GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS400 purchase with 235k

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-16, 09:08 PM
3rdgen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS400 purchase with 235k

Hello everyone. I am thinking about purchasing a 98 GS400 with 235k on it. 2-3 owner car. Seller acquired it from his father who purchased it from the original owner. Seller has accepted an offer of $2500. I test drove it. Rides pretty well and is quick. I know it needs brakes, new struts, and most likely the lower ball joints and upper controller arms at the minimum. Car appears to be well taken care of otherwise in regards to routine maintenance. I saw a timing belt sticker at 175k. Searched the VIN on lexus drivers website and for the most part has most of the service down at lexus dealer ships. Starter was recently replaced around 175k as well along with power steering flush and trans flush. Didnt feel any hesitation or slipping in the trans so Im pretty sure the trans is still ok and guessing its probably been flushed previously as well. I dont believe the car was driven hard. Just highway miles. Howerver the website did not indicate if the water pump was replaced. Not sure if going to a dealer would have that info. Car is a midwestern car, so it has the typical surface rust on the suspension and brakes, etc. Body is fairly clean with the exception of rust on the rear passenger door panel on the diver side but it is still solid. Looks like I could get a replacement for $400 if needed. Not sure if a body shop could just remove the rust and patch it up and possibly save some money. Black on black, Factory 16" rims. Sumitomo tires that look to have decent tread left. Forgot to bring my tire depth gauge when I went to look at it. Everything seems to be working well. Door locks, windows, Nakamichi radio. I master key but owner states he will look for the other.

My question is, knowing what you know now and experienced with the GS400, would you still consider a car like this? Basically, its going to be my road warrior so a pristine body is not high on my list. Its going to get hit with rocks, bugs, etc. My plan is to possibly trade it up for a GS430 after I rack up another 100k on it. I am a toyota enthusiast. I currently have a 99 4runner limited with 168k. I take it off road every now and then and have driven it back and for to Denver a few times to go skiing and still would not hesitate on taking it. Just not sure if Im being over confident with this type of car purchasing it at 235k miles, especially for $2500. Thoughts...
Old 02-17-16, 09:26 PM
Arcadian
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

So you'd spend $3000 to get it in shape, maybe look at cars in the $5,000 range and see how they compare.
Old 02-17-16, 09:45 PM
3rdgen
Driver School Candidate

Not sure where you are getting the $3000 figure. Thinking you might suspect I would be taking it to Lexus for repairs. I totaled up about $750 in suspension parts moog and kyb from rock auto and I would be doing the work myself.
Old 02-17-16, 10:44 PM
Brahms
Rookie

Driving a car from 235k to 335k may be more trouble than it is worth. In addition to the stuff you mentioned, there are the other 'usual' issues--door lock actuators, climate control servo motors, all the stuff written in the DIY sticky--that may consume a lot of your time. Why not shoot for a lower mileage, slightly newer car?

(Unless, of course, you view the challenge of getting to 335k as part of the allure, which I can understand even if I lack the courage to do it.)
Old 02-18-16, 01:47 AM
deepdish
Driver School Candidate

I have a black on black 2001 GS430 with 201K miles that I love, and I don't really know how to work on cars. In your situation where you can work on the car yourself, I think it's a good idea to get the GS400 with 235K miles *only* if black on black is your #1 preference. If you prefer a different color for interior or exterior then I'd wait longer and get a GS430 with lower miles instead.

GS400 benefits: cheaper to buy, eShift on steering wheel, and I heard it accelerates faster (due to fly-by-wire or maybe ecu, it's 0.1 seconds faster to 60mph)

GS430 benefits: newer car, HID headlamps, better brake system, more torque, digital compass on rear view mirror, side curtain airbags, navigation system is better.

I know that there are some differences in tail lights, grill, tint color on the gauge cluster, and the radios. Regarding eShift, some say it's useless because it's too slow and you'll hit the rev limiter, others say they like it. My GS430 has a bunch of buttons for the radio stations and volume on my steering wheel which I use often, not sure if GS400 has that. Some say the GS430 has better sound deadening material but I'm not sure.

Lastly, I don't like the fact that the GS400 you are looking at is a 1998 (first model year). A 2000 would be better. Good luck.
Old 02-18-16, 07:36 AM
colinodon
Rookie

I have a 213k gs400 first year 1998. Yeah 3/4 door lock actuators are broken but every other electronic system still works including the cruise the windows and climate control blenders and everyrhing like that. I replaced one ball joint yesterday. Got rid of the horrible creaking sound when turning the wheel. Unfortunately when i put it back together i started driving and there was a clicking sound when i drove so i think i reinstalled the brake caliper incorrectly.
Old 02-18-16, 07:43 AM
colinodon
Rookie

If i change the other ball joint and do a btake pad job and water pump + tb i wouldnt hesitate to take it to 313k
Old 02-18-16, 08:06 AM
3rdgen
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the replies everyone. I'm going to have to take a closer look at threads with issues with the climate control servo motors. My 99 4runner has them and have been ok, knock on wood. As of is now, the trade in value of this car is approx. $1500. Doing a search over the entire 48 states, the GS400 ranges in the $5 to $8k range. And not all of those are in the best of shape either. So I would most likely have to invest the same amount of work into it. I'm not fond of buying a car for 5k at 140k miles rack up 100k miles and have a trade in value of $1500 or less. So I thought $2500 was a fair deal compared to other listings. And then 100k miles later use it as a trade in which I would think would be around $1000 or donate it to a charity as a tax write off. With just about any car, you will lose money. Just trying to minimize that loss.

