GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New member with a question

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-15, 09:43 PM
cesargdl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member with a question

Hey, I am new member to the Lexus scene and have already been bitten by the mod bug.
Well the first thing I did was replace the original headunit to a double din pioneer headunit.
Now I purchased some aftermarket (high end) HID lighting kit for low beam and fog lights.
I connected everything as it should be but to my surprise no light.
Anyone have any ideas what is wrong? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 10-28-15, 12:10 AM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

cesargdl,

First, welcome to the club and forum.

Second, What year is your car?

Thrird, Do you change the plugs 180 degree to see what happen? If that not work, you need a HID Conversion Relay Wiring Harness Kit. See this item on eBay and you have the idea what I try the say to you. Item # 261280788017

My recomendation to you if you buy one of this is buy one with 40Am. Is better that the 30Am, but 30 Am work fine as well. Let us know your progress please.
Old 10-28-15, 09:52 AM
mveale
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcon
Thrird, Do you change the plugs 180 degree to see what happen?
This.

I've had several sets of HIDs where the plugs were backwards, although my GS is factory HID, so I haven't had any experience with these cars in particular.

Plug them in facing the opposite way. If they work, you can pull the wires/pins out of the plug and put them in the opposite way so that the harnesses connect using the existing latch. Or you can just leave them backwards and run a zip tie around the two harnesses between the +/- wires, which will hold together better than the existing latch anyway.
Old 10-28-15, 03:29 PM
cesargdl
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys for the replies. It's a 2002 GS300 sport design with factor halogen bulbs. The fitment is not an issue, the light with ballast and all doesn't turn on. I tried the fog lights which are 35watt 3000k and no luck either.
Old 10-28-15, 03:30 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mveale
This.

I've had several sets of HIDs where the plugs were backwards, although my GS is factory HID, so I haven't had any experience with these cars in particular.

Plug them in facing the opposite way. If they work, you can pull the wires/pins out of the plug and put them in the opposite way so that the harnesses connect using the existing latch. Or you can just leave them backwards and run a zip tie around the two harnesses between the +/- wires, which will hold together better than the existing latch anyway.
Thanks for you help bro. That is what I like from this forum. Alway is a good people here to help others.
Old 10-28-15, 03:41 PM
mate01
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Can anyone recommend a nice HID lighting kit? Specifically for a 2001 GS430. Thanks folks.
Old 10-28-15, 04:00 PM
cesargdl
Driver School Candidate

This is where I got my kit from. It's the second to most expensive. I have had them on several of cars with no issues.
http://www.ddmtuning.com/
Old 10-28-15, 09:50 PM
mveale
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cesargdl
Thanks guys for the replies. It's a 2002 GS300 sport design with factor halogen bulbs. The fitment is not an issue, the light with ballast and all doesn't turn on. I tried the fog lights which are 35watt 3000k and no luck either.
Right, I'm not suggesting you should put the bulb in backwards, I'm suggesting you should connect the HID wiring harness to your factory plug backwards. It's far more likely that the connections are backwards (reversed polarity) than it is that you received four bad bulbs or ballasts from DDM.

Basically, you want to connect your red wire (+) on the HID plug to your black wire (-) on the factory plug and vice versa. I believe the +/- wire from the factory plug are not red and black, though. If that concept makes sense to you, go try it.

If not, keep reading:

So think of it like plugging something into a two-prong wall socket. If it doesn't fit one way, flip it over the other way and it will fit. Except the HID plug doesn't have two different size prongs to ensure that it only gets plugged in one way. If it gets connected backwards, it simply won't turn on. Even though the harness may look like it's connected the right way, the polarity of the wires (+/-) can still be backwards. You need to connect the plug the opposite way to change the polarity.

If the plug won't fit the other way, you'll need to flip the position of the red and black wires in the plug. You can usually remove each metal wire prong from the plastic plug using a small pick (or something similar, like a needle). There's usually a small tab that needs to be pressed down, then you can pull the wire out of the back of the plastic plug.

If that's not the case, I'm sure there is an adapter that will plug in between the two and require no modification from you.
Old 11-02-15, 05:54 PM
cesargdl
Driver School Candidate

@mveale Thank you so much for the tip on reversing the plugs!!!
Old 11-03-15, 09:43 AM
mveale
Pole Position

@mveale Thank you so much for the tip on reversing the plugs!!!
You're welcome. Are they working now?
Old 11-03-15, 01:57 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

cesargdl,
I hope and that work for you. Because that was my thrird comment for you. cChange the plugs 180 degree to see what happen? But again, I hope and that work for you.
Also to mveale,
Thanks again bro for your help. That is what I like from this forum. Alway is a good people here to help others.**
Old 11-05-15, 09:11 AM
bsonnn
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Hid

This is where I got my kit from. It's the second to most expensive. I have had them on several of cars with no issues.
http://www.ddmtuning.com/
Hey Man, thanks for posting this! I plan on going HID in my Non-HID 01 GS300 and I was wondering which kit you went with on the website? And also were you able to fix your problem?
Old 11-07-15, 05:03 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

DDM is known to be cheap + decent with lifetime warranty. More prone to problems than some of the more expensive HID kits out there.

However, their customer service is terrible.