GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

strange noises

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-15, 02:01 PM
zlidese3p
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange noises

I'll try to explain best I can...
So my 2gs300 started making squeaking noises in the front driver side wheel well. The noise was so slight that I couldn't pin point the issue. This noise would only occur when slightly turning to the left(about 1/8 of a rotation to the left of the steering wheel) and when bringing back to center slowly. It wouldn't make the noise when turning quickly. Now it's when I'm braking to a stop or accelerating as well. I inspected the suspension components and they all look fine. Any ideas?
Old 12-02-15, 02:55 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Is it a squeak or a creak?
Old 12-02-15, 03:08 PM
zlidese3p
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Is it a squeak or a creak?
A creak. Couldn't think of the word haha
Old 12-02-15, 05:50 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

I'd start by checking the joints on the upper control arm and lower ball joint. Have someone turn the wheel back and forth while you bend over/kneel down and take a listen to pinpoint the general location of the noise.
Old 12-04-15, 03:11 PM
zlidese3p
Driver School Candidate

It also only makes noises when driving straight or turning not when going over bumps at all
Old 12-04-15, 03:42 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Did you go under there yet?

I'm getting the creak as well, pretty sure its my upper control arm. Been too lazy to check. You need to get under there and reproduce the sound and find its location. If it rained recently and a boot is torn, the rain probably cleaned out all the grease and its now dry in there.

Get a look before this happens!

Old 12-05-15, 10:27 AM
zlidese3p
Driver School Candidate

Did you go under there yet?

I'm getting the creak as well, pretty sure its my upper control arm. Been too lazy to check. You need to get under there and reproduce the sound and find its location. If it rained recently and a boot is torn, the rain probably cleaned out all the grease and its now dry in there.

Get a look before this happens!

Looked under there while my friend turned the wheels for about 30 minutes and still can't pin point the issue. It's pretty loud so it's hard to tell the exact location. It makes everything vibrate over there also which also makes it difficult
Old 12-05-15, 11:00 AM
zlidese3p
Driver School Candidate

I did also find this piece broken honestly not sure what it is and if it would cause this noise
Old 12-05-15, 01:04 PM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by zlidese3p

I did also find this piece broken honestly not sure what it is and if it would cause this noise
It's the auto leveling mechanism for your headlights.
Old 12-05-15, 03:42 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Hard to diagnose over the internet. Next easy half *** shortcut thing to do is grab a can of WD40 and squirt each moving part one by one as the steering wheel is turned. Have him/her create the sound, spray some in the upper ball joint and keep twisting the wheel for another 10-20 seconds (giving the grease some time to find its way into the joint) then move on to the lower joint etc... If the sound goes away, then it will be that last part you sprayed and you'll know what to change, I dont like that way, but its the best way I can describe over the internet other than taking it in to get looked at. Its really not that hard though...

Another thing (better idea than the WD40), get a hold of a short hose (like 20" long or so) put it to your ear and place the other end to each joint and ANY where else under there while the wheel is being turned, its just a matter of finding where the sound it loudest.

and no, that broken piece (level sensor) doesnt cause noise.
Old 12-07-15, 05:03 AM
zlidese3p
Driver School Candidate

Hard to diagnose over the internet. Next easy half *** shortcut thing to do is grab a can of WD40 and squirt each moving part one by one as the steering wheel is turned. Have him/her create the sound, spray some in the upper ball joint and keep twisting the wheel for another 10-20 seconds (giving the grease some time to find its way into the joint) then move on to the lower joint etc... If the sound goes away, then it will be that last part you sprayed and you'll know what to change, I dont like that way, but its the best way I can describe over the internet other than taking it in to get looked at. Its really not that hard though...

Another thing (better idea than the WD40), get a hold of a short hose (like 20" long or so) put it to your ear and place the other end to each joint and ANY where else under there while the wheel is being turned, its just a matter of finding where the sound it loudest.

and no, that broken piece (level sensor) doesnt cause noise.
Appreciate all the help. Car will be going on a lift today to check it out.
Old 12-07-15, 03:29 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by zlidese3p
Appreciate all the help. Car will be going on a lift today to check it out.
Be advised that once its up, its possible that the noise will go away without a load on it.