GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Best AUX Input Mod; Radio Antenna Alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-15, 03:15 AM
simon1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best AUX Input Mod; Radio Antenna Alternatives

Hi Guys

I've been stalking these forums for a few months now, being a fresh 1998 GS300 owner. I've done some research and found more than one way to install an AUX input for 2nd gen GS models. I was hoping that people who have applied these different methods can suggest which one would the best one regarding sound quality and difficulty of installation.
The radio unit in my GS is the one with the touch-screen and navigation. I never have and never will use cassettes and for that reason I would like to go that way, but the tutorial video is made with the radio unit without navigation. On the other hand, does using CD changer for it result in not being able to listen to regular CDs completely? Anyways, I'm hoping for suggestions on which way to go.

Also, on the car window there is a sticker that says, that the radio will not work if removed. Under what conditions does this happen? How to avoid it?

The second thing I would like to get some information on is the retractable radio antenna. The problem with mine is that the plastic gear which moves the antenna mast up and down is a bit worn and therefore the motor struggles to raise the mast without helping it a bit manually. It does a really nasty grinding noise while doing that which I imagine is not healthy for any gear system. It pulls down with ease though.

This brings me to ask if there are any reasonable alternatives to this extremely unreasonable system (especially in country, where winter temperatures can drop to -30C or -22F degrees which can easily freeze the antenna mast and cause even more problems when trying to raise it)?

I've done a lot of searching on Google and Lexus forums trying to find a good solution for this. I did in fact find out, that it is possible to use the car phone antenna, but this thread was for an older LS model, which had an extra antenna on the rear windshield. This gave me a glimmer of hope that I would not have to go with an ugly aftermarket alternative antenna (fixed mast, shark fin, aftermarket windshield antenna). My GS does not have any visible extra antennas, but it has the car phone hidden in the armrest.

Has anyone faced the same problem before? I would be extremely grateful if anyone had the time to read my post and reply with some useful information.

Sorry for the long post.

Cheers,
Simon

Last edited by simon1; 10-12-15 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-12-15, 09:50 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

AUX:
I doubt you will find many if any members that have applied more than one Aux input addition method. It’s usually one or the other. I have done the CD changer method. If I remember correctly it can be done with relays and/or extra switches to make it selectable between the CD changer and the input. I just hijacked the changer audio connection completely and never looked back. I haven’t owned any CD's in a long while crazy as that sounds.

Radio removal issue:
As far as I know that sticker is just a theft deterrent. I cannot recall hearing of any issues removing and reinstalling the head units. I took my navigation unit out several times and there were no issues.

Power antenna:
I only recall reading one other thread on a 2GS power antenna. North American market modes have the antenna intergraded into the rear window so it not a common subject. Hopefully someone will chime in and help you out.