GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Why I won't run a K&N or other oil wetted filter

Old 08-10-15, 02:58 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Why I won't run a K&N or other oil wetted filter

Good reading for those who are into filtering...

I would love to see this done on a GS air filter, as these are a noted different design than the typical GM style panel filters.

I have a Amsoil panel filter for a BMW 7 series (I think, it is from a V8 BMW) is in mine that is more like the AC Delco style tested in the test, but not the same (obviously). I am going to a new one soon, this one is getting tired.... Amsoil no longer makes air filters.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/debunking...r-t180100.html
Old 08-12-15, 09:37 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

As a was looking on Amazon for Air filters last month and saw they had AC Delco filters for GS400/430.. I didn't know they were any good but it is available,..
Old 08-13-15, 10:08 AM
DMPesso
Pole Position

Received 177 Likes on 149 Posts

yea I took that POS K & N out a while ago as I didn't notice a difference and cleaning it is ANNOYING and pointless. Swapping clean new filters is better. FRAM or AC Delco, whatever is available.
Old 08-13-15, 01:14 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by DMPesso
yea I took that POS K & N out a while ago as I didn't notice a difference and cleaning it is ANNOYING and pointless. Swapping clean new filters is better. FRAM or AC Delco, whatever is available.
I agree. The same thing here. It only sounds good, yet it's doing more harm than good. I threw mine away, yet I wish I would've put it on eBay to get something for it
Old 08-14-15, 11:21 AM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

I have some old Amsoil videos from the 90's showing how much dirt a K&N passes compared to a paper filter. You won't want to run a K&N if that is an issue.

Dirt coming in the filter shows up as ring wear, it can get in the oil if bad enough and show up on oil analysis. But to me that is REALLY bad at that point.

You can't feel 1-2 hp anyway, heck, one would be hard pressed to see 10 hp at the SOTPDyno (Seat of the Pants Dyno)... We don't drag race our cars on a daily basis, we often buy a Lexus for longevity. Ill run a paper filter... I like the design of the GS filter. Its a nice solid frame and good design.
Old 08-14-15, 11:39 AM
wbmx1981
Advanced

That oil off the oil wetted filter can also mess with the MAF sensor.
Old 08-14-15, 01:20 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

YUP!!! seen more than a few of those....

Originally Posted by wbmx1981
That oil off the oil wetted filter can also mess with the MAF sensor.
Old 08-20-15, 10:13 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

I think if you read the article, it isn't that AC Delco is the Best Filter of all time.. The AC Delco represents the OEM Filter against K&N and other Brand filters. Any OEM Filter can be in the place of the AC/Delco, but this specific test happens to be an AC Filter because the guy performing the Test owns a "GM Duramax Diesel" (AC Delco is Representing for all OEM's like Lexus or Toyota or whatever you drive)

Ram, I think you got carried away because the OEM Filter won and it happened to be an AC Delco filter, it easy to think, oh wow that AC may be the best filter ever.. its just an OEM filter.. so just buy OEM for your specific make, don't need to buy an AC Delco just because the test use AC Delco as its OEM standing point against K&N..

Thanks.
Old 08-20-15, 12:38 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Where did I say something about ACDelco being best? I posted the article to read about oil wetted filters and why I won't run them.

ACDelco is very good at trapping fine dirt, better than most on average, at least for that specific filter application. AFAIK ACDelco doesn't make a filter for a Lexus. If they sell one, I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't the actual manufacturer.

What the article shows is there is a significant tradeoff in dirt trapping vs airflow. And how much dirt passes.

My point was soley one thing, K&N (and most other oil wetted filters) filters aren't that good at anything for a street driven car.

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
I think if you read the article, it isn't that AC Delco is the Best Filter of all time.. The AC Delco represents the OEM Filter against K&N and other Brand filters. Any OEM Filter can be in the place of the AC/Delco, but this specific test happens to be an AC Filter because the guy performing the Test owns a "GM Duramax Diesel" (AC Delco is Representing for all OEM's like Lexus or Toyota or whatever you drive)

Ram, I think you got carried away because the OEM Filter won and it happened to be an AC Delco filter, it easy to think, oh wow that AC may be the best filter ever.. its just an OEM filter.. so just buy OEM for your specific make, don't need to buy an AC Delco just because the test use AC Delco as its OEM standing point against K&N..

Thanks.
Old 08-20-15, 08:16 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RamAirRckt
I have a Amsoil panel filter for a BMW 7 series (I think, it is from a V8 BMW) is in mine that is more like the AC Delco style tested in the test, but not the same (obviously). I am going to a new one soon, this one is getting tired.... Amsoil no longer makes air filters.
This is what you wrote, sorry if mis-interpret you but it seemed you IMPLIED that you are getting an AC Delco because Amsoil didn't make filters anymore because Amsoil is similar to the AC Delco.. I guess I inferred that Amsoil is the best and on the test the AC Delco (OEM) did better than the Amsoil..

Anyways, thanks for the article. I ran a K&N for many years on my GS and after I did an oil analysis a few years back, the test came back high in Silicon which was the result of K&N letting too much dirt in which then I reverted back to Stock OEM Filter. The Article is all true.. I'm glad I went back to the OEM filter, my oil will last longer..

Last edited by 1QWKGS4; 08-20-15 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-21-15, 08:44 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Thanks for sharing that link. Lots of good info there. Looks I'll be swapping out my K&N's as well.
Old 08-21-15, 12:15 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Nice find, I only run OEM filters as well. If an oil wetted style truly was better, it would've come on the car from the factory.
Old 08-21-15, 02:49 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

I got looking at it close years ago when I picked my Supercharged Buick. Being the air came in from the air filter to the supercharger, dirt notoriously scores the walls of the blower causing leakage long term. The blower has 220k miles on it, I had it apart to do some intake work and it still looked pretty good inside. Of course, I couldn't leave well enough alone, and bought me a die grinder and did some porting.... Yeah, it ran better!
Old 08-24-15, 12:52 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

A very old filter test, note that the Amsoil filter here is no longer made and hasn't been for a long time.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

Not a perfect scientific test, but still shows a good comparison of oil wetted vs paper air filters and how much dirt is passed.
Old 08-24-15, 01:08 PM
chazman6
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air Filter Change

According to my RX maintenance schedule, an air filter change is not mandated until 36 months or 30K miles
with normal driving conditions.

Is it really worth the effort to take apart and check before those guidelines ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why I won't run a K&N or other oil wetted filter