GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Best oil for Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-16, 04:29 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 8M6
Oil is really one of the most mindless tasks for vehicle maintenance that I don't think it's worth most people's time to devote excessive thought once they get a good routine down with good products. Don't be cheap, use a respectable synthetic, use a filter that doesn't rhyme with scam, change at a reasonable interval for the oil you've purchased, and watch your 1UZ (or 2JZ) outlive your ownership of it.
Don't agree as Fram Ultra is the best syn oil filter on the market. Honestly i think its the best filter period as it can go 15k miles between oil changes. I work in the oil and gas industry so being "cheap" doesn't actually hurt in this situation. Even store brand dino snd syn oils that are API SN are decent oils to run. I just put 6qts if Auto Zone dexos approved syn oil in my car for my recent oil change and I will run it for the full year. I found it on sale for $2/qt. So you can be cheap and still buy a great product. I always run dino oils, so you don't have to use syn oils. Actually all SN oils on the market now are actually a syn blend to achieve the SN rating. Your motor will run just as well with using syn or dino. I only used syn this time due to the bargain I found. I smell oil burning once I park now, so I'm sure the syn oil is doing its job of cleaning the stuff left behind from dino. Ill change my gaskets when i do my plugs

Last edited by SaiyanGS3; 02-27-16 at 04:37 AM.
Old 02-27-16, 11:12 AM
8M6
Pit Crew

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

Yeah, I read about Fram Ultra filters a couple of days after I replied to this thread. They're worth another look because they're way better than the basic Fram filter. I think they get written off because there's such a large disparity between their best and worst product, whereas all Wix filters seem to have a good reputation. I also found out about Purolators having QC issues in the last couple of years too.

You're right on getting an oil that's up to spec being more important than actually buying synthetic. I should clarify to say don't buy the cheapest thing on the shelf without doing a little bit of research, but since most people don't, they're better off playing it safe.
Old 02-27-16, 05:27 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 8M6
Yeah, I read about Fram Ultra filters a couple of days after I replied to this thread. They're worth another look because they're way better than the basic Fram filter. I think they get written off because there's such a large disparity between their best and worst product, whereas all Wix filters seem to have a good reputation. I also found out about Purolators having QC issues in the last couple of years too.

You're right on getting an oil that's up to spec being more important than actually buying synthetic. I should clarify to say don't buy the cheapest thing on the shelf without doing a little bit of research, but since most people don't, they're better off playing it safe.
I agree. If I lived in the Virginia/DC area, I would strictly run Super tech dino and syn oil due to the fact that it's bottled by XOM. Virgin analysis have prove to be very very close to Mobil Super dino. Cost savings
Old 02-29-16, 06:31 AM
aneidiaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Best oil for Lexus

I use the most expensive Castrol synthetic they have. Never had any problems. Also, I always use K&N oil filter.