GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Rear fender mudflaps (temporary/permanent)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-15, 05:25 AM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear fender mudflaps (temporary/permanent)

I have a small but annoying problem.

Before my mot test I have to add mudflaps to cover the tire thread 50 degrees from the center of the wheel towards back and 30 degrees towards front.

Let me explain it to you with pictures.

Area where the tire thread can't be seen if looked directly behind or front of the car:

Approx. the shape of the mudflap to cover enough thread:

So my options are to put temporary pieces of rubber or something similar to cover the thread or make it permanent.
If I make it permanent it has to look good and I doubt I can achieve that..

Any (diy) suggestions?

Last edited by Lutkis; 07-22-15 at 05:36 AM.
Old 07-22-15, 07:17 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't think there are any mudflaps being made specifically for the 2GS. If there is/was they would not start from where you need them to start. They would probably be much lower.

I think you will need to get some rubber truck flaps and trim to fit. You can make a pattern with cardboard and then transfer it to the rubber. Hoefully you have autopart stores that stock them like we do.
Old 07-22-15, 05:26 PM
JamesBond1
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not just temporary bolt over some wheels that are not as aggressive? Do you have your stock wheels or a friend you can borrow a set off of?

If not then the truck flaps that Debonair mentioned sound like a good idea, however, I personally wouldn't make it permanent; just something to take off right after and put back when needed.
Old 07-22-15, 10:13 PM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JamesBond1
Why not just temporary bolt over some wheels that are not as aggressive? Do you have your stock wheels or a friend you can borrow a set off of?
Well I have my stock 17" wheels but the point is to get those wheels passed too so I don't get fined if the cops stop me.

I don't know how it goes the rest of the world but in here you have to get coilovers, new wheels (if the diameter changes more than 1") etc. MOT'd separately after you've installed them to your car.
Also one thing related to lowering is that you have to have atleast 8cm clearance from the chassis to the ground to get passed from MOT. Obviously people raise their cars and then lower them again after the MOT.

Maybe I'll just go with the rubber sheet and cut proper pieces out of it and install it with double sided tape or something.
It won't look good but if it's temporary it doesn't matter.
Old 07-23-15, 06:07 PM
JamesBond1
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lutkis
I don't know how it goes the rest of the world but in here you have to get coilovers, new wheels (if the diameter changes more than 1") etc. MOT'd separately after you've installed them to your car.
I see, pardon my ignorance.

Originally Posted by Lutkis
It won't look good but if it's temporary it doesn't matter.
If its temporary, then why go through the trouble if you're just going to remove it

Is there some short of paper or card you receive that you show the cop saying that it legally passed the inspection even though he can clearly see the violation?

Last edited by JamesBond1; 07-23-15 at 06:16 PM. Reason: further clarification
Old 07-23-15, 11:55 PM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

If its temporary, then why go through the trouble if you're just going to remove it
I must have them in the inspection. After that I either ditch them or keep them on.

Is there some short of paper or card you receive that you show the cop saying that it legally passed the inspection even though he can clearly see the violation?
I have a registration paper and the MOT guy updates it with the new coilovers and wheel specs.
If I have to show it to the cops they can clearly see that both of them have been registrated to my car and has passed inspection.

If however the MOT guy puts down a note on the registration paper saying that I have installed mudflaps to make the car legal wheel-wise and I get pulled over and the cop sees that I have removed the mudflaps I get fined or just a notification that I have to install the mudflaps back on.

Finnish traffic legislation sucks *****. Everything must be TÜV tested and passed before you can put it in your car and sometimes not even then.

Edit: Then there's the difference between the MOT offices.
For example my BC coils. The first office I went said to me I can't get the BC's passed because they haven't been TÜV tested and approved to my particular car model (the general TÜV approval for the coils itself isn't enough).
The second office I went took a brief look at my papers and told me that there's no problem getting them passed the inspection.

Last edited by Lutkis; 07-24-15 at 12:02 AM.
Old 07-24-15, 07:23 AM
rogzballz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's annoying ... try

http://www.rallyarmor.com/index.php/...flaps-c-60_116
Old 07-26-15, 11:38 PM
Lutkis
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rogzballz
Thanks. Those are actually one of the best I've seen and they look like they're easy to modify too.