GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS300 wiring harness replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-16, 09:27 AM
lmadhavrao
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS300 wiring harness replacement?

I have a 2003 GS300. The positive terminal on the battery is corroded and the Lexus dealer tells me that the corrosion has seeped in about 1.5 feet and the only solution is to immediately replace the whole wiring harness. I was also told that it is dangerous to drive the vehicle.

The cost of replacing the wiring harness is more than $7000!

Is there an alternate (lower cost) solution to fixing this problem?
Has anyone had a similar experience?

The car is currently running fine.

Many thanks.
Old 01-03-16, 02:46 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Can you be more specific to the damage? I cant see more than like $50 bucks (off the top of my head) to redo it all, or maybe even find the harness for $20 bucks used off an old GS.

I dont know without looking what wires there are, but the only wires I can think of going to the battery is the wire to the alternator (maybe 8ft) to the starter I think (another 8 ft) and to the fuse box (maybe 1-2 ft) Even the best 4awg wire is like $2-$3 bucks a foot (do the math) the best ring terminals are maybe $5 bucks for a pair (you need 3 pairs). with quick math and unmeasured lengths, thats only $55 bucks.

I THINK that $7k is for the complete engine harness which doesnt make any sense to me needing to be replaced just because of corroded battery terminals. If you cant do the install yourself, I would think maybe about $60-$100 for installation from any shop. A stereo shop can even do the work (its basic wiring). This of course assuming its just the few wires that need to be replaced going to the battery.

Oh and what does he mean 'seeped in 1.5 ft'? Seeped into where

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 01-03-16 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-03-16, 04:09 PM
Bhubb18
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Second opinion time!
Old 01-03-16, 07:47 PM
lmadhavrao
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your reply. Dealer said the corrosion extended about 1.5 ft into the harness. They did mention that they have to replace the whole harness and to do the the engine would have to be taken out and put back in. Took it to Sears today for second opinion and they said just replacing the cable on one end and splicing the other cable will solve the problem just like you mentioned.

I am totally confused as to what is going on. Whether to go with dealer or do the Sears option first. You advice is definitely appreciated
Old 01-04-16, 04:39 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Gotta remember one thing when it comes to the dealership. People want to say stealership, but in actuality, the dealer wants to fix it right and completely replace whatever is broken and not ghetto rig it, no matter how proper and clean the rig is done. Its a liability thing, better to replace everything rather than just one piece.

As to the extended corrosion (again just guessing because there still are no pics), it sounds like you may have had a power surge or possibly a busted wire that is making contact somewhere on the body grounding out just enough to slowly eat away at the wire, yet not so bad that it effected driveability. If its the latter, thats yet another good reason why the dealer would replace the entire harness. Its easier to replace all of it rather than tracking down which of the mile worth of wiring is making contact on the engine. The 'corrosion' may be just on that wire, but doesnt necessarily mean its the culprit.

I say replace it and hope for the best. Just remember, when it comes to fixing ANYthing (whether its on a car or an electronic or anything in life) fixing what is broken doesn't always fix the cause of the problem
Old 01-04-16, 04:43 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Can we get a pic or do you know which wire it is? If its the starter wire or alternator wire, it could be something as simple as a bad connection to one of them, or possibly one of them is drawing too much amperage. Have you had any electrical issues, or starting issues?