GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Trouble starting. Gs400

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-16, 01:27 AM
Sawwcee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble starting. Gs400

Doesn't crank. Primes n gets fuel. Cluster dims when turn key. Had battery issues before. Bad starter? Battery? Low voltage? Igniter?
Old 01-06-16, 07:41 AM
azndriver
Driver

Originally Posted by Sawwcee
Doesn't crank. Primes n gets fuel. Cluster dims when turn key. Had battery issues before. Bad starter? Battery? Low voltage? Igniter?

How old is your battery? Condition of terminals?

Consider checking your crank position sensor, ecu, fuel and efi fuse as well
Old 01-06-16, 09:23 AM
Sawwcee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by azndriver
How old is your battery? Condition of terminals?

Consider checking your crank position sensor, ecu, fuel and efi fuse as well
Don't know how really old the battery is but got the car a year ago. Battery came with it. Terminals good. No erosion. I'll check the fuses today as soon as it stops pouring. Thanks
Old 01-06-16, 11:29 AM
STREETGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

look at the battery it should have a sticker with the year it was bought for example (98)
or sometimes it printed directly on the battery label also check the sides of the battery for that sticker

if u have or can get a hold of jumper cables try jumping the car, if your car turns on then its your battery,
now if your car turns on and u take it for a drive at it shuts down on you then its your alternator

now if u are jumping it and it just wont turn over, try hitting the starter a couple times as hard as u can, if it starts after hitting it than its your starter

keep us updated
Old 01-06-16, 11:58 AM
Sawwcee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by STREETGS
look at the battery it should have a sticker with the year it was bought for example (98)
or sometimes it printed directly on the battery label also check the sides of the battery for that sticker

if u have or can get a hold of jumper cables try jumping the car, if your car turns on then its your battery,
now if your car turns on and u take it for a drive at it shuts down on you then its your alternator

now if u are jumping it and it just wont turn over, try hitting the starter a couple times as hard as u can, if it starts after hitting it than its your starter

keep us updated
I doubt I can hit the starter since its under the intake manifold lol. I've jumped it before then died later. But that was when it was cranking. This time it's not. I'll check the battery in a bit as also the fuse since I haven't. Waiting for the rain to stop.
Old 01-06-16, 12:48 PM
STREETGS
Pole Position

better yet remove the battery and get it tested at auto zone,
if it passes then take the alternator, or take both at once
Old 01-06-16, 02:34 PM
KIS350
Driver

I'm currently having issues with my IS350...and tho oddly I have more than one issue apparently at the same time. My battery checked out good on the voltage and physically looked brand new...it was not good. It read 12.7 v which is over 75% discharge but it would bairly turn over and quicklywould stop trying...then the starter solenoid just did its chattering. Tried boostting it with a fully charged battery from the boat...turns out that battery is no good either. I replaced my Lexus battery with brand new and my car imediately turned over like new. Alternator was replaced a few months back and if I was smart I would've replaced the battery at that time too.

Currently looking into coils as why it won't actually start though...

Good luck!
Old 01-06-16, 02:42 PM
KIS350
Driver

Originally Posted by STREETGS
better yet remove the battery and get it tested at auto zone,
if it passes then take the alternator, or take both at once
I completely agree. It's easy and free and will answer your question for you. If the alternator is difficult to remove just try the battery first. If the cockpit (cause all Lexus' are rocket-ships) lights are dim with your battery being charged it's apparently not doing its job. Unless there's a huge parasitic draw happening on your battery. It's never a waist of money to buy a new battery.
Old 01-06-16, 09:01 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

If when you are turning the key to start and battery voltage drops below 10 volts; your battery needs attention.
If voltage stays at or above 10 volts; your starter may need attention.

Of coarse a voltmeter would be extremely helpful here...
Good luck
Old 01-06-16, 09:42 PM
Sawwcee
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=FrankT;9313006]If when you are turning the key to start and battery voltage drops below 10 volts; your battery needs attention.

Good luck[/QUOTE

I jump the car and it worked. Took it to autzone and got tested. My batterys done. Picked up a brand new battery. Thanks everybody I'm just glad it wasn't the starter lol
Old 01-09-16, 03:28 PM
LentoGS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Battery

[QUOTE=Sawwcee;9313053]
Originally Posted by FrankT
If when you are turning the key to start and battery voltage drops below 10 volts; your battery needs attention.

Good luck[/QUOTE

I jump the car and it worked. Took it to autzone and got tested. My batterys done. Picked up a brand new battery. Thanks everybody I'm just glad it wasn't the starter lol

Just saw this thread, but I would have told you to check the battery as it has all of the familiar signs of a fading battery. Glad to hear she is back and operational!