GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Unique problem...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-16, 05:41 PM
aeromech
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unique problem...

I just bought a 1999 GS400 from a private seller for dirt cheap. We all know the problems that come along with a deal like that.

My mystery is that the tail lights don't work. The brake lights do, but not the tail lights for night driving. I am pretty good with stuff like this but can't gain access to the trunk. The car came with 2 keys and no key fob/remote. Keys do not have buttons on them. Only one key will work in the ignition and doors. The other doesn't work on anything in/on the car. I am guessing the inop key is there for the rf chip due to the fact that if it isn't on the same key ring... The car will not start.

Neither key works in the trunk or on the valet lock between the gas door and trunk levers.

How the hell do I get into the trunk? Tried taking the rear seat back off to no avail, found a dead end. Most of my driving will be at night and without tail lights... I'm SOL.

Any ideas? Tried holding the lever and getting someone to pull up on the trunk lid hoping it was the seal stuck, but not happening.

Thanks
Old 02-28-16, 05:58 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by aeromech
I just bought a 1999 GS400 from a private seller for dirt cheap. We all know the problems that come along with a deal like that.

My mystery is that the tail lights don't work. The brake lights do, but not the tail lights for night driving. I am pretty good with stuff like this but can't gain access to the trunk. The car came with 2 keys and no key fob/remote. Keys do not have buttons on them. Only one key will work in the ignition and doors. The other doesn't work on anything in/on the car. I am guessing the inop key is there for the rf chip due to the fact that if it isn't on the same key ring... The car will not start.

Neither key works in the trunk or on the valet lock between the gas door and trunk levers.

How the hell do I get into the trunk? Tried taking the rear seat back off to no avail, found a dead end. Most of my driving will be at night and without tail lights... I'm SOL.

Any ideas? Tried holding the lever and getting someone to pull up on the trunk lid hoping it was the seal stuck, but not happening.

Thanks
Hello, I'd first swap the bulbs out. Sometimes when the wrong bulb is installed it does funky things. I remember I installed the wrong rear blinkers one time and only the driver side blinked real fast where the passenger was normal. I thought my relay or wires got jacked up but it just wound up being the wrong bulb. Another time I put a wrong brake bulb in a different car and it made the rear brake lights stay on full time. Check the bulbs again.

Good luck
Old 02-28-16, 06:27 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Between the gas cap button and the trunk button, there should be a keyhole. Make sure that button is not pressed in otherwise the trunk switch won't work. I do not recall if non-remote keys will unlock it. I believe the valet key does not have the necessary groove on the key to even allow you to insert.
Old 02-28-16, 06:34 PM
aeromech
Driver School Candidate

One of the keys will work in the keyhole but not turn, the other won't even slide in.
Attached Thumbnails Unique problem...-0228161755a.jpg  
Old 02-28-16, 06:35 PM
aeromech
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Hello, I'd first swap the bulbs out. Sometimes when the wrong bulb is installed it does funky things. I remember I installed the wrong rear blinkers one time and only the driver side blinked real fast where the passenger was normal. I thought my relay or wires got jacked up but it just wound up being the wrong bulb. Another time I put a wrong brake bulb in a different car and it made the rear brake lights stay on full time. Check the bulbs again.

Good luck
Can't gain access to inside the trunk to even diagnose the lighting problem.
Old 02-28-16, 06:52 PM
terminater
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks
Hmm. Maybe this YouTube video will help you.

Hopefully you won't find a dead body once you get the trunk open!
Old 02-28-16, 06:55 PM
aeromech
Driver School Candidate

Lol, thanks I will check it out. Previous owner of the car before the guy I bought it from was the local police department... Hahaha, wonder what really is in there.
Old 02-28-16, 10:02 PM
Revive
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does the one that works in ignition also work for the doors? And if so does it have grooves on the sides? If no then it probably will work for the valet lock if you have the grooves cut in it. Those grooves on the edge are the only physical difference between valet key and master key. Just need a locksmith with a laser cutter.
Old 02-29-16, 04:32 AM
aeromech
Driver School Candidate

The key that works in the ignition works on the doors as well but the car will not start if the other key is off the key ring. One is the key and the other is there for the chip and doesn't work for anything else.
Old 02-29-16, 06:03 AM
Revive
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The key that works in the ignition works on the doors as well but the car will not start if the other key is off the key ring. One is the key and the other is there for the chip and doesn't work for anything else.
A master locksmith with laser cutter can solve all of your problems. You need a new transponder and key to be programmed/cut. If you just want to get into the trunk etc and "deal" with what you have for a while ask them to cut the master lock groove in your working key.

You can alternatively buy a pre cut key shell from ebay sellers using a photo of the working key (it will be cut with the master lock groove). They are less than $50 if I remember, it's been a few yrs. But you will still need a transponder and need it programmed.
Old 02-29-16, 06:54 PM
aeromech
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Revive
A master locksmith with laser cutter can solve all of your problems. You need a new transponder and key to be programmed/cut. If you just want to get into the trunk etc and "deal" with what you have for a while ask them to cut the master lock groove in your working key.

You can alternatively buy a pre cut key shell from ebay sellers using a photo of the working key (it will be cut with the master lock groove). They are less than $50 if I remember, it's been a few yrs. But you will still need a transponder and need it programmed.
What is the best way to get back to square one with the key set? Fully new to the Lexus world and may not understand due to nomenclature used. I want to have all the keys for this car that I should have including the fobs.

My overall goal is to get this car into full working order and the keys situation seems to be pretty important.

Thanks very much for your help!
Old 02-29-16, 07:29 PM
Sanfou510
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks
Is your license plate, side markers, and city/parking lights out also? I had this problem. My tails would light up when braking but not when i turn on my headlights. Found out that the fuse for the tail lights had blown. Had to replace the 10a fuse thats in the ecu box under the driver side. It should be the 10a fuse in the first row but i cannot remember. Either first or second row in the fuse box.
Old 03-01-16, 10:41 AM
lexo98
Racer

Received 263 Likes on 226 Posts

Looks like you have 2 valet keys. Depends how much money you want to spend. Way back in the day I locked my only key in the trunk. I took my registration to the dealer and they ordered me just a key blade and that will work on the trunk lock. Or just order a complete key with transponder.
Old 03-02-16, 10:13 PM
aeromech
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sanfou510
Is your license plate, side markers, and city/parking lights out also? I had this problem. My tails would light up when braking but not when i turn on my headlights. Found out that the fuse for the tail lights had blown. Had to replace the 10a fuse thats in the ecu box under the driver side. It should be the 10a fuse in the first row but i cannot remember. Either first or second row in the fuse box.
Working out of town at the moment. I will check which lights are not working again. I went through all the fuses and checked every one of them and found the 10a fuse you speak of missing. I replaced it and no luck. When I press the brake pedal, the brake lights on the trunk, spoiler, 3rd brake light in the rear windshield, and reverse lights illuminate, but nothing when the headlights are switched on...until I press the brake pedal that is. The blinkers and hazards work perfectly.

Sounds like someone wired the trunk lid all wrong.
Old 03-02-16, 10:15 PM
aeromech
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexo98
Looks like you have 2 valet keys. Depends how much money you want to spend. Way back in the day I locked my only key in the trunk. I took my registration to the dealer and they ordered me just a key blade and that will work on the trunk lock. Or just order a complete key with transponder.
What I really would like is 2 masters with remote capability and 2 valet keys, not so sure I can do that without going to the dealership.

Quick Reply: Unique problem...