GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Ball joint options

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-16, 05:02 AM
100bajan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball joint options

Hey gang, which brand ball joints would you guys recommend? I was looking at OEM, Moog, Beck/Arnley. Am I missing any other recommended brands?
Old 02-27-16, 05:21 AM
gs300F
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My honest opinion. Go with OEM. That's what I have on mine. Just replaced my lower and upper ball joint. Let me know what you think.
Old 02-27-16, 08:38 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by gs300F
My honest opinion. Go with OEM. That's what I have on mine. Just replaced my lower and upper ball joint. Let me know what you think.
OEM.......someone didn't search lolol!! OP click on the sticky to read all the info concerning ball joints
Old 02-27-16, 09:47 AM
nelson09
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I went with moog.
Figured moog is a well worn path and cant be anywhere close to as poorly made as our oem.
Old 02-27-16, 10:38 AM
100bajan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SaiyanGS3
OEM.......someone didn't search lolol!! OP click on the sticky to read all the info concerning ball joints
Well I was reading the threads where people changed there's out, a lot of them didn't say what brand they used. I know that for a lot of other parts Moog seemed to be decent, so was just wondering on the ball joints. Plus just looking at the price difference with the OEM over $100 per side and the others around $35 that kinda gives you a "hmmmmmm" type moment, like I know the OEM are going to be more expensive but that gap is HUGE!! My mechanic said they only had very little play in them, but I'm going to change them out since it is a 15 year old car and although it only has 76k miles on it we did the timing belt right after I got it, so this is next. He said all the other bushings were great but I'm still going to change them all out eventually.

nelson09 have you had any issues to date with the Moog?
Old 02-27-16, 11:06 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The original joints in the 98-00 GS didn't last as long, but were much improved when the 01+ joints came out. The newer revisions have no issues, but if your car is lowered in any way, then you need to check the joints periodically regardless of the brand.

I went with OEM joints because the price difference was small at the time.
Old 02-27-16, 12:23 PM
nelson09
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 100bajan
Well I was reading the threads where people changed there's out, a lot of them didn't say what brand they used. I know that for a lot of other parts Moog seemed to be decent, so was just wondering on the ball joints. Plus just looking at the price difference with the OEM over $100 per side and the others around $35 that kinda gives you a "hmmmmmm" type moment, like I know the OEM are going to be more expensive but that gap is HUGE!! My mechanic said they only had very little play in them, but I'm going to change them out since it is a 15 year old car and although it only has 76k miles on it we did the timing belt right after I got it, so this is next. He said all the other bushings were great but I'm still going to change them all out eventually.

nelson09 have you had any issues to date with the Moog?
No issues, my GS is an 01 but I changed them out for peace of mind. Small price to pay when you weigh risk vs. reward. Didn't want to risk being stranded on the side of the road with my wheels folded up under the car looking like Back to th Future lol...or worse!
Old 02-27-16, 12:46 PM
colinodon
Rookie

From my understanding oem balljoints are prone to failure so why replace them with oem? Give me a ball joint that was designed for the rigors of a 3700lb sedan with a serviceable grease port
Old 02-27-16, 12:46 PM
gs300F
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gsteg
the original joints in the 98-00 gs didn't last as long, but were much improved when the 01+ joints came out. The newer revisions have no issues, but if your car is lowered in any way, then you need to check the joints periodically regardless of the brand.

I went with oem joints because the price difference was small at the time.

oem is the best. I got mine for a good price on ebay.
Old 02-27-16, 05:19 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by GSteg
The original joints in the 98-00 GS didn't last as long, but were much improved when the 01+ joints came out. The newer revisions have no issues, but if your car is lowered in any way, then you need to check the joints periodically regardless of the brand.

I went with OEM joints because the price difference was small at the time.
This isn't true as there were members here with 01+ models having oem lbj failures and posting. The ball joints has been the failure point on the GS models since the first gen. Moog or nothing. You said they were revised, can you provide proof that the steel structure was revised on 01+ models. I haven't found any solid information from Lexus to back up the revised claim. If you have it, I would love to read it.
Old 02-27-16, 05:21 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Originally Posted by colinodon
From my understanding oem balljoints are prone to failure so why replace them with oem? Give me a ball joint that was designed for the rigors of a 3700lb sedan with a serviceable grease port
exactly! Anyone pushing for oem clearly is very green about this car.
Old 02-27-16, 06:22 PM
100bajan
Pole Position

Moog it is then.
Old 02-27-16, 07:30 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by SaiyanGS3
This isn't true as there were members here with 01+ models having oem lbj failures and posting. The ball joints has been the failure point on the GS models since the first gen. Moog or nothing. You said they were revised, can you provide proof that the steel structure was revised on 01+ models. I haven't found any solid information from Lexus to back up the revised claim. If you have it, I would love to read it.

Many of those members also have lowered cars which accelerates wear. When I used to keep track of the LBJ threads, 98% of the posts were from 98-00 GS owners, not 01+. When I changed my ball joints years ago, I compared them side by side, old OEM vs new OEM and it was very evident the new joints were beefier around ball housing body where most failures occur.

Toyota does not make public announcements on parts they revise. I don't work for Toyota so I can't get you that information.

I am not one of those blind "OEM ONLY" guy. With the exception of the LBJ, every other suspension part on my car are Moog parts. So why didn't I go with Moog LBJ? Because at the time, my buddy was able to get me OEM joints for not much more and I would have gotten them right away. I wasn't going to wait a week for Moogs to ship when my old joints were already loose as a goose. If I was doing preventative maintenance now, I would have bought whichever one was cheaper, in this case, Moog. However, this was 8 years ago and my joints are still good.

My point still stands, it doesn't matter what brand, OEM or Moog, the joints need to be inspected periodically.
Old 02-28-16, 02:05 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had Moog on for 2+ years, regrease em every oil change, solid as a rock just had them checked with a prybar on a lift, they won't budge...
Old 02-28-16, 07:50 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

I have a 98 GS4. I replaced the ball joints about 110K miles ago. I have been having them checked every six months or so and there are still fine. When I replaced the old ones I used OEM. I ordered them from Sewell Lexus back when you could do it online. At the time they had different part numbers for the newer ball joint(2003+) as compared with older '98 ball joints. I order ones for a 2003 GS.

Last summer I decided I would change out my ball joints again just for security. I bought MOOG and installed one on the driver side. As I was installing I noticed that the nut on the stud was not torquing down very well. I unbolted the ball joint and I could see that the threads on the spindle stud were practically none existent. I put my old OEM ball joint back on and returned the MOOG. The OEM was reinspected by a mechanic and it still checks out ok. I may have just got the one bad MOOG that got through quality control, nevertheless I was disappointed. I have heard all the good reviews about MOOG and there is definitely a price advantage but peace of mind with OEM is nice.

Quick Reply: Ball joint options