in the box.

Or just throw the twins in the trash, and go single. Then put the GE harness on the GTE, use an FIC or similar on the GE ecu, and then you can also use the stock 5speed trans and it's driveshaft as well.

Either way you've got alot of wiring ahead of you.

I'm not sure where to get an aristo driveshaft. This Sux. Yeah, power steering reservoir I'm not too worried about.
You can order the power steering resi w/bracket, fuel pump/return hanger assembly, and front driveshaft from JapanPartsService 1-844-536-7278, it would be a special order to get them separately, as the ones instock are only sold with the complete aristo swap packages.

Last edited by 99 GS3; 03-09-16 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-09-16, 01:45 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by iToaster
You could also try swapping the yoke on the GTE transmission with the one from the old transmission, although I have no idea if they are interchangeable.
Would be ideal, but they unfortunately don't interchange.
Old 03-10-16, 04:39 PM
DaveGS3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
Nope, you're in for quite the wiring job. Whoever told you that had it backwards, the 1-wire thing is for 98-00 and is to get the Tach working.

The the ecu pin sizes are also different sizes between 98-00/Aristo and 01+, so either buy new toyota pins and replace them on the wires (right way to do it) or cut them and solder them on as jumpers to repin them. Also not all the wires swap between the ecu plugs some have to swap with the connectors on the body connectors beside the ecu in the box.

Or just throw the twins in the trash, and go single. Then put the GE harness on the GTE, use an FIC or similar on the GE ecu, and then you can also use the stock 5speed trans and it's driveshaft as well.

Either way you've got alot of wiring ahead of you.

You can order the power steering resi w/bracket, fuel pump/return hanger assembly, and front driveshaft from JapanPartsService 1-844-536-7278, it would be a special order to get them separately, as the ones instock are only sold with the complete aristo swap packages.
OK, so wait, i need to clarify, use my stock tranny and GE ecu? What's an FIC?
I have ordered the aristo driveshaft. Will be here Monday.

So today I went to National Speed who says to spend another $3000 on their AEM infinity stand alone. Nope, not happening, not right now. I called Tweak'd performance who makes a wiring harness for this swap for $1600. They said in order to make it work, I would have to use both ECUs and that they have done several.of these.
Old 03-10-16, 04:43 PM
DaveGS3
Driver School Candidate

I don't have an extra $1600 laying around right now. So far I've got $4k in this swap and it's incomplete. Is there a wire diagram? Is it really as easy as jut swapping plugs on the harnesses?
Old 03-10-16, 07:14 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

OK, so wait, i need to clarify, use my stock tranny and GE ecu? What's an FIC?
I have ordered the aristo driveshaft. Will be here Monday.

So today I went to National Speed who says to spend another $3000 on their AEM infinity stand alone. Nope, not happening, not right now. I called Tweak'd performance who makes a wiring harness for this swap for $1600. They said in order to make it work, I would have to use both ECUs and that they have done several.of these.
AEM FIC piggyback, just about any piggyback or standalone can be made to work, but you should choose what brand and model the local tuner that you will use guarantees he knows how properly tune on a vvti 2j.

Sure infinity will work. Gotta pay to play.

Paralleling 2 two ecu's is common, and is done to either run the GTE w/ Twins on 5spd GE trans on and Aristo ecu, or to run the GTE & 4spd on the GS ecu to retain US spec OBD2, Cruise, and VSC.

Standalone, Piggyback, Dual OEM ecu's, or just Aristo ECU in 01+ are all similar wiring jobs and all require the same familiarity and understanding of the car/engine sensors and functions.

I don't have an extra $1600 laying around right now. So far I've got $4k in this swap and it's incomplete. Is there a wire diagram? Is it really as easy as jut swapping plugs on the harnesses?
Easy is a relative term. Easy to some, not to others. But no, it's not just swapping the plugs, that is just one of the things that needs to be done, and all the wires from one set of plugs don't just going into the other plugs, they are split between all the ecu plugs and some on the chassis side plugs as well. Since you have both ecu's take a look at the pin sizes not just connector shapes. Both are different. It's a full rewire and is not color-to-color or anything like that. I have done them, and it is tedious, but still far from rocket science. One just needs to sit down and do it, if your not familiar with all the sensors on the 2j and the cars functions, and just want the swap done it may be worth looking into just paying the money somewhere to get it done properly.
Old 03-11-16, 03:53 AM
DaveGS3
Driver School Candidate

I guess this swap.is not as popular as I thought it was. Little information out there. I miss my Nissan's and the mass info.
Old 03-11-16, 04:00 AM
DaveGS3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
AEM FIC piggyback, just about any piggyback or standalone can be made to work, but you should choose what brand and model the local tuner that you will use guarantees he knows how properly tune on a vvti 2j.

Sure infinity will work. Gotta pay to play.

Paralleling 2 two ecu's is common, and is done to either run the GTE w/ Twins on 5spd GE trans on and Aristo ecu, or to run the GTE & 4spd on the GS ecu to retain US spec OBD2, Cruise, and VSC.

Standalone, Piggyback, Dual OEM ecu's, or just Aristo ECU in 01+ are all similar wiring jobs and all require the same familiarity and understanding of the car/engine sensors and functions.

Easy is a relative term. Easy to some, not to others. But no, it's not just swapping the plugs, that is just one of the things that needs to be done, and all the wires from one set of plugs don't just going into the other plugs, they are split between all the ecu plugs and some on the chassis side plugs as well. Since you have both ecu's take a look at the pin sizes not just connector shapes. Both are different. It's a full rewire and is not color-to-color or anything like that. I have done them, and it is tedious, but still far from rocket science. One just needs to sit down and do it, if your not familiar with all the sensors on the 2j and the cars functions, and just want the swap done it may be worth looking into just paying the money somewhere to get it done prharness

Do, I can just the aristo ecu and as long as I know where what goes to what, I should be able to cut and solder. I would rather use the GE ECU and change the wiring on the GTE motor. I could use alt, AC,sensors from the GE to retain the harness
What's your thots on that
Old 03-13-16, 09:31 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Do, I can just the aristo ecu and as long as I know where what goes to what, I should be able to cut and solder. I would rather use the GE ECU and change the wiring on the GTE motor. I could use alt, AC,sensors from the GE to retain the harness
What's your thots on that
Yes, once wired properly into the 01+ harness the aristo ecu will run the car fine. Keep in mind you will lose vsc, cruise, OBD2 scanning (aristo is JOBD), you will also hit 118mph (190km) speed limiter built in the aristo ecu, which can be eliminated once you have an external tuner, or just buy a HKS SLD speed limit defencer box for $100.

If you want to run the GE ecu to retain VSC, Cruise, OBD2 scanning, or if you want to do it keep the GE 5spd auto behind the GTE. You will need to run dual ecu's to do that as the aristo ecu still has to run GTE Twins. Only if you run a piggyback w/ single turbo or a standalone can you not use the Aristo ecu for anything.

FYI if you are running the GE ecu to keep the 5spd trans, just don't send the spd signal to the Aristo ecu and the 118mph limit won't engage the engine cut, since it's not controlling the 4spd trans it doesn't need the spd signal input anymore.

Last edited by 99 GS3; 03-15-16 at 10:01 AM.