GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Keep satnav, but replace the stereo with non OE

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-15, 06:43 AM
carcathan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep satnav, but replace the stereo with non OE

I've been searching the threads but can't see anything similar.

Has anyone managed to mount a non OE stereo below the existing sat nav screen unit, but keeping the nav etc. Are there any technical issues in keeping the oe satnav without the oe stereo?

I've got a 2002 GS430, with the sat but just the Pioneer stereo/CD changer/amp in the front (rather than the ML set up with the amp in the boot). UK car but i assume that shouldn't make much difference.

I'd like to add bluetooth and USB etc - if everything worked well i'd go for a GROM unit or similar but as it stands the radio doesn't work and hasn't done for several years according to the previous owner. Replacement radio/amps are hard to find in the UK and more expensive than a updated stereo.

But I actually like the sat nav and can update the (UK/europe) disc for not much to 2011(ish) so i'm keen to keep this. I also like the aircon controls on the screen, so that part of the system is fine and i think it suits the car. So i'm not interested in replacing it all with a newer double din unit (i'd also need to buy a non-sat nav aircon fascia unit too).

The most cost effective solution so far as i can see is to buy a good spec (probably second-hand) Kenwood / Pioneer stereo with bluetooth and rear USB, i can power speakers from the stereo's own amp. Hopefully the existing pioneer speakers are more 'normal' than the ML ones - but if not I already have suitable upgrade speakers from another project, and an amp/sub to replace the oe one if needed too.

I did try running the sat without the radio and that didn't seem to work, so i assume it needs to remain connected to the oe radio and amp - or is there some other work around? If necessary i'm sure i can relocate the oe radio unit behind the dash and it can just lie dormant. The only thing i may do is pull out the oe radio fascia plate and use that as the basis for a diy tailor-made mount for the new stereo to try and tie it all in again.

Any thoughts or experiences anyone?
Old 10-16-15, 03:39 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Check out out DIY page, you'll get some other ideas. No need to add a complete stereo to add those functions. There are devices that can be added to the stock setup which you can add bluetooth, USB or any other auxiliary device to
Old 10-17-15, 10:33 AM
carcathan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response. But it's not the adding bluetooth/usb that's the problem - it's the fact that the radio doesn't work and is likely to need a new head unit and/or amp. This means replacing the oe radio hu with a new aftermarket hu with good internal amp that also ticks of the Bluetooth/usb upgrade seems a good solution.
The only alternative would be use the phone as the radio - but I don't see that working so well.
So anyone with a gen 2 kept the nav but replaced the hu with aftermarket.