I'm not really worried about the trans or engine. I know the 1uz/2uz are legendary for reliability up to 400k miles. Wasn't sure if anyone on here has a gs400 nearing 300k and if there are any common issues such as bearings, differential, etc near or at that mileage. I haven't found to many threads with that type of mileage listed.

With my job, my company pays for gas. So I thought why not get something reliable, has sime spirit compared to the LS400, and will get me from A to B comfortably. I may occasionally have a 4-4.5 drive one way. I'm not interested in the performance differences between the gs400 and 430. If that was my concern, I would go for a gs300 and drop an LS2 with a 6 speed into. But I'm not looking for a project. Possibly down the road. Thank you again for the comments.
Old 02-18-16, 08:34 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

it sounds like you are sold on the car... if it has a solid maintenance history, and you are willing to do repairs yourself, then it is a great buy... i mean what other car can you get for $2,500 at that caliber?

if you budget for the major items that you already listed at $750, and you know that going in, at under $3500 it can be a good buy... as many others have said, things will start to go due to age and if you are aware, you won't feel so burned if you are crawling under the dash trying to pull the servo motor out...
Old 02-18-16, 12:39 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

I think you'll be ok, my '99 GS400 has 215,000+ and runs like new. A friend of mine at work recently traded in his '01 LX 470 with 306,000+. It wasn't that his vehicle wasn't running well, he just wanted something new.

I probably have more problems with the interior surfaces than I do the motor/transmission. A few years back I replaced the center arm rest and recently bought a steering wheel cover from Wheelskins. It was either that or a new steering wheel. I probably condition the seats with Leather Honey every 6 months now. Works wonders. So far so good, no rips or tears. I will need new floor mats after a while.

You just can't go wrong with these cars! I'm still on my original set of spark plugs if that tells you anything. Simply remarkable.
Old 02-18-16, 02:45 PM
lostape45
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

I get what you're getting at about losing value after putting on so many miles. It makes sense to buy one with high miles, but I don't think that high. Nearly every suspension component should be replaced by then and a timing belt job is pretty labor intensive. Now if you're willing to do the work, I say go for it but prepare for a couple small annoyance fixes (door actuators, suspension bushings, climate control, etc.)

Now to what this guy said above me, I don't care if its a Lexus vehicle, spark plugs were definitely not designed to be used for that many miles.
Old 02-18-16, 03:29 PM
3rdgen
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again for the replies. Just an fyi to the group the door locks and climate controls failures are more of a result of age of the vehicle and not do to how many miles are on it. I could get a GS400 with 60k miles on it and have the same probablity of experiencing the same issues.

Timing belt doesnt seem to be a big deal. Honestly it seems easier than doing one on a 99 4runner.

Does anyone have or seen a GS400 with or close to 300K? I have seen landcruisers and 4runners with that kind of mileage with relatively no issues. My main concern is if there are any bearing issues in the drivetrain, Sometimes those issue occur regardless of how well it was maintained. Not saying its a lexus issue. Just in general.
Old 02-18-16, 03:47 PM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdgen
Thanks again for the replies. Just an fyi to the group the door locks and climate controls failures are more of a result of age of the vehicle and not do to how many miles are on it. I could get a GS400 with 60k miles on it and have the same probablity of experiencing the same issues.

Timing belt doesnt seem to be a big deal. Honestly it seems easier than doing one on a 99 4runner.

Does anyone have or seen a GS400 with or close to 300K? I have seen landcruisers and 4runners with that kind of mileage with relatively no issues. My main concern is if there are any bearing issues in the drivetrain, Sometimes those issue occur regardless of how well it was maintained. Not saying its a lexus issue. Just in general.
Your absolutely right about the door lock actuators and climate control being age related. I actually have a 98 GS400 with 61,000 miles and my front passenger actuator is bad and the climate control started acting up right before I parked it for winter. It's funny, I too have a 97 4Runner that I drive in the winter. Mine has 230,000 miles and drives great, gotta love toyota
Old 02-19-16, 06:14 AM
Alphaman19
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I've a 98 GS400 with 286K and climbing as my daily driver. Yea, you get the usual list of things that fail simply due to age but they just give me an excuse to turn some wrenches on the weekends when wifey is bugging me (lol).

Engine and tranny wise I've had no issues, though I am religious about preventive maintenance on the really critical stuff. I don't abuse her either. I suspect what usually takes out a GS400 is an accident/crash; a properly cared for GS400 lasts practically forever.
Old 02-19-16, 12:05 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I normally shy away from buying old luxury cars but since you'll be turning the wrench yourself, I say go for it. Nice thing about having an older car is that everything is relatively simple compared to newer cars today. I would not hesitate to take my GS across the country and back.

Quick Reply: GS400 purchase with 235k