GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Rear View Camera

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-15, 06:38 AM
PandaGS300
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear View Camera

Hey everyone,

So i bought a Pioneer double din, with backup camera capability.

Bought one of the popular backup cameras off ebay that guys use here.

Now i need to know what wires are for reverse to activate the headunit.

Also, do i need to run a sepearate power wire for the backup camera or can i just feed off the factory reverse wire.

Its a little confusing but just needed some clarity.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-31-15, 05:46 PM
jorhelj
Rookie

just ground the negative wire from the Camera to metal inside the trunk on the passenger side and while you are there unplug the Back up light bulb from your tail lights use a voltmeter and find the positive wire tap into it and wire the positive power wire from the camera and run 1 power wire to the back of the Head Unit it should be labeled rear or back up and that's it as soon as you throw your car into revers the back up lights light up and activate the back up camera.
Old 07-31-15, 09:57 PM
SenecaRex
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Exactly how i've done it in the past ^^^
Old 08-03-15, 12:10 PM
PandaGS300
Driver

Originally Posted by jorhelj
just ground the negative wire from the Camera to metal inside the trunk on the passenger side and while you are there unplug the Back up light bulb from your tail lights use a voltmeter and find the positive wire tap into it and wire the positive power wire from the camera and run 1 power wire to the back of the Head Unit it should be labeled rear or back up and that's it as soon as you throw your car into revers the back up lights light up and activate the back up camera.
Thats not too much power being drawn from the Reverse wire?
Old 08-03-15, 02:21 PM
jorhelj
Rookie

Originally Posted by PandaGS300
Thats not too much power being drawn from the Reverse wire?
No it's fine
Old 08-03-15, 10:05 PM
Fromthesha
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the wire in a different pin or a different color in different cars? Just wondering why noone just says what color wire in what pin it is. Just to save everyone from breaking out the multimeter. Panda, let us know which wire and I will check my harness, i just bought a backup camera after reading your post
Old 08-05-15, 12:13 PM
Foob
Driver

Sub'd to this thread
Old 08-05-15, 12:31 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Fromthesha
Is the wire in a different pin or a different color in different cars? Just wondering why noone just says what color wire in what pin it is. Just to save everyone from breaking out the multimeter. Panda, let us know which wire and I will check my harness, i just bought a backup camera after reading your post
I doubt anyone who did this install took note of the wire colors and kept them handy in preparation for other members who do not want to use their own multimeter or test light. Everyone so far is suggesting the quick and easy solution they used.

If possible, you should report back with the wire colors, or even better put together a DIY on it. A reverse camera install is definitely missing from the 2GS DIY thread and would be a great addition.
Old 08-05-15, 07:43 PM
Fromthesha
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Debonair
I doubt anyone who did this install took note of the wire colors and kept them handy in preparation for other members who do not want to use their own multimeter or test light. Everyone so far is suggesting the quick and easy solution they used.

If possible, you should report back with the wire colors, or even better put together a DIY on it. A reverse camera install is definitely missing from the 2GS DIY thread and would be a great addition.
Lol I guess you're right, and not to take anything away from their advice, I'm just surprised that, will all the info on this forum, nobody has diagramed it. I will report back when I get a chance.
Old 08-05-15, 10:50 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

what type of Pioneer model did you go with?
Old 07-07-16, 03:25 PM
Agent$mith
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bumped an old post. The power wire is red/blue and the ground is white/black. I just did my rear camera.
The following users liked this post:
LSUGS430 (09-10-22)
Old 07-13-16, 10:23 PM
Foob
Driver

Thanks AgentSmith!
Old 09-03-16, 02:27 PM
Foob
Driver

Default Hooked up my camera. One problemo

How do I get the camera to automatically turn on on my dash? I've got a kenwood 372bluetooth model with camera interuptions on. I have to manually put the headunit to r camera, then throw the car into reverse for the screen to show the camera. And the camera doesn't get power without me going into reverse. What gives? Followed all the directions from agent smith.
Old 09-03-16, 11:29 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

get your 12V+ power from the switched ACC like cigarette lighter.

You are getting the 12V+ from your reverse wire, that's why no power until you go to Reverse
Old 09-04-16, 10:47 AM
Foob
Driver

So the only way i could get it to work correctly is to run a power wire from the trunk all the way to the front cig lighter?

Quick Reply: Rear View Camera