GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Questions For Retrofitters

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-15, 11:30 PM
Aristo722
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Organized Garage Status
Yes, it should be. We scrape out the old glue and reinstall a new one, to make sure there would be no gaps in the seal, then press everything together, screws and clamps, and we're done. No need to reheat if its new glue.
yeah Im using new glue, I don't need to reheat the new glue? Also, whats the best way to remove old glue? Heat it up and scrape it off, or just scrap it off...maybe using some goo gone?
Old 10-24-15, 05:59 AM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aristo722
My headlamps are HID Auto leving, will I still be able to retain that function with a projector?

I see most are doing 230-250 for 10 mins in the oven, I have an older oven so I think Ill go with 250 for 10mins. Whats best to pry it open with? A flat head screw driver or?
yes to auto leveling. i still have it

and use your hands to pry and screw driver for the little clips. use gloves of course. careful with handling the lense a lot
Old 10-24-15, 07:43 AM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Unfortunately there is no short cut to taking the old glue off. Heat and scrape, heat and scrape... LOL And yes, no need to heat up the new glue, unless it's hard to manage, but it's not necessary.
Old 10-24-15, 09:58 PM
kowala
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the middle of doing my second retro and yeah it's a pain, but removing the lens is the only part that takes the most patience, the rest is easy! Heating up and scraping off is the best method of removing the old glue. Here's a tip, keep a razor blade around so that you can cut off the glue the dries up on the screw driver. Also, for our headlights, start by working the edge of the inner high beam (by where the inside tab is located) that's going to be the easiest area to start prying open. Once that starts to separate, the rest will come easy, it can be very time consuming and intimidating the first time around, but being patient is key. I'm thinking of making a DIY video so hopefully it'll help you out a bit more.

Last edited by kowala; 10-24-15 at 10:13 PM.
Old 10-25-15, 09:54 AM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by kowala
I'm in the middle of doing my second retro and yeah it's a pain, but removing the lens is the only part that takes the most patience, the rest is easy! Heating up and scraping off is the best method of removing the old glue. Here's a tip, keep a razor blade around so that you can cut off the glue the dries up on the screw driver. Also, for our headlights, start by working the edge of the inner high beam (by where the inside tab is located) that's going to be the easiest area to start prying open. Once that starts to separate, the rest will come easy, it can be very time consuming and intimidating the first time around, but being patient is key. I'm thinking of making a DIY video so hopefully it'll help you out a bit more.
A video would be sweet, I gotta do this over the winter.
Old 10-25-15, 11:17 AM
Aristo722
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kowala
A video would be very helpful!
Old 10-28-15, 04:34 PM
Aristo722
Pole Position

So I'm half way through my retro fit. BIG THANKS for telling me about the heat gun method. Such an easier and cleaner method. I put my first one in the oven, 10 mins later it came out and was messy, I didn't get any butyl on the housing, but just a big sticky mess. With the heat gun it was not only faster, but cleaner. Glue separated much easier, thus allowing a cleaner opening. Thanks!
Old 10-28-15, 05:40 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi Guys,
What are you think about this?
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/H1...tor-Shrouds-PR
Just I want to know your opinion of maybe work or not. Thanks,
Old 10-28-15, 08:31 PM
Aristo722
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mcon
Hi Guys,
What are you think about this?
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/H1...tor-Shrouds-PR
Just I want to know your opinion of maybe work or not. Thanks,
Nah, try any of these

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...s/shrouds.html
Old 10-29-15, 12:47 PM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

DDM Tuning is always a good alternative for "on a budget builds". I have personally had their HID kit for 5 years, and have never experienced any kind of problem with it. It even have a lifetime warranty on it. But TRS is definitely the way to go if you want the most out of any build you do.