GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Best oil for Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-16, 09:44 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
comparative used oil analysis will show some oils offer alot more protection than others. There are a handful of variables that affect oil as well such as engine condition, driving style and filtration.
Yep, which is why I stopped visiting bobistheoilguy years ago when I realized this. I stopped doing UOAs and went for a more practical solution: once a year (car rarely gets driven) using decent motor oil. I only do UOAs on my other car that may see the racetrack but even then I end up with Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1, whichever is cheaper. I can understand the obsession with the small details though. One of my other hobby is flashlight modding and it drives me nuts if my batteries are only charged to 4.21v instead of 4.25v. The difference is only seen on paper, but I'll still wait the extra 15 minute. lol.

At the end of the day, the engine will be the last thing that fails as long as the oil meets the minimum requirement. The rest of the car would have been junked long before the motor oil makes any difference to longevity. Our cars are approaching 20 years old and most examples are worth less than $5,000. 10 years ago, I had a different opinion.
Old 02-22-16, 10:26 PM
firelizard

Received 421 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by ShunDoe
If would have to disagree with this because in cold temperatures cheap oil like Walmart brand don't lubricant as good as Mobil or penzoil
Canada here, I have no idea what oil I'm using, but it was inexpensive, and my car is fine.

Would love to hear what you consider cold. And how you judge the quality of lubrication.
Old 02-23-16, 05:20 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm actually going to stop using Royal Purple. I went off reviews on how people said it's great stuff, however both my fathers van and my car developed oil leaks with it. I'm not sure if its not viscous enough, but I'll be going back to mobile one, which has been nothing but good for us .
Old 02-23-16, 07:23 AM
ShunDoe
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by firelizard
Canada here, I have no idea what oil I'm using, but it was inexpensive, and my car is fine.

Would love to hear what you consider cold. And how you judge the quality of lubrication.
Lol I'm from Texas so I'm sure the cold temperatures here are nothing like Canada. I've looked up a couple YouTube videos on different oils and their performance in different temperatures. Walmart brands performed the worse
Old 02-23-16, 08:54 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg

At the end of the day, the engine will be the last thing that fails as long as the oil meets the minimum requirement.
generally yes, but the OP's original question only blurted out brands with lots of oils with various characteristics. It's vague about his driving style and conditions that he drives or his engines current wear characteristics. These cars are old and some will actually perform better with a higher viscosity oil in the same grade. UOA's would help him seek out the "best" oil for his specific car, that he was asking.

For these old passenger cars, these high mileage formula oils fit the bill for me. Its more of a preventative thing to swell the old seals to prevent leaks. Otherwise its alot of labor involved or time spent for me to replace those leaky seals/gaskets if i were to DIY or pay a mechanic.
Old 02-23-16, 10:26 AM
2damnlowgs
Driver School Candidate

Which is the best oil for Lexus cars?

Mobile 1
Pensoil
Castrol
Valvoline
they all feel the same to be honest
Old 02-23-16, 04:10 PM
bruceb58
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Seriously? You started another oil thread. Don't you think the first one you started is enough?
Old 02-23-16, 04:15 PM
ShunDoe
Rookie

Originally Posted by bruceb58
Seriously? You started another oil thread. Don't you think the first one you started is enough?
I'm new to this man. I'm just curious
Old 02-23-16, 05:22 PM
GSteg
Rookie

ShunDoe,

I merged your threads together. In the future, just respond to the same thread you've been using if the topic is related. It reduces clutter on the forum.
Old 02-23-16, 05:50 PM
ShunDoe
Rookie

Cool, thanks. Like I said I'm new, I didn't know that's what they do on here
Old 02-23-16, 06:58 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It's MOBIL btw lol , full synthetic used since I owned my 400 and I won't put anything else in ever, results speak for themselves on oil BREAKDOWN, far superior, there's already plenty oil threads on here and other forums, just search...
Attached Thumbnails Best oil for Lexus-photo570.jpg  

Last edited by DosyBoy; 02-23-16 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-23-16, 09:24 PM
8M6
Pit Crew

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

Okay, now that the cluster has been merged, I'm actually going to try to be helpful. RamAirRckt had a good thread going on oil last year including test results and it's worth a read.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...sis-gs400.html

Personally, I consider my level of care the bare minimum for someone who cares. That means Mobil 1 with 7500-8500 mile change intervals. There are certainly better synthetics out there, but I've been getting Mobil 1 whenever it's on sale at Costco. I have a stash of Bosch filters and I'll probably look at the Wix 51515 when I run out since they're like $1 more than the Bosch.

If you change oil every 3000 on any halfway decent name brand conventional, you're wasting money. I run Castrol GTX for 5000 in my other car. When I kill that boat anchor of an engine and drop a blown beast in its place, Mobil 1 will be my new minimum spec.

Oil is really one of the most mindless tasks for vehicle maintenance that I don't think it's worth most people's time to devote excessive thought once they get a good routine down with good products. Don't be cheap, use a respectable synthetic, use a filter that doesn't rhyme with scam, change at a reasonable interval for the oil you've purchased, and watch your 1UZ (or 2JZ) outlive your ownership of it.

Last edited by 8M6; 02-23-16 at 09:33 PM.
Old 02-23-16, 09:29 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Which is the best oil for Lexus cars?

Mobile 1
Pensoil
Castrol
Valvoline
Valvoline max life is a very good oil.
Old 02-23-16, 09:36 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by 8M6
Don't be cheap, use a respectable synthetic, use a filter that doesn't rhyme with scam, change at a reasonable interval for the oil you've purchased, and watch your 1UZ (or 2JZ) outlive your ownership of it.
Very sound advice.
Old 02-27-16, 04:20 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

If would have to disagree with this because in cold temperatures cheap oil like Walmart brand don't lubricant as good as Mobil or penzoil
This is totally bull****. If you don't know what you're talking about, then don't make crazy statements like this. In the DC area, Walmart oil is made my ExxonMobil!

Quick Reply: Best oil for Lexus