GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

AC passenger side temp stuck on heat while passenger side will blow ice cold, has any

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-15, 12:40 PM
LouLee
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AC passenger side temp stuck on heat while passenger side will blow ice cold, has any

Gents,

My son has a 1999 Lexus GS 300 and his passenger side AC seems to be stuck on heat (hi temp heat, not just hot air) while his passenger side AC will blow AC just fine. I live in Florida and his AC is crucial. It seems to be stuck on heat, almost as if the temp button responds visually but wont allow for anything other than heat to blow manually. I checked his Freon pressure and it shows he's good. He is not in need of a Freon recharge. His AC works fine on passenger side but only heat blows on driver side. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Worth noting: He went to disconnect the his radio once in a rush to install a new one and accidentally cut his AC wires in doing so. But he since then went back in and rewired it all correctly. Before the radio incident his AC worked fine.
Old 07-20-15, 02:57 PM
CAKETOWN
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Servo motor?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ete-guide.html

Last edited by CAKETOWN; 07-20-15 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-20-15, 05:18 PM
bbass83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 to checking the Servo motor. I reinstalled the drivers side incorrectly last time I cleaned it and the driver side blasted hot air no matter what the temperature was set to (passenger side was fine). Pulled it and reseated it, everything went back to normal. Check the thread posted above, it might be dirty or shot.
Old 07-21-15, 08:10 AM
LouLee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CAKETOWN
Thank you, very helpful.
Old 07-21-15, 08:17 AM
LouLee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bbass83
+1 to checking the Servo motor. I reinstalled the drivers side incorrectly last time I cleaned it and the driver side blasted hot air no matter what the temperature was set to (passenger side was fine). Pulled it and reseated it, everything went back to normal. Check the thread posted above, it might be dirty or shot.
bbass, thanks a million. You guys are great on this site. I will definitely look into this as soon as I get out of work. Wish I could show my level of appreciation some how.
Old 07-21-15, 08:29 AM
LouLee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LouLee
Thank you, very helpful.
This makes tons of sense Caketown...I'm stoked. Can't wait to get out of work to look into it, thanks for taking the time to help. I really mean that.
Old 07-21-15, 12:47 PM
CAKETOWN
Intermediate

This makes tons of sense Caketown...I'm stoked. Can't wait to get out of work to look into it, thanks for taking the time to help. I really mean that.
No problem man, i couldn't imagine not having a/c in florida! Let us know when you get it fixed up.
Old 07-21-15, 01:48 PM
LouLee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CAKETOWN
No problem man, i couldn't imagine not having a/c in florida! Let us know when you get it fixed up.

LOL...exactly. Ok will do. Looks like I'll be getting out of work late tonight so I wont be able to check his car due to loss of day light but I will keep you all posted on my progress.
Old 07-23-15, 11:10 PM
shwalker07
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

You have 4 servos total and I took apart and cleaned the contacts of 3 of my servos (driver side temp servo, passenger side temp servo and the vent position blend door servo). The passenger side servo was the most time consuming one but overall a easy job with only a few tools needed. Mine were clicking and not moving. Inside the servo box the contacts get very dirty and don't make a good connection. Maybe you can take yours apart then clean the contacts and re grease the plastic gears.
Old 07-30-15, 01:16 PM
LouLee
Driver School Candidate

LOL...exactly. Ok will do. Looks like I'll be getting out of work late tonight so I wont be able to check his car due to loss of day light but I will keep you all posted on my progress.
It worked!!! Thanks a bunch, I really appreciate the help. I love this forum. You guys are great.
Old 07-30-15, 01:17 PM
LouLee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by shwalker07
You have 4 servos total and I took apart and cleaned the contacts of 3 of my servos (driver side temp servo, passenger side temp servo and the vent position blend door servo). The passenger side servo was the most time consuming one but overall a easy job with only a few tools needed. Mine were clicking and not moving. Inside the servo box the contacts get very dirty and don't make a good connection. Maybe you can take yours apart then clean the contacts and re grease the plastic gears.

It worked! Thanks a million for your input. We have cold AC again in my sons car. No more sweaty backs.
Old 07-30-15, 01:21 PM
LouLee
Driver School Candidate

It worked!!! Thanks a bunch, I really appreciate the help. I love this forum. You guys are great. Thanks to all who took the time out of your busy lives to reply and help.
Old 07-30-15, 08:02 PM
CAKETOWN
Intermediate

Glad it worked man!
Old 07-31-15, 06:40 AM
LouLee
Driver School Candidate

Yes sir, absolutely did. I would have never guessed it on my own. We took it to a shop and they wanted $150 right of the bat to run a diagnosis/dye to check for leaks even though I told him we were good on Freon. You guys saved me a ton of cash of which I don't currently have right now, I'm grateful.
Old 08-02-15, 06:52 AM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by shwalker07
Shwalker07,

The vent position blend door servo like you said. The right name is Mode Servo Motor. Just for future reference. LOL

Also, I want to let you know thanks again for help me with my similary issue that I have with my car. But in my baby was low on freon. I still love this site. A lot of excellent guys help other.

Last edited by Mcon; 08-02-15 at 04:49 PM.