GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Heavy engine fumes in cabin.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-16, 07:58 PM
drizzygs3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heavy engine fumes in cabin.

Hey everyone,

I just wanted some help on an issue I have been dealing with for some time. I cannot even drive my car because of this, it has been 6 months.

A mechanic had told me it was no problem to swap out my broken cat OEM header for another system (OBX). I believed it for some reason. After that I had issues with the cars engine fumes entering the cabin and "poisoning me". So he put the stock manifold and down pipe back on, that did not solve anything. The same issue arose even after the OBX header was removed.

Today I learned that there was an exhaust leak where the header meets the down pipe but I feel this is just half the issue. I have tried everything to get rid of this "poisoning" I am dealing with. Besides a leak at the header and down pipe. What else can cause this? I find it crazy that this little leak under the car can cause such heavy effects on a human body. I mean that is why I cannot understand at all what the issue is. It is really disappointing.

Anyone have a clue about what I should do next? I am planning on putting oem gaskets on next. I have lost almost 1.5k on this issue that I should have never begun to deal with. Please help me fix my car ...
Old 02-04-16, 08:43 PM
justim
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Before you start throwing more money at it on gaskets, fix the exhaust leak where the header meets the downpipe.

I'm going to assume this small leaks adds up over time. The exhaust is probably being blown in from the A/C ducting or firewall and trapped in the cabin with you.

Also, just take it to Toyota if you haven't already. Ive had a couple weird issues with my car that only got worse when a mechanic stated stabbing ideas at it. Took it to Toyota and they diagnosed it within the day.
Old 02-04-16, 09:14 PM
drizzygs3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by justim
Before you start throwing more money at it on gaskets, fix the exhaust leak where the header meets the downpipe.

I'm going to assume this small leaks adds up over time. The exhaust is probably being blown in from the A/C ducting or firewall and trapped in the cabin with you.

Also, just take it to Toyota if you haven't already. Ive had a couple weird issues with my car that only got worse when a mechanic stated stabbing ideas at it. Took it to Toyota and they diagnosed it within the day.
Yeah I already emailed them. I really hope sealing the leak can solve this.

I know this mechanic fiddled with the ecu with some machines and what not so lord knows what the outcome will be. I cannot believe how these private mechanics do business.
Old 02-07-16, 11:21 AM
JimBobNC
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, tape over any chassis holes that aren't plugged. There are a couple on each body rail and I think there's also a position keyhole that might be open.
Old 02-07-16, 12:19 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

It's clearly just an exhaust leak. FIX the leaking pipes/gaskets and it will stop.

It will come in through the hvac fresh air intake, even if the hvac mode is turned off.

The cabin is far from airtight, nor is it supposed to be. The seals, boots, and plugs, make it 'water resistant' and there are no random holes in the chassis that penetrate into the cabin that aren't a booted/grommeted item.

I will say however if there is one area that may malfunction and is easy to check and the most likely to let excess outside air in. Inside the trunk under the left and right carpet flaps, where the Jack is on the left and the gps ecu is on the right, on each side down under those items are plastic Flaps, they flip open when you shut the doors to let the pressure out, the cabin needs to stay equalized with atmospheric pressure.. One of these could possibly be stuck or have mud/debris in it preventing it from closing completely , allowing fumes from under the car or from the tips to come in through the trunk.

Use OEM gaskets! The ones OBX sends out with their headers don't always seal perfectly, if you must use them, butter them thin/even on both sides with red or copper sensor safe RTV.

I've been in plenty cars with exhaust leaks that are horrendous inside the cabin, just fix the leak.
Old 02-07-16, 02:07 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have someone with thick gloves block the end of the exhaust. Start the engine, follow along the pipes for where the leak is. Replace.
Old 02-10-16, 05:39 PM
drizzygs3
Driver School Candidate

Ok thanks alot everyone I really appreciate the words it has been horrible dealing with this crap.

Everytime I told the mechanic there has to be a leak he said "no leak" and offered some other way to fix the problem, clearly that was a lie or joke for him. It is unbelievable what he did to this car...

Anyways I will go ahead with that.
Old 02-10-16, 09:33 PM
drizzygs3
Driver School Candidate

Im sorry for all the posts,

But can I put the obx header and downpipe back on, get the leak fixed, and still not have any issue with these fumes?

The downpipe has two high flow cats on it. The oem header is making a loud rattling sound which was my whole reason for starting this mess.

Thanks again.